advertisement

Yes - Wilson remixes box set

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
I splashed out on the Steve Wilson Yes Remix boxed set for Christmas. You get the best Yes canon comprising The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales From Topographic Oceans and Relayer.
Relayer was the one I was looking forward to the most.
The vinyl is deadly silent, nice and heavy and in good strong sleeves with white poly lined inners. Some of the artwork is slightly revamped, presumably to tell them apart from the originals.
The originals of course we (Yes lovers) know. So what happened to this song we once knew so well ?
Its still the same but the remix brings out the odd keyboard flourish, vocal harmony, guitar lick or drum flourish that you don't remember and the overall sound is cleaner without being clinical. I would say the remixes are sympathetic but not radical. A bonus for me as I bought from Amazon was to be able to download mp3 copies to listen to in the car.
Also I have been able to use my Onix OA21, SME 3009/Denon 103, Transcriptors ref combo for the first time ever now I have added a little weight to the headshell. What joy !

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
To my mind out of that lot Relayer is the only one that arguably could do with a revisionistic tweak as it’s what I’d describe as a ‘cocaine mix’ (i.e. a bit bright and everything louder than everything else). I actually played it a while back (I’ve got a totally mint A1/B1 Porky cut first press) and it sounded far better than I remembered as a kid, but still fairly densely packed. I suppose I’m now approaching it as a jazz/fusion fan, and I wasn’t back then. It is certainly the closest they got to that area and one of their more interesting albums IMO.

To my mind out of that lot Relayer is the only one that arguably could do with a revisionistic tweak as it’s what I’d describe as a ‘cocaine mix’ (i.e. a bit bright and everything louder than everything else). I actually played it a while back (I’ve got a totally mint A1/B1 Porky cut first press) and it sounded far better than I remembered as a kid, but still fairly densely packed. I suppose I’m now approaching it as a jazz/fusion fan, and I wasn’t back then. It is certainly the closest they got to that area and one of their more interesting albums IMO.

Absolutely. I think it really sad that Moraz didn't get a shot at another album after Relayer. Going further into the fusion direction could have been really interesting.

I think the vocals could have done with a bit more of a lift in the Wilson mix of Relayer too.

He did a great job with the Yes album. Although having seen Yes many times throughout the years, if I ever here All Good People again it'll be too soon.

With Fragile, the Analogue Productions version is my go to. I haven't heard the MOFI 45rpm version and sadly, at the current prices, I am unlikely to.

Relayer, it's just a great album, what does a remaster do. Apologies but I really don't know all my albums are original.

The Steve Wilson stuff is a remix, not a remaster. Basically a remaster is going back to the original two-track mix-down tape and maybe altering EQ and compression a bit. A remix is going back to the original multi-track tape, i.e. the 16 track, 24 track or whatever and mixing again from scratch. As such Wilson can alter the EQ and FX of any individual instruments, alter their relative level and place in the soundstage. He could add a track of himself playing a kazoo through a fuzz box should he wish, everything is up for grabs with a remix. I’ve not heard much of his work (actually just KC ITCOTCK), but what he seems to do is very conservative, he recreates the original mix but with a little more clarity. Nothing radical. No dub mix!

I've just noticed Steven Wilson's remix of Relayer is available as a 5.1 BluRay version. Wondered if anyone's heard this? Wilson's other multichannel remixes on BluRay usually also include an HD stereo version too.

Does that remaster box include a BLURAY or DVDs with the hi-res stereo versions?

When they came out individually (not sure all titles did since I don't have a complete set) there was a DVD with all sorts of versions including original mixes alongside the remixes. Ripping 24 bit tracks from a DVD/BD is possible :)

I got the vinyl box back in around September or October and I really like it. I must say, I've never actually ventured into TFTO on it yet, but otherwise it's pretty good. And the price was keen (at the time).

Does that remaster box include a BLURAY or DVDs with the hi-res stereo versions?

When they came out individually (not sure all titles did since I don't have a complete set) there was a DVD with all sorts of versions including original mixes alongside the remixes. Ripping 24 bit tracks from a DVD/BD is possible :)
The box mentioned in the OP is vinyl only. When the SW Yes remixes originally came out, they were in a multidisc set with BluRay, DVD etc.

