advertisement

Non-OEM F-mount lenses on Z mount?

@Lefty

Thanks Amar - all very good points, as usual. From what I'm reading, the guts of the 780 are pretty much a Z6 plus associated optical viewfinder/mirror etc. With my John Lewis discount I can get a new one for about £1.7k. A used Z6/FTZ/XQD is a couple of hundred less but means my current lens collection would be redundant. I'm falling into the trap of having a sentimental attachment to lumps of plastic, glass and metal. :D

I 100% agree re IBIS - having experienced the system on the Olympus M43 cameras (most notably on the E-M1 Mk2) it's insane what you can get away with. It was possible, with care, to get away with hand-held 1sec exposures. With a wide lens, even longer. The other upside is sharper images at more normal speeds where even the tiniest bits of 'jitter' are eliminated. It truly is a game changer and once experienced it's hard to go back. It's not an issue with the D700 though as its sensor's pixels are the size of bird seed. :D

My AF-D lenses are the 20-2.8, 50-1.8 and 85-1.8. The 50 rarely gets used (and is only worth about 60 quid anyway). The 20's a lovely little lens though, even though it doesn't see much use either.

Upside with the Z is that my 3 Voigtländers come into play via an M to Z mount adapter which is quite exciting. The Nokton 50 is just gorgeous in particular, and whilst not quite Summilux material, it ain't far off.

Re LR I'll have to double-check but you're most likely correct re my version's support for the D780. What's also annoying is that I'm paying a sub to Adobe for software I can no longer update. :(

RE: LR

Surely you can convert the RAWs using the DNGconverter and then import into LR Classic, its not ideal as its a two step process, but there shouldn't be a quality loss.

RE: LR

Surely you can convert the RAWs using the DNGconverter and then import into LR Classic, its not ideal as its a two step process, but there shouldn't be a quality loss.

Ah - I'd forgotten this could be done. Before processing all my Fuji stuff in C1, I used Iridient Converter as a plug-in for LR which whilst being a bit of a pain to start with, soon became fairly easy.

Well this was unexpected - ordered a Df from MPB yesterday so it'll be arriving today. Whilst I've often thought of the Df as a bit of a caricature, from reading up it would appear to be something quite special in the IQ dept. A Marmite product though, which I tend to gravitate towards anyway (I love my Cyrus amp when all's said). :)

Now, I really enjoy using my Leica, and whilst its output is amongst the best I've seen (within my limited skill) it hasn't won me over as a camera to prise from my cold, dead hands. For the price I paid, it won't mean losing much at all if I sell it on, fortunately. This then opens the gates to owning a Z - it keeps things all-Nikon for starters - and gives me the best of both worlds ie a whizz-bang mirrorless camera, and a DSLR with an analogue feel.

Well this was unexpected - ordered a Df from MPB yesterday so it'll be arriving today. Whilst I've often thought of the Df as a bit of a caricature, from reading up it would appear to be something quite special in the IQ dept. A Marmite product though, which I tend to gravitate towards anyway (I love my Cyrus amp when all's said). :)

Now, I really enjoy using my Leica, and whilst its output is amongst the best I've seen (within my limited skill) it hasn't won me over as a camera to prise from my cold, dead hands. For the price I paid, it won't mean losing much at all if I sell it on, fortunately. This then opens the gates to owning a Z - it keeps things all-Nikon for starters - and gives me the best of both worlds ie a whizz-bang mirrorless camera, and a DSLR with an analogue feel.

Interesting! I've always been intrigued by the Df so I await the photographic results with bated breath! Does this mean the D700's days are numbered or do you plan on keeping that?

Re: the Leica, that makes total sense. Given how much they cost, if it isn't absolutely blowing your socks off, then selling and getting a Z6 sounds like a good idea. No rush though as you have a new toy to get acquainted with in the meantime :D

Lefty

Interesting! I've always been intrigued by the Df so I await the photographic results with baited breath! Does this mean the D700's days are numbered or do you plan on keeping that?

Re: the Leica, that makes total sense. Given how much they cost, if it isn't absolutely blowing your socks off, then selling and getting a Z6 sounds like a good idea. No rush though as you have a new toy to get acquainted with in the meantime :D

Lefty

Thanks Amar. :)

The Leica's an odd one - yes it's lovely to use but I don't really feel capable of getting the very best from it, and with the cost of 'proper' Leica glass it's just plain eye-wateringly expensive. Saying that, the Voigtlander lenses are very, very good and they'll adapt very nicely to a Z body. There's an interesting thread on one of the Leica M Facebook groups at the moment where someone's put up a comparison between the Voigtlander Ultron 35 ASPH vs a Summicron 35 ASPH. Ok, FB does b*gger things up with its image hosting but let's say the Ultron is making a very strong case for itself...at 1/5th the price. Would it stop me wanting a 'Cron? Of course not, but one has to be practical (I've set myself up there!). :D

Like my LP12 I know there's better out there (probably for less money) but in the same way it's a lovely thing to own.

The D700's going the square root of nowhere.

@Gromit - apologies for the late reply (yesterday was spent trying to juggle home schooling with working from home!)

I don't have any experience of Leica glass, but I did get to try Mark LJ's Voigtlander 58/1.4 in Nikon F mount when I shot with him in The Lakes in 2019. Needless to say it left an impression on me and I've wanted one ever since.

Glad to hear you're keeping the D700. In fact, given the prices they go for these days, I'd be tempted to pick one up for myself if I wasn't bought into the new Z ecosystem.

Lefty

@Gromit - apologies for the late reply (yesterday was spent trying to juggle home schooling with working from home!)

I don't have any experience of Leica glass, but I did get to try Mark LJ's Voigtlander 58/1.4 in Nikon F mount when I shot with him in The Lakes in 2019. Needless to say it left an impression on me and I've wanted one ever since.

Glad to hear you're keeping the D700. In fact, given the prices they go for these days, I'd be tempted to pick one up for myself if I wasn't bought into the new Z ecosystem.

Lefty

@Lefty - oh no apology needed!!

To sell the D700 on would be quite a wrench - values have bottomed-out now, and it's become something of a classic, still producing gorgeous images. That's providing one remembers its design is knocking on 13 years old now so don't expect the ultimate in tracking performance (I never use it anyway).

I've been very impressed with the Voigtländers, and for the money (c/w Leica glass) they represent great value. Small, beautifully built, and with lovely rendering. What's a nice touch is the Nokton 35 being available in both multi-coated and single coated (MC & SC) versions. The MC - which I have - has a more modern look, the SC more of a 'glow'. The thought of trying one on something like a Z6 is quite exciting.

Just off out over the fields with the hound, so taking the Df with me. :)

@Gromit - I know exactly where you are coming from re: the D700. I have an old Tokai Goldstar Sound (Stratocaster copy) made in Japan from 1984. I've owned it for 15 years now and whilstI have guitars which are objectively 'better' it has a certain charm and most of the time, it's still the guitar I pick up over my others. I should really sell it and free up some space, but it's not worth a lot in monetary terms but it's worth a lot to me.

If my experience with Mark's Voiugtlander 58/1.4 on my Zikon Z7 is anything to by, you'll be in for a treat adapting your Voigtlanders onto the Z6.

Hope you had a good walk - it has been gorgeous out there these last few days!

Lefty

I tried a Sigma 14mm f/1.8 with the FTZ adaptor on a Z6 last summer. Seems to work just fine.

50170316097_51e1e32a08_c.jpg

The two brighter points of light near the horizon are Saturn and Jupiter.

Joe

advertisement

Back