advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

We use the dishwasher almost daily, washing machine every couple of days or so, shower every day, and use the WC numerous times daily. As do the other houses. All the residue from those activities goes into the water course, every day.

I think the snow foam is a piffling nothingness in comparison to this. When doing a regular wash, I dispose of maybe one to one and a half buckets of well-diluted body shampoo, and two or three skooshes of wheel cleaner per wheel, again, radically diluted by the time it reaches the drains. Again, nothing in comparison to the rest of the gunk coming out of the houses.
I can't be sure about how waste water is dealt with in the UK, but here in New Zealand, discharge from washing machines, dishwashers, sinks, showers, toilets all go into the waste-water (sewage) system, where the effluent discharge is treated before water is put to sea / rivers.

It is quite different with our storm-water system, which drains run-off from roads, driveways, gutters and suchlike. Storm water is not treated, and flows directly to sea / rivers. My city council has banned car washing on driveways because they attribute excess algal bloom in rivers and estuaries to car shampoos. We are expected to wash cars on lawns, or in dedicated car-washing stations where waste goes into the sewage system.

James is absolutely right. It's a bit better to stand on your lawn while washing the car, then the waste is biologically filtered before reaching water streams. Okey, your local worms will have a cough...

Not sure but maybe Mr G&T does not own the car he uses , could be on the PCP deal,

If you really must use a title to address me, please use the correct one - Dr. on this occasion, I'll forgive your error as you weren't to know.

If you knew anything about PCP, you'd know that the companies fine lessees who return vehicles in dirty and poor condition. One gets a little gauge to show how big wear and tear dents and scratches can be without incurring a fine. Kerbed alloys incur a fine.

So regardless of the means of financing vehicle ownership, PCP offers good incentives to keep a vehicle in tip top conditions, well over and above the standard chest puffed up sense of pride people quote.

In the UK, at least in populated areas, surface water goes to the sewers with foul water. This is to capture really nasty leaks like sump oil and coolant. Soap is the least of their worries. Sewage works have oil traps at the entrance to catch this, otherwise the treatment works falls over. Water companies have open days, it's an interesting if smelly day out.

There are a lot of crap snow foams out there, there a fewer good ones (Autoglym, Autobrite, Pro Kleen) in my experience. All much better than Bilt Hamber and similar

I'm completely the opposite here - I find Bilt Hamber has by far the best cleaning of all the snow foams I've tested, the Auto Finesse citrus one being a close second of the ones I've tried.

It is thinner than the more visually impressive snow foam because that aids cleaning. The breakdown of the bubbles and the movement of the product on the car are an essential part of its function, the comparative testing I've seen supports that.

The Autobrite stuff is terrible in my view, amazing shaving-foam appearance that looks impressive, but poor cleaning - the foam needs to break down and move on the vehicle to help the surfactants and wetting agents loosen and carry the soil away, but the Autobrite snowfoam just sits on the car (or on the road) for ages, with little effect in my experience.

Bilt Hamber isn't as impressive visually, but it's the only one I use now and the anti-corrosive properties of the Bilt Hamber products are worth it in my view, as is it's competitive price.

I know many folk derive pleasure from cleaning their cars, but I'm afraid any such thrill completely escapes me. It's one of those jobs where I can feel my limited time on this Earth rapidly draining away, and the quicker it's over and done with the better. I don't get the snow foam stuff; I could partially understand it if it magically removed all traces of dirt, but it seems you then have to go over the car with a sponge or somesuch to remove some of the muck. I've got a very good Karcher pressure washer for cleaning the patio & the house outside but, again, it doesn't remove all the dirt, and it's really cumbersome. By the time I've dragged it out, connected it all up, and wrestled with the pressure hose I can have the car hosed down, washed from a bucket with soapy water, hosed again and dried with a microfibre cloth (although I often can't be bothered with the last bit). Occasional polish with some Autoglym stuff.

I'm completely the opposite here - I find Bilt Hamber has by far the best cleaning of all the snow foams I've tested, the Auto Finesse citrus one being a close second of the ones I've tried.

It is thinner than the more visually impressive snow foam because that aids cleaning. The breakdown of the bubbles and the movement of the product on the car are an essential part of its function, the comparative testing I've seen supports that.

The Autobrite stuff is terrible in my view, amazing shaving-foam appearance that looks impressive, but poor cleaning - the foam needs to break down and move on the vehicle to help the surfactants and wetting agents loosen and carry the soil away, but the Autobrite snowfoam just sits on the car (or on the road) for ages, with little effect in my experience.

Bilt Hamber isn't as impressive visually, but it's the only one I use now and the anti-corrosive properties of the Bilt Hamber products are worth it in my view, as is it's competitive price.

Yup; get all that.

Autobrite has been my go to; if I've run out, but AG Polar Blast now for me does the best job, it sits and dwells, but does break down well and removes the dirt very well.

I just didn't think the BH stuff did it as well. However, in it's defence, it's a good 12 months since I used the BH stuff and they have bettered it recently from what I've read; maybe time to try it again...

One thing of theirs I do really like is their alloy wheel cleaner; it's superb stuff and does a great job of lifting properly baked on cack (ie my wifes Racing Jazz alloy wheels and my father in laws alloys on his 5 series); that stuff helped to bring them up like new

I know many folk derive pleasure from cleaning their cars, but I'm afraid any such thrill completely escapes me. It's one of those jobs where I can feel my limited time on this Earth rapidly draining away, and the quicker it's over and done with the better. I don't get the snow foam stuff; I could partially understand it if it magically removed all traces of dirt, but it seems you then have to go over the car with a sponge or somesuch to remove some of the muck. I've got a very good Karcher pressure washer for cleaning the patio & the house outside but, again, it doesn't remove all the dirt, and it's really cumbersome. By the time I've dragged it out, connected it all up, and wrestled with the pressure hose I can have the car hosed down, washed from a bucket with soapy water, hosed again and dried with a microfibre cloth (although I often can't be bothered with the last bit). Occasional polish with some Autoglym stuff.

