advertisement

Replacing a naim nap 110 snaps with a superteddyreg

KiwiMike

Hello there,
Im planning to replace my naim nap 110 snaps which supplies my nac 42 with a superteddyreg , ive noticed there is a 33ohm resistor before the small power supply cap in the 110 , is this resistor reducing the 40v power rail which the smaller capacitor is on?
The STR is factory set st 24v.

Regards
Mike

Pics would help because I don't recall that 33R is a standard item. The NAP110 takes its 24v preamp supply off the main bridge rectifier AC feeds and then routes that to feed the AC voltage to a smaller rectifier mounted directly on top of the 3300uF/40v cap. The positive and negative unregulated DC voltage feeds then go to the LM317 . You should just be able to remove the LM317 board and replace it with the STR board.

Ah, interesting about that resistor, ive been studying alot of images which dont show a resistor, my nap is a nz assembled unit,
Its really a Nap 125 but a 110 is the closest i can find. With the 125 the preamp power was taken off the +ve side of the 10kuf caps then through that resistor to a 3300uf cap then to the LM317 .
I have now replaced that LM317 with the STR but i have left that resistor there, maybe i should remove that resistor now?? The system is sounding really good now.
Mike

I have seen early examples of NAP120 where a 27 or 33R was used to filter the pre-amp supply capacitor from the existing positive rail. Later they just used a separate rectifier from the transformer secondary.

I have seen early examples of NAP120 where a 27 or 33R was used to filter the pre-amp supply capacitor from the existing positive rail. Later they just used a separate rectifier from the transformer secondary.

My NAP120 (serial number 284 according to the sticker inside) has 3 100R in parallel feeding the supply capacitor in the pre-amp supply. Interestingly the two amp boards seem to come from different batches. One has a round trim pot, the other square, the support pads for the small transistors are black on one and white on the other. Some tanatalums are red on one and blue on the other etc.

advertisement

Back