advertisement

Giz a job

If it's not a daft question, what are you looking for?

behaviours that do/don't fit in with the values of our organisation. They would not necessarily be a deal breaker, but might be a point of conversation I one of the panel interviews. Amongst other things we also look at Google scholar ratings, citation indices.

Puzzled about the above, as I'd've thought that

how do you define tertiary? FE or HE, contexts are do different, and the subject matters hugely. There is shortage of people to teach my subject.

With the move to online teaching we have found a huge shortage in the availability of VLs.

When I’ve been selected for interview I’ve checked the social media of the interviewers, it makes for good prep.

OP - whatever you go for come across as passionate and driven. I’ve taken on new roles at 59 and then 62. There will be something out there that suits you, hang in there!

My PGCE was in secondary English. I have friends who've registered with agencies and have had no work despite being made promises that there is lots. I'm ideally not looking to teach, I went to university at 43 to prove a point to myself. Point proved so on to the next chapter, which hopefully isn't entitled universal credit.

When I’ve been selected for interview I’ve checked the social media of the interviewers, it makes for good prep.

Good move, I advise my PhD students to do just that when they are finishing and looking for their first position.

I have friends who've registered with agencies

I will no longer employ an academic or hourly paid lecturer through an agency. They promise the earth and yield little. One last year told a candidate that salary was negotiable and available at the higher grade than was advertised. It became clear in the interview, that I would never be able to meet the expectations set by the agency.

How do you define tertiary? FE or HE; contexts are different, and the subject matters hugely. There is a shortage of people to teach my subject.

With the move to online teaching we have found a huge shortage in the availability of VLs.

Interesting (showing my age, I guess). I've always thought there were 3 main steps in education; primary, secondary and tertiary. Tertiary is anything after secondary school (A levels) and includes universities and colleges (even if those colleges are re-running secondary exams????). Higher education would be uni's and further education would be colleges, but all tertiary, i.m.e.

No idea what VL is; maybe connected to learning/teaching online? What is your teaching subject b.t.w.?

Does lecturing pay better or can it be fitted in with a money-making consulting job for Cyber Security?

Good move, I advise my PhD students to do just that when they are finishing and looking for their first position.
Absolutely. Just be aware that if you are logged in on LinkedIn for example and visit the interviewer profiles it comes up on their feed. I'd suggest getting all the info you need in one hit, because no-one likes a stalker!

Absolutely. Just be aware that if you are logged in on LinkedIn for example and visit the interviewer profiles it comes up on their feed. I'd suggest getting all the info you need in one hit, because no-one likes a stalker!

I have been doing this a long time....

Does lecturing pay better or can it be fitted in with a money-making consulting job for Cyber Security?

Possibly, depends on what your calling is. In our CyberSec group, we have career academics, people who joined us from consulting jobs, and others who joined from places like the home office who were career grade senior scientific officers. We do some consulting for SMEs (mainly pen testing), and quite alot of CPD.

I teach very little these days. I have flitted about academic subjects in CS. My PhD is in CPU design. I am Head of Dept, with 70 academic staff, grouped in 5 academic disciplines and just over 3000 students.

Thanks all for your encouragement, it does make me feel better knowing you’re rooting for me. The issue seems that every Vacancy I’ve have applied for poses a number of questions and scenarios and each question requires an essay to answer. I know how it works using an acronym which escapes me at the mo, it is essentially a box ticking exercise and you can’t escape giving your age as they all ask for DOB on the forms.
Onward and upward

I thought due to ageism asking for DOB was no longer an acceptable thing to do. I certainly haven’t included it in any CV or job applications for the past 10 years. Any self respecting employer could easily work it out anyway!

I’m in exactly the same boat, 45 though so a few years younger than yourself. Applied for numerous roles, had one interview which wasn’t successful, recently rejected for a postie position, which is embarrassing to say the least, as I’ve been middle management for years!

The market is about as bad as I have ever experienced and what’s worse, my industry (live events) is on its knees, for obvious reasons! I was happy to to be a broadband installation engineer for Sky but rather annoyingly it’s all postcode specific with none in the postcode I’m under!

Going to keep plugging away but it’s all very demoralising. Unfortunately, I don’t know of anything in your area but wish you luck with your ongoing search for employment

In our CyberSec group, we have career academics, people who joined us from consulting jobs, and others who joined from places like the home office who were career grade senior scientific officers. We do some consulting for SMEs (mainly pen testing), and quite alot of CPD.

It doesn't take much to earn more than an SSO, even with retention payment. ;)

advertisement

Back