advertisement

Is there such a thing as fake NAC A5 cable?

bdw

pfm Member
I already have NAC A5 but am currently on the look out for some longer runs as I want to re-arrange my lounge. As I have been looking around I have come across a number or listings for cable without Naim logo or direction arrows. I am maybe being over cautious, as some are from well know places, but are these legit?

Here is an example of what I mean - http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=254356478586

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
No one in their right mind would try to fake that shit. :D

Comes with 'Naim Audio ---->' painted on the none ridged insulation side. Rubs off if you so much as give it a dirty look for having its own mind about how it should be routed.

Embossed along the web between the conductors.

Sorry @wow&flutter, I didn't notice your bit about going to have a look see there.

Last edited:
Hi Craig B, found the lengths of white Naim cable. On thinking back I bought this around 1985 so pretty sure it’s NACA4.

There is a raised edge down one side and on the other has Naim Audio and an arrow printed in black. Forgot how stiff this cable is, I had bother getting it back on a shelf!

Naim NAC A4 and Linn K20 are the same thing, thin copper strands and soft insulation which make it quite flexible. Naim NAC A5 is a different beast altogether, the copper strands are thicker and the insulation is harder making it very stiff and difficult to route. I have both K20 and A5, my black A5 has "naim audio ---->" printed on the edge of the non ribbed conductor every few feet like this example https://www.ukaudiomart.com/details/649427048-naim-nac-a5/images/1841567/
so you might not be able to see the printing in a photo if it is coiled and laid ridged side up, later versions of A5 have it printed on the separation web but it's the same stuff.
I have never heard of anyone "faking" NAC A5.

Hi Craig B, found the lengths of white Naim cable. On thinking back I bought this around 1985 so pretty sure it’s NACA4.

There is a raised edge down one side and on the other has Naim Audio and an arrow printed in black. Forgot how stiff this cable is, I had bother getting it back on a shelf!
Are you sure it wasn't closer to '89? Or maybe '95?

I don't recall ever seeing A4 without the Naim logo followed by 'Naim Audio NAC A4' embossed in the web between. The stiffness plus Naim Audio and the arrow would certainly seem to indicate older A5. Both A4 and A5 have the polarity indicator ridge down one conductor side.

One sure tell with A5 is that it doesn't keep bends along its length unless you set them with a hot air blower. Old A4 can become somewhat knarly with age, easy enough to to straighten out, but never to A5 straight.

There was a Naca4 version from Cable talk (the Company)
Was it light blue or green outer color,?
Exposure version was black and Linn K20 grey

I found that the printing rubs off older NAC5 quite easily. Currently using linn k20, same spec as NAC5 and sounds the same to me. K20 only seems to come in grey so might not be everyone’s preferred colour. Is grey a colour?

It’s best use is as a toilet unblocker.

U bend if you want to but NAC A5's not for bending ! Have had A5 for decades and still use it, as it was superior to Chord Odyssey (with both big ProAcs and esp. big ESLs). I alternated these leads for a few years. One may criticise A5 but it IS a good low cap. (or inductance?) cable at a reasonable price as was (but not now). Whereas this was used with Naim amplification, it has been used with valves for 6 or 7 years. Had NAC A4 before that (eighties) and 39 strand before that (great v.f.m.)

I found that 2.5 mm t & e domestic cable also worked well when I installed a garden speaker extension 25/30 years ago. Even had Briks on the lawn, but rubbish, so only once ! I.B. (sealed box) speakers sounded unbelievably natural in open air (I had Rogers LS6a but tried others).

Regardless of whether its a fake, its being sold by Emporium hi fi....

Then probably made on same factory if not NOS
I guess there's not many factories of those able to make such stuff
But you never know, the Chinese are known for copying everything

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, a number of things I didn't know about

No one in their right mind would try to fake that shit. :D

Comes with 'Naim Audio ---->' painted on the none ridged insulation side. Rubs off if you so much as give it a dirty look for having its own mind about how it should be routed.

I found that the printing rubs off older NAC5 quite easily. Currently using linn k20, same spec as NAC5 and sounds the same to me. K20 only seems to come in grey so might not be everyone’s preferred colour. Is grey a colour?

Why anyone would try and copy that cable is beyond me. It’s best use is as a toilet unblocker.

Thanks, I understand the printing can rub off easily, just not convinced every single piece would be rubbed off from both lengths of cable. Regards faking it, cost new now is £35 per metre, so a lot of margin to be made if someone in China is knocking off a copy for probably pennies per metre

Naim NAC A4 and Linn K20 are the same thing, thin copper strands and soft insulation which make it quite flexible. Naim NAC A5 is a different beast altogether, the copper strands are thicker and the insulation is harder making it very stiff and difficult to route. I have both K20 and A5, my black A5 has "naim audio ---->" printed on the edge of the non ribbed conductor every few feet like this example https://www.ukaudiomart.com/details/649427048-naim-nac-a5/images/1841567/
so you might not be able to see the printing in a photo if it is coiled and laid ridged side up, later versions of A5 have it printed on the separation web but it's the same stuff.
I have never heard of anyone "faking" NAC A5.

I hadn't ever heard of Linn K20 so did some digging. Is identical to NAC A4 and pretty cheap, so maybe worth considering

Regardless of whether its a fake, its being sold by Emporium hi fi....

I thought Emporium was OK (never used them myself though). Are they no bueno?

From doing some reading I have a few things in mind now -

Linn K20 - Cheap, but probably not as good as other options as is same as older NAC A4
Tellurium Q Black II - lots of good feedback, but probably more expensive than I want to consider now
WitchHat N2 - Looks a nice low cost option designed to essentially mimic NAC A5 performance
WitchHat Phantom - Looks interesting, and may of been my choice, but probably more than I am willing to spend right now

Cable is always a rabbit hole of differing opinions, but thanks for helping me, this is a really useful discussion for me

advertisement

Back