That's fair enough

It's a bit like gardening I think; you either love it or hate it...

I love both gardening & cleaning cars

I absolutely DESPISE anything to do with decorating... That's why professional decorators were invented :D

Last edited:
I clean my car when I need to, like the house. If it looks disgusting or I feel embarrassed about letting people in, it's time. On my bike however it has a much harder time. I clean the transmission parts with a hose to get the worst of the grit off the chain, I clean mud off the cables to stop them getting gummed up, the rest can go and hang. The frame gets hosed when I am doing the working parts, I might as well as it's there. The old commuter that gets used in the salt and dirt at this time of year looks unpleasant, but that's life.

It's taken me 6 hours to detail my Dad's X3 today...

They have a huge row of conifers alongside their driveway, so the gunk / moss / gunge buildup in all the nooks & crannies, door shuts and shut lines (bonnet, tailgate etc) was crazy...

It was hoovered and cleaned inside first, AG Autofresh applied to the carpets and headliner)

It's had a full engine bay detail (AG Engine cleaner / degrease used) , a detailing brush and the Nilfisk on 'soft' setting...

All nooks and crannies cleaned with APC & the detailing brush and then power washed. Amazing the amount of shite that came out...

It's been snowfoamed, rinsed, hand washed with AG Ultimate Shampoo, rinsed and then AG Polar Seal applied. Towel dried, all door shuts cleaned & dried, then all glass treated with RainX.

Tyres treated with Chemical Guys Tyre gel and all black plastics treated the same (Tire & Trim gel it's called and it does a great job TBH).

Knackered haha

Last edited:
It's taken me 6 hours to detail my Dad's X3 today...

They have a huge row of conifers alongside their driveway, so the gunk / moss / gunge buildup in all the nooks & crannies, door shuts and shit lines (bonnet, tailgate etc) was crazy...

It was hoovered and cleaned inside first, AG Autofresh applied to the carpets and headliner)

It's had a full engine bay detail (AG Engine cleaner / degrease used) , a detailing brush and the Nilfisk on 'soft' setting...

All nooks and crannies cleaned with APC & the detailing brush and then power washed. Amazing the amount of shite that came out...

It's been snowfoamed, rinsed, hand washed with AG Ultimate Shampoo, rinsed and then AG Polar Seal applied. Towel dried, all door shuts cleaned & dried, then all glass treated with RainX.

Tyres treated with Chemical Guys Tyre gel and all black plastics treated the same (Tire & Trim gel it's called and it does a great job TBH).

Knackered haha

That looks terrific.

I’ve just bought a second hand run around (my main car is up for sale) but I’ve a question - can you recommend any tips to rid the smell of smoke in the car? I think the seats and carpet properly need a steam clean, I’ll be ditching the existing carpet mats shortly for some new ones too. Other than that I’ve had a pretty good go at cleaning the car out but obviously not to your spec above...

That looks terrific.

I’ve just bought a second hand run around (my main car is up for sale) but I’ve a question - can you recommend any tips to rid the smell of smoke in the car? I think the seats and carpet properly need a steam clean, I’ll be ditching the existing carpet mats shortly for some new ones too. Other than that I’ve had a pretty good go at cleaning the car out but obviously not to your spec above...

you can't. Nearly 2 years into ownership of my car (a convertible) and we still get a whiff. it'll be embedded in the ventilation system. I smoke bombed the ac twice and the dealer did it once. It is way less strong than it was, but still there.

you can't. Nearly 2 years into ownership of my car (a convertible) and we still get a whiff. it'll be embedded in the ventilation system. I smoke bombed the ac twice and the dealer did it once. It is way less strong than it was, but still there.

hmm that’s a shame, good point on the ac, thanks

That looks terrific.

As Gin said; use some in car 'smoke bombs' and use some aircon refresh sprays etc; but unfortunately it's embedded, so you just need to keep at it.

Keep cleaning the car, thoroughly and it will ease off

Giving the interior a thorough cleaning and wet vacc'ing does help; the headliner will be saturated; so give that a thorough hoovering and spraying and repeat that every few days

As daft as it sounds; I've read over on bimmerofurms that someone put their vac onto blow, instead of suck; it blew lots of dust into the headliner and that seemed to 'trap' a lot of the smell.

Hoovered and hoovered; it improved within weeks... So they say

Me; personally, I'll never every buy a car that's been smoked in...

Me; personally, I'll never every buy a car that's been smoked in...
Likewise dogs. Both odours persist. My parents bought a 3 year old Omega that had been a salesman's car, it was cheap and had done 75k miles in 3 years. The driver liked a cigar. They kept it for years, despite cleaning and leaving windows open it never really cleared.
If anything dogs are worse. I used to be matey with a car dealer, he told a tale of a car he'd sold 3 times and it kept coming back with complaints of dog odour. It turns out that the previous owner had used it more or less as a kennel for 2 or 3 spaniels, and he'd had it cleaned endlessly, boot carpet out and scrubbed, all sorts to no avail. I think it went to trade in the end. With that tale in mind I remember going with a pal to look at a car. "It's nice", said my pal, "but it stinks of dogs." OK, not this one then. Get out, lock the door.

advertisement

Back