advertisement

Best Rock Singers

IMO Doobie Brothers were overtly southern rock in the Johnston-era and became more soul/R&B-orientated when McDonald stepped in. A Michael McDonald solo concert definitely has a strong soulful vibe. Steely Dan are a genre unto themselves but the nearest category would probably be Smooth Jazz or Jazz Rock.

EDIT - Wikipedia lists McDonald as "blue-eyed soul, R&B, pop, and rock", I guess that covers it all!

He may be a master of soul and R&B, but classifying Michael McDonald as a rock singer is a bit of a stretch!

It might be a bit of a stretch... but thank you for agreeing that Michael McDonald is regarded as a rock singer. (along with all the other categories you listed)

Roky Erickson
Phil Lynott
Lou Reed
Julian Cope
Iggy
David Yow
Jello Biafra
Peter Perrett
Roger Daltrey ('78 and before)

Lots of good names so far. A couple more:

Lou Gramm of Foreigner - I only like a few of their songs but he had a great voice.
Steven Tyler of Aerosmith
Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes - not a particularly outstanding voice, but phenomenal timing.

Only two mentions of Roger Daltrey is a surprise agreed his voice starts to go after Who Are You but watch those old American tour videos and live at Charlton he is immense.
A
dmittedly he doesn't have the tone of Joe Cocker or Robert Plant but as a Rock singer he isn't bad is he especially compared to some of the names mentioned above and I have to agree with MVV Rod Stewart with the faces was a great Rock and Roll singer.

I saw a band called Reef live about 20 years ago and their lead singer had a great 'live' voice I just had to look his name up Gary Stringer so obviously not a legend but a great voice.

Ocean Colour Scene's lead singer Simon Fowler wasn't bad either and bringing things up to date Josh Teskey of The Teskey Brothers has a great Rock voice very soulful admittedly but still Rock and Roll.

Steve Marriott
Paul Rodgers
Ronnie James Dio
Graham Bonnet
(early) David Coverdale
David Byron (Uriah Heep)
James LaBrie (Dream Theater)
James Dewar
Jack Bruce

I sometimes wonder how Mk III Deep Purple would have developed, had they simply recruited a bass player, and not Glenn Hughes...

A lot of those who I would have mentioned have been mentioned but I will throw Rob Halfford into the mix, irrespective of liking Priest, definitely a rock voice!

Robert Plant
Paul Rodgers
Glenn Hughes when he doesn’t do the over the top stuff.
Eddie Vedder
Chris Cornell
Ronnie James Dio
Bon Scott
Early Whitesnake period and Coverdale would sneak in.
Ozzy

Count myself lucky to have heard them all live apart from Pearl Jam.

Eric Burdon
Robert Plant
Kurt Cobain

Not a surprising list, but I can happily listen to these guys wail anytime.

advertisement

Back