Its a nice box to have... but TBH I find the sound a bit dry and thinned-out by comparison to the originals which seem richer to my ears. But OTOH, Relayer probably does benefit from the clarity that brings.

I suspect a key problem Yes fans have is the remastered CDs are just shockingly bad. Truly awful to the extent it is barely even the same music to my ears. All dynamic range, flow and warmth is gone. If that is what you think Yes is then you will be convinced remixing is the best/only option! The original vinyl sounds very good with a slight caveat for Relayer just as it is so densely layered (it is still fine, and very powerful - it is a loud Porky cut). Most of it is very good sounding vinyl, and better than a lot of ‘70s rock. The original CDs (Atlantic, silver face, black & red outer rim) were very good too with the exception of Fragile which is a bit thin and has some pitch issues (sounds like sticky tape). These can be found with a bit of hunting as the disc and cover design is pretty obviously different to the remasters.

I suspect a key problem Yes fans have is the remastered CDs are just shockingly bad. Truly awful to the extent it is barely even the same music to my ears. All dynamic range, flow and warmth is gone. If that is what you think Yes is then you will be convinced remixing is the best/only option! The original vinyl sounds very good with a slight caveat for Relayer just as it is so densely layered (it is still fine, and very powerful - it is a loud Porky cut). Most of it is very good sounding vinyl, and better than a lot of ‘70s rock. The original CDs (Atlantic, silver face, black & red outer rim) were very good too with the exception of Fragile which is a bit thin and has some pitch issues (sounds like sticky tape). These can be found with a bit of hunting as the disc and cover design is pretty obviously different to the remasters.
Are you talking about the first round of CD re-whatsit's from the first decade of this century?

For the albums which exist in my collection in "original" CD, CD-only remaster (2008-ish?), and the more recent CD+DVD with hi-res content, I only listen to the hi-res versions (which often include an original "vinyl" mix alongside the recent remixes and a lot of stuff I can't be bothered with - I'm not a bonus track fan). That or the vinyl from way back when :)

Are you talking about the first round of CD re-whatsit's from the first decade of this century?

The Rhino ones with bonus tracks that eventually ended up in a budget box set. Just unlistenable as far as I’m concerned. Total revisionism to what the band released in the 1970s; a totally different loud, brash and edgy sound lacking any song dynamic or flow. Actually a brilliant example of how modern brickwall mastering totally removes the overall dynamic ebb and flow of a long piece (e.g. TFTO) by making the quiet bits as loud as the loud bits, so nothing builds, nothing grows. Ugly bright, brash EQ too. I have absolutely no idea how they got signed off unless the remaining members of the band are now clinically deaf.

PS Apparently the very expensive Japanese SACD box is just as bad!

For the albums which exist in my collection in "original" CD, CD-only remaster (2008-ish?), and the more recent CD+DVD with hi-res content, I only listen to the hi-res versions (which often include an original "vinyl" mix alongside the recent remixes and a lot of stuff I can't be bothered with - I'm not a bonus track fan). That or the vinyl from way back when :)
I’ve got a Rhino CTTE from the series Tony mentions. It doesn’t sound too bad to my ears but not great (having said that my schoolboy memories of the original vinyl weren’t great either - loads of hiss...) I’ve also got an Atlantic remaster by Joe Gastwirt that really hurts my ears - it can strip paint off walls (that’s why I bought the Rhino one.)

I think my copy of Fragile is from the original Atlantic series Tony refers to. But I can’t remember how good it sounds as I don’t like the album and never play it!!

Shame the first two aren't included, the first four Yes albums are all I'd really want.

Yeah, I have played the Wilson box several times except for Relayer which I played yesterday. I did not finish side 1 as I was not enjoying it.

My original Atlantic recordings still sound as good but I think the boxed CTTE is better than my old pressing.

Never quite understood the point to, or attraction of, remasters or remixes. I would rather just have the original album, and keep to that. Imagine a remix or remaster of a book or a peice of art.

advertisement

Back