advertisement

LP12 Nima Problem

Tightening these nuts up is a PITA. If you haven’t got a split or serrated washer a compliant gasket will help it stay tight.

Can’t quite remember, if it’s Rega thread, the Michell finger nut is great to nip up, I would go any tighter there’s a lot of perspex to break.

On an LP12, there is always the risk of pulling the armboard screws out whist using a wrench in situ. Better to remove the armboard, tighten the nut, and replace.

IME, the OPs technique provides more than adequate torque.

Nima does come with a serrated washer, hopefully one is in place such that the collar stays put longer.

They can be awkward. Bending up a suitable spanner to fit can work but this involves a bit of light engineering which is beyond the means of many. Your approach is very cautious but you don't sound like you do this sort of thing very often so better safe than sorry. If you need to so this again you can safely tip the thing by packing the sides with bits of card so the suspension can't move. Then, with an assistant to hold it if necessary, you can tip it on its side and get at the underside easily. The things are simple enough, but the years of mysticism and astronomical costs have persuaded many that the things contain magic fairy dust that once disturbed, however microscopically, will disappear and can never be replaced. It's understandable that people get concerned when they have to look under the covers.

On an LP12, there is always the risk of pulling the armboard screws out whist using a wrench in situ. Better to remove the armboard, tighten the nut, and replace.

IME, the OPs technique provides more than adequate torque.

Nima does come with a serrated washer, hopefully one is in place such that the collar stays put longer.

Good point re: pulling the armboard screws out if applying too much force with a wrench. I hadn't thought of that.

Fingers crossed it should be fine. I couldn't tell when looking at the nut, but I'd have thought the serrated washer is in place as it isn't anywhere to be found in the arm's box, and the arm was supplied and installed by Phil March so I'm sure all is well.

Pleased to say the deck sounds utterly glorious and all is well with the world again :)

Lefty

advertisement

Back