advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

I hate split prisms, I had an all matt screen for my OM2 which I found much better for composing, why would you place your subject in the middle of all your photos?

Pete

I'm seriously thinking of "downsizing" from full-frame to Micro 4/3. Thinking that a Panasonic G9 with 12-60 F2.8 - F4 might be the way to go. Any thoughts / advice appreciated.

I'm seriously thinking of "downsizing" from full-frame to Micro 4/3. Thinking that a Panasonic G9 with 12-60 F2.8 - F4 might be the way to go. Any thoughts / advice appreciated.

I have used M4/3 pretty much from the outset when I bought an Olympus E-P1. Since then I have had a range of models from both Olympus and Panasonic.
If I were to choose now based on my experience and the features, ergonomics and reliability of each, I would opt for an Olympus OM-D with a Panasonic lens without a second thought.

However, If I were downsizing from full frame without the baggage of my various M4/3 lenses, I would opt for neither and go with a Fuji model.

As an F3 user of many years, I always fancied a Df, but just never quite bit. I guess the prices are going to head northwards now.

Snap , Although in these times is it worth buying a DF as you cant drive anywhere to use it , Well I can't and being honest Dagenham is not the most photographed location in the UK unless you like litter , Dog poo , Spit etc :(

I have used M4/3 pretty much from the outset when I bought an Olympus E-P1. Since then I have had a range of models from both Olympus and Panasonic.
If I were to choose now based on my experience and the features, ergonomics and reliability of each, I would opt for an Olympus OM-D with a Panasonic lens without a second thought.
However, If I were downsizing from full frame without the baggage of my various M4/3 lenses, I would opt for neither and go with a Fuji model.

Thanks for that. I just don't get on with Fuji cameras - I found the X-T3 & X-T4 ergonomics just weren't for me. I've got a soft spot for Olympus cameras though - maybe a s/h OM-D E-M1 Mk2 should be an option.

I tried downsizing to micro 4/3 with a couple of Panasonic G DSLR's and one of the Olympus Pen cameras, thinking that'd cover all the bases for me. While they were fine I found them a bit too much of a halfway house so I didn't end up using them that much i.e. I'd either take a bigger DSLR system, or I'd take a point and shoot.

If anything I'd also say I've maybe had better results with a couple of the 1" sensor point and shoots I've been using (initially a Sony RX100 and more recently a Panasonic TZ100) and since getting those I think the only micro 4/3 camera that's been used is the Panasonic G that's been converted for infra-red.

I only really got the TZ100 to use for taking snaps of the dog, however I'm quite pleased with it so far. This is one from this mornings dog walk (and unusually, without him in it!).

171331665.zyjXDBts.090121_02.jpg

I noticed a few books being in the GAS archive. I confess to being something of a book collector. This is about half the total acquired over the years and each purchase resulted in 'not another bloody book' comment from the wife (no the ex-wife!) But I adore sitting down with one of these while something cool and mellow from the 50s plays on the hifi.

IMG_0552 by Greg Turner, on Flickr

'The Playmate Book' was a birthday present from my brother BTW and is a little out of sorts in this company.

Been umming and ahhing over the Df for several years now. One the one hand I just thought it was a rather half-*rsed caricature by Nikon, on the other I thought it was actually quite a clever move: Stick the best (at the time) sensor and processor in a retro-styled body. Build it well, but save cash elsewhere on the AF system etc.

In an attempt to get me down to one system (Nikon on this case, of course) I had thought of a Z6 but couldn't quite persuade myself to make the jump. Mostly because I have a small collection of AF-D lenses which I love.

Anyway, the itch has now been scratched...

Df by Boxertrixter, on Flickr
I think the DF will come to be regarded as a modern classic and become somewhat sought after. It was lambasted as being crap at the time of launch but I suspect its image will be rehabilitated. If they made one now without the rear screen a la Leica MD, I think they would become an instant classic. Nikon will never make such a thing though.

It would be nice if they made a DF2 that was the same size as an FM2. The DF had the styling cues from the legacy film cameras but it looked out of place on such an enormous body.

