advertisement

Heretical view (a bit of fun)

Piper At the Gates Of Dawn. Part half-arsed rambly noodling, part would-be childlike nonsense. The whole laughably overrated.

It makes her lack of talent more annoying;)

I wish more of the talentless made one of the great records ( Horses) wrote some insightful and beautiful books without ghost writers ( Just Kids) and influenced a generation of musicians ( just one example PJ Harvey).

There are quite a few people who obviously have talent who, for me, made music that is entirely unenjoyable. Phil Collins is obviously a great drummer, Joe Satriani is clearly a capable guitarist, Paul McCartney ( post 30 yrs old) can write songs. They're not talentless, I just don't rate what they produce regardless of the high opinion others hold them.

I really don't understand why Adele get's such massive appreciation.

Adele actually has a fabulous voice, however she hides is very well by singing in the modern nasal/pitch-quavering way. And the mastering (I've only heard "25" TBH) is totally overdone.

Hmm well I think Michael Kiwanuka is crap... I've nothing good to say about his music.... yes I've heard a fair bit.. boring. obvious, tuneless.

If you think his (1st) album is crap, seek out a copy of "All Back to Michael's" which is a collection of songs that influenced him. Explains a lot!!

A pal of mine with dubous taste in music (IMHO) rates MK's 2nd album.

Van Morrison and Neil Young - sorry, but each time they come on the Radio Paradise mellow mix (which feels like about 27 times a day) it's a quick dive for the remote.

If I am gong to add one of my own it's got to be Bruce Springsteen.
Repetitive, shouty shite!

I once went on a lad's skiing holiday where one friend got his iPod in the dock first. He owned everything Bruce has ever recorded :(:(.
If you think some of the popular stuff is bad, you should hear some of his other stuff :eek:

If I am gong to add one of my own it's got to be Bruce Springsteen.
Repetitive, shouty shite!

I do like the first two albums, they had a great loose ‘70s funk groove somehow, but I’m kind of with you on the rest. I tried watching the recent film on Apple TV and dropped out as it was just so tedious (the Beastie Boys one is great!).

I can 100% understand why people don't get Springsteen even though i'm a fan myself. Same goes for Steely Dan, I love them but the other half really dislikes them. A lot of it has to do with voices.

You are right there, can't bear Steely Dan.

Wifey likes Springsteen. Thankfully she has no idea how to drive the hifi...so she sticks to the Archers on R4 :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

^^^^^
That's for sure. No way I can listen to his flat and out of tune voice. Fotunately, being a good writer, many people who can sing have covered his music and made some very pleasant songs out of his work.

advertisement

Back