advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

That's the good thing about Accuphase Class A amps, they don't run that hot.
I gave up my Sugden Masterclass because of the heat issue and plus it didn't control the base in my speakers, unlike the replacement Accuphase.
Mac

I gave up my Sugden Masterclass because ... it didn't control the base in my speakers...

Less than a firm hand on the bottom, then. :). Seriously, I was looking at/for a Masterclass, though I was a bit concerned about one driving my big ESLs. Interesting to note, though this could partly be a synergy thing, I s'pose.

I gave up my Sugden Masterclass because of the heat issue

Again, wasn't aware they ran that hot. Maybe the Sugden is 100% class A and the Accuphase not? Maybe design (heat-sinks).

But AFAICT from reading about them when I built one, class A is class A. Two amps producing the same amount of power should have comparable heat output.

Do you find it makes the room warmer? I certainly don't, though after a while the Lux does get pretty hot on top. I switch the amp off when not in use, or at least when I know I'm not going to use it anytime in the next couple of hours.
This morning when I opened the door the room was warmer than usual, not hot just noticably warmer.

Just a pity it’s in that godawful cheesy gold finish :p

It's actually really difficult to do it justice on a photograph - depending on the light it can be beige, sometimes even having a reddish hue. I would't call it gold, I'd never have something as tacky as that in my living room! Anyway, official Accuphase terminology calls it 'champagne', which for lack of something more accurate hits the spot reasonably well I guess. If you have the chance see it in the flesh, particularly under different lighting conditions.

Less than a firm hand on the bottom, then. :). Seriously, I was looking at/for a Masterclass, though I was a bit concerned about one driving my big ESLs. Interesting to note, though this could partly be a synergy thing, I s'pose.

Again, wasn't aware they ran that hot. Maybe the Sugden is 100% class A and the Accuphase not? Maybe design (heat-sinks).

To be fair, the listening room I had at the time was pretty acoustically challenged... small with low ceiling, lots of glass, but the Accuphase E350 that took over cured the problem totally. Had an E470 since then, now use a C2420 pre and P4200 poweramp with Harbeth 40.2 in a larger room without issue..
To my knowledge, the Accuphase E600 and E650 are pure class A.
The other reason I ditched Class A was the current it draws off the mains, but never say never again.
Mac

Two amps producing the same amount of power should have comparable heat output.

2 amps of the same power and efficiency will have the same heat (energy) output and heat the room the same amount.

However that same amount of energy will be dissipated at a higher temperature on a smaller heat sink than on a larger heat sink giving the impression the one with the smaller heat sink is giving off more heat (when it is not - or at least is only doing so in a very local area).

I don't know the science behind either class A amps, but I can assure you Accuphase amps run cooler than a Sugden
Mac

Came across this on Youtube - Looks interesting.

Nice video, I admit to not having watched the entire thing - did they mention at some point the speakers that they have used in the comparison?

Also, love how the meters come on gradually on the Luxman, Accuphase should have that too!

I don't know the science behind either class A amps, but I can assure you Accuphase amps run cooler than a Sugden
Mac

I also owned a Sudgen A21 way back and it ran hotter (from memory) than the A-47 I have now, which has more than twice the power (the heatsinks of the Accuphase still get warm, but not hot).

Then again, one heatsink of the Accuphase probably weighs more than an entire A21.

To be fair, the listening room I had at the time was pretty acoustically challenged... small with low ceiling, lots of glass, but the Accuphase E350 that took over cured the problem totally.

Out of interest, how did a change in amplification solve a room acoustics problem? What did you have before the E-350?

I gave up my Sugden Masterclass because of the heat issue and plus it didn't control the base in my speakers, unlike the replacement Accuphase.
Mac

How old was your Masterclass? I had a first generation model, bought in 2004, overall the best I auditioned at the time, but not exactly nimble at the bottom end. The current generation are, I believe, much improved in that regard.

Out of interest, how did a change in amplification solve a room acoustics problem? What did you have before the E-350?

Not being a technical sort of guy, I'm afraid I can't explain it, but it just gripped the SHL5+ much better in the lower end and that was without having to adjust tone controls too much.
The hottest Class A amp I've seen is probably the MF AMS35I intigrated, for me it was unbarable, but sounded amazing.
Mac

IMO someone complaining of a Class A amp heating up their room too much during winter months in the UK obviously has their central heating set too high! Ever thought of turning the radiator down?! :p

The only time I curse the heat generated by A-S3000 is the rare week or two in the summer when indoor temperatures are pegged above 25C. For the rest of the year, where my the ambient temp of my music room rarely gets above 19C, I'm glad for every little bit of 'free' heat I can get!

To my knowledge, the Accuphase E600 and E650 are pure class A.
They are not.
The E 600 draws 169 watt idle with 60 watt @ 8 ohm.
The Suden A21SE draws 140 watt idle with 30 watt @ 8 ohm pure class A.
My sold Unison S6MKII draws 270 watt idle with 35 watt @ 8 ohm pure class A.

Mac

Depends which bits you (can) touch!

The Japanese amps have internal heatsinks with vents above and below the actual heatsink to achieve good convection cooling. This is a sensible way to do it, they can run the heatsinks at a higher temperature without causing a burn hazard.
In general an external heatsink should be kept within 30 degrees above ambient i.e. ~55C max. Internal heatsinks can be a lot hotter, maybe up to 60 or 70 degress above ambient. It depends how much heat is conducted to the outer casework. This means they can probably dissipate twice the power with internal heatsinks of the same size.

advertisement

Back