advertisement

Nikon rumours

I've used the D850 in all weathers since the day it was released , tbh it still looks almost in new condition , the only downside for me photographing wildlife is it sounds like an old typewriter so tends to spook a lot of my subjects . I really hoped the Z7 and 7ii would be the answer but unfortunately the AF for birds in flight is definitely not up to the D850 ,also the Z EVF has lag /blackout at higher speeds. I ended up getting the Sony A9ii instead with its stacked sensor and faster readout . For everything else the Z's are lovely cameras , I'm still keeping the D850.
I'd consider the Canon R5 but put off by the 100-500 which is f7.1 at the long end , the 600 f4's are nice but physically too much when out walking miles . I've heard you get some warping with the R5 electronic shutter at fast shutter speeds but can't comment how bad it it. I've a few friends that own the Canon R5 so soon as things are back to normal I'll try it out . If I like it better than the Sony I'll buy one

I've used the D850 in all weathers since the day it was released , tbh it still looks almost in new condition , the only downside for me photographing wildlife is it sounds like an old typewriter so tends to spook a lot of my subjects . I really hoped the Z7 and 7ii would be the answer but unfortunately the AF for birds in flight is definitely not up to the D850 ,also the Z EVF has lag /blackout at higher speeds. I ended up getting the Sony A9ii instead with its stacked sensor and faster readout . For everything else the Z's are lovely cameras , I'm still keeping the D850.
I'd consider the Canon R5 but put off by the 100-500 which is f7.1 at the long end , the 600 f4's are nice but physically too much when out walking miles . I've heard you get some warping with the R5 electronic shutter at fast shutter speeds but can't comment how bad it it. I've a few friends that own the Canon R5 so soon as things are back to normal I'll try it out . If I like it better than the Sony I'll buy one

I hope you take some amazing photos, given your enviable access to all that eye-wateringly dear kit!

I can but dream.

I hope you take some amazing photos, given your enviable access to all that eye-wateringly dear kit!

I can but dream.
Compared to Hifi its a cheap hobby , no I don't take amazing photos but it is something I enjoy doing , I don't spend money on much else now tbh. I am lucky to have friends in the same hobby so get chance to try out lots of various kit, some of them spend around 12k for a lens something I doubt I'd do

I cannot stress enough how good the 24-200 zoom is. The IQ is stunning for a superzoom, for any lens for that matter. For many people, it is the only lens they might need. I got mine from Panamoz in September, in time for a trip up north - but its still not available at UK dealers!

I've replaced the Samyang 14/2.8 with the Nikon 14-30/4. Its lighter and more versatile than the Samyang which introduced me to the possibilities of ultra-wide shots.

I'd love to try the Z 24-200. When COVID is finally behind us, I have plans to attempt my first ever wild camp up on the Glyderau, and the 24-200 would mean I could afford to take only one lens.

In terms of the 14-30/4 I am trying to resist buying one! It's very temptingly priced at the moment! How are you finding it?

I used to own a Nikon Df, and often regret selling it. Looking back at pictures I took with it, I fully agree that there is something special about the sensor. The Fuji X-Pro 2 I bought in its place doesn't compare. The only thing I didn't like about the Df was manual focusing, especially as it was marketed as being ideal for use with vintage lenses.

The Df clearly has a following and a I wouldn't be at all surprised if used prices go up. I would love to try one some day.

Lefty

The Z7's weather sealing got a good test today.

Pleased to say it passed with flying colours :)

50871903632_ae28595b2f_b.jpg

Lefty

You need some of these https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop...38bDvs_z7Ejvi-LNZfRoCqNMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds nice small narrow fingers -still easy to operate controls and touchscreen finger - I have a grey pair (now about 5 years old) and still doing good service.

Missed this - thanks for the tip! Reasonably priced too.

New Nikon 45mp 8k camera to rival sony A1 coming in the spring apparently.

Interesting - where did you hear this? Can't find any mention of it.

Lefty

It's on Nikon Rumours now. It was on digital camera world yesterday and on an Italian Nikon site which gets review samples well before anybody else. Apparently will rival/ beat the Sony alpha A1 and will be cheaper. The A1 is $6500!

It's official - new Nikon Z9 is in development.

Probably a tweaked version of the sensor in the Sony A1, but in a D6 style body. If it undercuts the A1 in price then it sounds like it will be a winner :)

Z9_DA_lg.jpeg

Lefty

It looks awesome. I really like the handling of the pro bodies, but it would be nice if the Z9 could trim some weight compared to the D6. Something around 1100g with batteries would be nice. I am not a pro so won’t be buying this camera any time soon. I’ll keep an eye on the used market in about 10 years:).

It looks awesome. I really like the handling of the pro bodies, but it would be nice if the Z9 could trim some weight compared to the D6. Something around 1100g with batteries would be nice. I am not a pro so won’t be buying this camera any time soon. I’ll keep an eye on the used market in about 10 years:).

Same here. My hope is that the tech trickles down to the Z6 / Z7 level. Looks like it will be a formidable camera.

Nikon just need to back it up with more glass now.

Lefty

That’s Nikon releasing a photo of a camera, with no details. It gets people's hopes up so they might consider delaying their move to Canon.

;)

That’s Nikon releasing a photo of a camera, with no details. It gets people's hopes up so they might consider delaying their move to Canon.

;)

:D

Friendly rivalry between Canon and Nikon continues.

Nikon have got into a habit of making development announcements recently. They did it with the Z6 / Z7 and also the D6. Agreed it's a bit of a marketing move but good things come to those who wait and all that :)

Lefty

It's official - new Nikon Z9 is in development.

Probably a tweaked version of the sensor in the Sony A1, but in a D6 style body. If it undercuts the A1 in price then it sounds like it will be a winner :)

Z9_DA_lg.jpeg

Lefty

Nikon have apparently developed their own super sensor, capable of a thousand fps or some such, with a vast dynamic range. Perhaps this will be its first commercial incarnation.

Nikon have apparently developed their own super sensor, capable of a thousand fps or some such, with a vast dynamic range. Perhaps this will be its first commercial incarnation.

Yes, I saw that. Hopefully the first seeds of Nikon breaking away from Sony and investing in their own, in-house sensor design and manufacture. Sadly, I believe that is only a 1 inch, 17.8 megapixel sensor. (Still exciting, but unlikely to be the one featuring in the full frame Z9). I'd love to see it feature in a high performance, compact camera from Nikon though!

Lefty

advertisement

Back