advertisement

Vaccine recipients....

One of my friends was vaccinated at Loisa Jordan Hospital here in Glasgow yesterday and he said it was one of the slickest and most well-planned deliveries of public service he's ever seen. He's a senior manager in delivering public services in another sphere, but he was mightily impressed all the same. Apparently, it was a very human experience in that he wasn't rushed in and then rushed out. The nurses engaged in polite and caring conversation. 10/10 at the Louisa Jordan!

One of my friends was vaccinated at Loisa Jordan Hospital here in Glasgow yesterday and he said it was one of the slickest and most well-planned deliveries of public service he's ever seen. He's a senior manager in delivering public services in another sphere, but he was mightily impressed all the same. Apparently, it was a very human experience in that he wasn't rushed in and then rushed out. The nurses engaged in polite and caring conversation. 10/10 at the Louisa Jordan!

everyone I know whose had a vax says the same. Some at Lister in Stevenage, some at the GP led centre on our campus, and others in Edgware. Seems to be working well.

Good on Glasgow!

I am 81. This morning I had my first shot at a large G.P. centre in Southwark, south London, (the Artesian Centre, Grange Rd.). I expected to find a disorganised , incompetent mess- typical of anything even remotely connected with Southwark Council.

Instead I experienced clockwork precision, efficiency, courtesy and an impressive display of British competence.

As soon as any patient got up from their waiting seat an operative wiped the entire seat and arm rests with an antiviral cloth.

There were free face masks and antiviral cloths and disinfectents readily available.

There were probably at least 50 people there. I saw only one without face covering. She was accompanying her (obese) husband. I kept well away from her.

The nurse who gave me the jab even allowed me to stand- after she requested that I sit. I asked her how many the centre would be vaccinating today. She said '300'!.

The vaccines we are rolling out now does not prevent you from getting infected by the Coronavirus and so you can still spread it even though the risk of that will be reduced significantly. What it will do with 95% or so efficiency is to prevent you from getting COVID from the virus and even if you get sick, the sickness will be less severe.

But because a vaccinated person could potentially still get infected and spread the virus, getting vaccinated does not mean you can stop being careful. But because sick people spread the virus far more than asymptomatic carriers it will not only prevent deaths but slow down the spread of the virus significantly once we start having enough people vaccinated. There are other vaccines in development aiming to make you immune to even get infected in the first place, but as I understand it, those won't likely be available until 2022.
I will have to update this as it seems the vaccine, will in fact prevent the spreading of the virus very effectively and not just prevent you from getting sick from it. 100 out of 102 surveyed personnel who had received both vaccine shots developed more antibodies that people who actually recovered from COVID and got their antibodies that way.

Regev-Yohai also added that people who received both doses of the vaccine will most likely not become carriers of the virus and will not spread it further due to the high level of antibodies.
Source: COVID antibodies increase 6-20 times week after 2nd dose of Pfizer shot, study says (ynetnews.com)

EDIT: this is the same news as above essentially

Neighbour took his 85 year old mother for her jab to the place she was directed, a pharmacy in Macclesfield.
Her appt was 16.40.
It was done after 18.00.
Luckily he was driving so they could wait in his car warm and dry.
Imagine the poor sods queuing up outside.

Is this not an oxymoron, Eguth? :

Not, Mike, so far as I can see.

"OXYMORON... pointed conjunction of seeming contradictories..."

Where are the contradictories in my prosaic prose?

British competence may be, at times, impressive. At other times it may even amount to a display. It could even be simultaneously impressive and a display, no?

Pleonasm, Shirley.

"PLEONASM...redundancy of expression..."
My senile brain may be suffering from an overdose of redundancy.

However, upon this occassion I fail to see what is superflous in 'impressive display of British competence'.

We could have an impressive display of: 1) British competence; 2) British incompetence; 3) British performance lying in the inbetween (1) & (2) -i.e.no-mans land; 4) British failure to do or say anything even faintly resembling either competence or incompetence.

However, this present post of mine may be an example of a pleonasm.

"PLEONASM...redundancy of expression..."
My senile brain may be suffering from an overdose of redundancy.

However, upon this occassion I fail to see what is superflous in 'impressive display of British competence'.

We could have an impressive display of: 1) British competence; 2) British incompetence; 3) British performance lying in the inbetween (1) & (2) -i.e.no-mans land; 4) British failure to do or say anything even faintly resembling either competence or incompetence.
No, no, no... British = competent. By definition. Also sensible, pragmatic. Pragmatic, especially.

advertisement

Back