advertisement

Snowdonia seen from Howth, Dublin

Well, maybe... I'm struggling to identify the peaks. To the north, left on the photo, I think the Nantlle valley peaks would hide the continuing ridge of Snowdon towards Cloggy.

Mirage/ temp inversion? In which case, Snowdown would be ...wobbly at best, a distinct thermal-haze gap/lack of strightline fit* above the near horizon; the whole, at best impressionistic; nowhere near as detailed as pictured. also total disparity between exposure values in top and bottom half of pic.

It's a crappy potatoshop as @robs suggested - an amateur-hour HDR /instagram mashup.

*Afterhought ETA: simple trig tells you the nom 'sea level' at base of Sownden from this point is about 2miles below the horizon. Pic is bollox.

Last edited:
What is amazing about the shot is how crystal clear the mountains seem to be.
On very clear days you can see Mont Blanc from Lyon. Same sort of distance, but completely different definition from what we see in that picture. And the top of Mt Blanc is quite a bit higher than Mt Snowdon. Must've been some very special conditions, temperature inversion or what have you.

If that was the case, to see Snowdon from Ireland, or Ireland from North Wales would be an impossibility. Which it isn't, because I've seen Ireland from here many times.

It's also why by the time we see the sun set the sun may actually already be below the horizon, because of scattering and bending of light waves by the denser part of the lower atmosphere. Simple trigonometry would be accurate if Earth didn't have an atmosphere.

Earth curvature 8 inches per mile.
100 miles ish for easy calculation, 800 inches, sixty odd feet.

I'm not saying it isn;t - yes, diffraction is everything. Also, more critically, altitude above teh horizon of observation.

But at 140miles spacing given in the OP post, from a viewpoint close to sea-level, the sea level 140miles away is c. 2 miles below the aparent horizon (i.e. compared with the notional local horizontal) and so will not join-up neatly as in the OP's spurious pic.

Earth curvature 8 inches per mile.
100 miles ish for easy calculation, 800 inches, sixty odd feet.

Erm, not that simple. You are looking at a chord on a sector of a Great circle, not a constant drop. ;)

OK, maybe I should have said - 'simple '3d-trig' ...

Seems to be dividing opinion elsewhere on the net also. The foreshortening could be explained by the 10x zoom setting that was used, but the geometry looks suspect to me.

@martin clark. 140 km, not miles.

I’ve seen, at sunset, the Isle of Man from Blackpool. Ok, it was only a silhouette, but it was very sharp and I was only at about sea level with Snaefell about 65 miles away.
So I’d say that photo is entirely possible.

Edit to add: Snaefell is only about 2000ft.

I’ve seen, at sunset, the Isle of Man from Blackpool. Ok, it was only a silhouette, but it was very sharp and I was only at about sea level with Snaefell about 65 miles away.
So I’d say that photo is entirely possible.

Edit to add: Snaefell is only about 2000ft.
You can see Scotland, Wales, Ireland and England from Snaefell.

advertisement

Back