advertisement

Potty Fi

S-Man

StrivingON
I can listen to music all day from hard disc or inernet radio, but I can't take more than 15mins of Spotify and I just get bored.

In all cases playback is via Moode audio. I'm on Potty Premium, which I think is 320KBPS. I can happily listen to 320K off hard disc.

What are they doing to the music to make it sound so shite???

I can listen to music all day from hard disc or inernet radio, but I can't take more than 15mins of Spotify and I just get bored.

In all cases playback is via Moode audio. I'm on Potty Premium, which I think is 320KBPS. I can happily listen to 320K off hard disc.

Make a decision man. Shit or get off the potty.

Under "Settings - Playback" I have now unchecked 'Enable Audio Normalisation".
Not sure what this does, but it doesn't sound helpful.

Also: no crossfade, eq off, autoplay off, Play Feedback sounds is off.

Are there other settings to check?
Edit: just found that Music Quality was set to Auto. I have now changed it to V High. Let's see if it's true!

Edit: just found that Music Quality was set to Auto. I have now changed it to V High. Let's see if it's true!

Your verdict?
Mac

no issue with sound quality here either, I mainly stream to a Naim Atom, Beosound 2 or in the cars. For me it's a modern day version of the listening booth in a record shop.

Try before buy and discover new stuff.

Always set to v high quality as I have a generous mobile data plan.

It’s obvious that some people have a problem with Spotify sound and others don’t, and my guess is that this may be a hearing issue. I don’t like Spotify sound myself, and never have done, but I have noticed that over the past few months I’m hearing the difference between Spotify and Qobuz less clearly :eek:

As far as what they’re doing to compromise sound quality, I don’t believe that Spotify sound is 320kbps VBR. There’s another thing - there’s a technique called “brick walking” which involves compressing the peaks of sound in order to be able to play it louder. Others here will know much more about this than I do. I strongly suspect that Spotify do this to their streams in order to let them have maximal impact through extreme low fi equipment (phones etc.)

Spotify uses 320kbps Ogg Vorbis.

I don't think they put a brick wall limiter globally but there is the option, on by default, to normalise the volume from track to track. That may or may not degrade the audio quality. My intuition says that if you digitally manipulate an audio file that has been subjected to lossy compression, you risk introducing or compounding artifacts. However, I don't really know, so take that as the speculation that it is.

It’s obvious that some people have a problem with Spotify sound and others don’t, and my guess is that this may be a hearing issue. I don’t like Spotify sound myself, and never have done, but I have noticed that over the past few months I’m hearing the difference between Spotify and Qobuz less clearly :eek:

It could also be bandwidth issue, especially if the quality is set to Auto.

Auto normalization just means that all tracks will be played at roughly same level. This is very useful when listening to playlists.

My Android client also has the 'Volume level' option. AFAIK, if you set it to 'High' it means that the playback is adapted to loud environments -> dynamics may be compressed. Best to keep it 'Low'.

Does the normalise volume option serve up a different file, or does it process it locally? If local that might be the issue.

Well it's sounding pretty decent now. Vastly better than before... so thanks for the help.

I have found a playlist called "Songs to Test Headphones With". I have had some fun with this through my 'roomphones' (flat to 10Hz) this morning ;).
I really need to sort out my light fittings and the passive radiator door for this sort of nonsense though.

advertisement

Back