Andrew,

It would be nice if they made a DF2 that was the same size as an FM2. The DF had the styling cues from the legacy film cameras but it looked out of place on such an enormous body.

The Df was so close to being the perfect camera for me. Nikon's market share has slipped and the pandemic threw camera manufacturers a nasty curveball, so my hope that Nikon will release a DF2 has evaporated. The Df never was a big seller and I can't see Nikon making such a niche product now. Leica can do that, but their buyers seem to be immune to retail price.

I look at it this way: I got a D4's sensor in a box small enough that I'll carry it around, especially if you put a sensible lens on it.

dNmlnxkRtlzIta4I9M5YoQnse5JydmHMU8PwTNwCEefSO_es-FL_GB3pwSELjCvgRF1HoqwTq0j5mgxg2RYny7J-0i6b5SRD_CChZTLcdw

Joe

I'd also be fine with a Zf, another camera Nikon isn't going to make.

EPQBghuXkAE6bT8

I'm not sure why Nikon went with the italics Nikon on the new cameras. The regular font from the F3 and earlier days was much nicer.

Joe

I like the idea of this - Fuji do it straight out of the box (ie without a nod to old models) and the system works a treat. :)

Agree re the italics too, the FM3a looks a bit silly, wrong even, with the newer font imho.

Andrew,

The Df was so close to being the perfect camera for me. Nikon's market share has slipped and the pandemic threw camera manufacturers a nasty curveball, so my hope that Nikon will release a DF2 has evaporated. The Df never was a big seller and I can't see Nikon making such a niche product now. Leica can do that, but their buyers seem to be immune to retail price.

I look at it this way: I got a D4's sensor in a box small enough that I'll carry it around, especially if you put a sensible lens on it.

dNmlnxkRtlzIta4I9M5YoQnse5JydmHMU8PwTNwCEefSO_es-FL_GB3pwSELjCvgRF1HoqwTq0j5mgxg2RYny7J-0i6b5SRD_CChZTLcdw

Joe

I've got that 28-70 3.5-4.5 (picked it up for 30 quid a few years ago). Super little lens, a bit of a dark horse, especially for the money.

Gromit,

The 28-70mm is a bit of a sleeper, but it costs so little secondhand that it’s worth having when you need something the size of a 50mm but with a bit of zoom.

My fave sleeper is the 55mm f/2.8 or f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor. Warning: If you print pictures taken with that lens be sure to wear gloves. They’ll be so sharp you might cut yourself.

Joe

My latest purchase is a Pentax Z10 for the grand sum of £4.99, which seems to be in good condition and even came with the original manual. I've got quite a collection of Pentax kit but there wasn't any reason to buy it (given it was just an entry level model) other than no-one else seemed to want the poor thing and it was cheap! My first proper camera was one from the same range, the Z50p, which my son now uses when he fancies shooting some film. My favourite ever film camera was the Z1p which was the top end of that range and was my main camera for a long time.

Was never 100% satisfied with the 35 Nokton 1.4 - nicely sharp once stopped down to f4 and beyond, but wide open its performance wasn't great at all. Less a case of the 'vintage glow' but more of 'really a bit too soft'.

Just sold it on without losing too much and picked up another Voigtländer which has been causing a little bit of a stir - an Ultron 35-f2. Some are saying it's virtually up there with the 35 Summicron - I'll probably never know - but it's bloody sharp and renders very sweetly. It's tiny as well...

Ultron by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

VW by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Nose by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

And it focuses down to 0.58m which is good too - glad for live view. :)

Nice picture of Scooby, Gromit. The Ultron has nicely brought out the many grey tones in the pooch.

Joe

Ok - not 'gear' as such, but I finally gave in and upgraded my version of RNI Films from 4 to 5. Very pleased with the improvements. I'd say the results are right up there with where VSCO was before they discontinued it. However, RNI comes with a lot more film stocks. As an added bonus, the latest version has Aerochrome!

This is straight out of camera with no adjustments apart the application of the aerochrome look. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this :)

Tenerife by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Fujifilm X100T

advertisement

Back