advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

My vehicle is a mess , It's rotten and as it's going to be very wet here it can stay dirty :(

Yeah; we're forecast torrential rain on Tuesday, but thought I'd take advantage today and get them both done.

Not hoovered the Racing Jazz though; doing the fire wood run tomorrow, so will clean it inside once I'm back from that. The sawdust gets everywhere o_O

Did the rear wheel arches on the Cayman R this weekend.

Plastic wheel liners out job and 1:10 diluted degreaser (Bilt Hamber Surfex HD). Came up well for a decade old car...

https://www.bilthamber.com/surfex-hd

IuVDiQ5.jpg

Last edited:
Likewise dogs. Both odours persist. My parents bought a 3 year old Omega that had been a salesman's car, it was cheap and had done 75k miles in 3 years. The driver liked a cigar. They kept it for years, despite cleaning and leaving windows open it never really cleared.
If anything dogs are worse. I used to be matey with a car dealer, he told a tale of a car he'd sold 3 times and it kept coming back with complaints of dog odour. It turns out that the previous owner had used it more or less as a kennel for 2 or 3 spaniels, and he'd had it cleaned endlessly, boot carpet out and scrubbed, all sorts to no avail. I think it went to trade in the end. With that tale in mind I remember going with a pal to look at a car. "It's nice", said my pal, "but it stinks of dogs." OK, not this one then. Get out, lock the door.
I had a company pool car for a few weeks, several years ago and couldn’t get rid of a low level nauseating smell from the boot ( it was a BMW 1 series). I had it valeted at the company’s expense but the odour was still there. By coincidence I mentioned it to a colleague who told me she knew who had the car and that the user took her dog out in it and that the dog regularly vomited in the back!

Can anyone recommend a steam cleaner for the car? Potentially the Karcher SC2 looks promising...we could also use in the house, anyone got any views or recommendations?

yep you wanna throw you car keys into my fruit bowl.
I’ve a terrible confession to make. The garden to the front of our house on Bute is owned by the neighbour. I’ve walked through it to get to the road for fourteen years. Only a month ago I came up the steps and noticed pampas grass. The previous owners who planted it were a retired couple who used to go to Goa on holiday every year...

I use my car so little these days that I've got moss growing on the weatherstrips, and spiders have taken up permanent residence in the door mirror casings. It usually gets washed as part of the annual service but I may have to break with tradition this year and give it a wash before weeds take root.

I use my car so little these days that I've got moss growing on the weatherstrips, and spiders have taken up permanent residence in the door mirror casings. It usually gets washed as part of the annual service but I may have to break with tradition this year and give it a wash before weeds take root.
I've invented a spray which keeps wing mirror spiders at bay. It takes a while to work, but by the time you find out, the Amazon return window has expired.

Having only washed my car a handful of times since March, owing to dramatically reduced mileage and the fact that the dirt on the car only bothers me when I can see it, the wing mirror spiders have been having a party in there. I've had webs from the mirrors to the car, and to the house, not much fun when you get a faceful of them!

Amazingly resistant to the power of a pressure washer too, spider silk is amazing.

It's been a weird volte-face, going from being a noted feature of the cleanest car in the village and always cleaning the car every weekend (with the usual 'you can do mine if you want/you'll rub the paintwork off' etc.) to barely seeing anyone.

It's a good conversation starter, I do miss it...

Having only washed my car a handful of times since March, owing to dramatically reduced mileage and the fact that the dirt on the car only bothers me when I can see it, the wing mirror spiders have been having a party in there.
I like my wing mirror spiders, they live there for months and I smile at them when I see them. I like the house ones too, provided they don't get too enthusiastic. I put the bathroom bin out earlier, had to ensure one stayed on the bog brush holder so he didn't go out with the bin. He's doing OK, been there since the end of summer.

I’m a detailing nutcase and agree with my likeminded friends here. Latest excellent gadget for me is https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/bigboi/blowr-mini.aspx
Oh god, I forgot to mention this: https://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care-exterior/rinsing-water-filters/

Black car + hard water = depressed Andy on a sunny day. Rinsing with water that has 0ppm TDS means I can let it dry naturally if desired.

Of course that means I also have one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004QC8BM2/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back