advertisement

Metal cnc machine, wood lathe, 3D printer

Rosewind

Lost in Translation
After my Diy Air-Bearing tonearm project seems to have been completed, I am wondering if it would be worthwhile and fun to explore ...

- Metal and wood CNC cutting
- Wood cutting/shaping on a lathe
and ...
- 3d Printning with plastic, metal, and graphite-like materials..

Does any of you have any recommendations for good, reliable and sturdy hobbyist machines that don't cost a fortune?

Edit:
The idea would be to machine tonearm parts, wands and headshells ... eventually.

After my Diy Air-Bearing tonearm project seems to have been completed, I am wondering if it would be worthwhile and fun to explore ...

- Metal and wood CNC cutting
- Wood cutting/shaping on a lathe
and ...
- 3d Printning with plastic, metal, and graphite-like materials..

Does any of you have any recommendations for good, reliable and sturdy hobbyist machines that don't cost a fortune?

Edit:
The idea would be to machine tonearm parts, wands and headshells ... eventually.

I'm not sure how much you know ... All your 'requirements' indicate small and accurate macines, have a look at Axminster Power Tools on line, or order a catalogue, huge range of euipment for wood and metal different scale and price points, both woodworking and metalwork. Equipment is graded 'hobby' 'trade' and industrial, and priced accordingly, at least it would give you an adea of availability. Axminster are a good reliable company and prices are fair, considering the range and services, I think they would ship to Denmark if you can't find a local company. 3D printing is not something I have tried, but I recieved a sample bottle opener, from a friend in a high tech business, I think in SS; printing his batch of 100 samples cost 150 $US each, it detered my interest somewhat. Unless you have deep pockets or are highly skilled it may be a good approach to try the hobby that appeals most, then move on.

No deep pockets unfortunately.
I will look at what my school has. I know that vwe have 3 3d printers and perhaps I can learn to program and print by using them. It would also be nice to be able to scan an object as a basis. For instance to print a one-off unobtanium plastic part for a vintage tonearm.

As for CNC, I will wait a bit. A solid inexpensive metal CNC mill will cost ftom £800 and up, but whether it is precise enough for making counterweights and replacement tonearm parts is questionable.

A wood lathe for making tonearm wands should be manageable but some automation would be nice.

Last edited:
3d printing is super simple with the software about nowadays, iv had one for a while now I cant stop printing things. Have a search on 'Thingiverse' i bet theres already some bits and bobs you need.

I got a Prusa Mk3s last year and its been one of the best purchases I have ever made, reignited the wonder in me, worn down from years of alcohol abuse.

Honestly I have not stopped printing.

Here is my battle station, 3d printed supports for the screen with built in screen and stream deck:

008eGmZEgy1gmfdi6qnhqj30zk0qogvf.jpg

And here I created sound panels for the sitting room. All the parts used to attach them to the wall 3D printed so I could adjust them in any orientation

008eGmZEgy1gmfdibe1wij30zk0qoq9u.jpg

008eGmZEgy1gmfdi96k7gj30qo0zkgui.jpg

Brill for cable management too:

008eGmZEgy1gmfdlv9cn7j30zk0qowna.jpg

That's exactly the sort of use I see for a 3d printer. All the hard-to find thingees of this world.
I love that curved screen, Gary!

I second a Prusa i3 mk3. If you go the new route, is definitely recommend the kit. It's a fun experience building it, and knowing it inside and out will help later with maintenance or upgrades.

For a 3D scanner, I know some people are having great success using just a phone securely mounted to something, pointed at a turntable to rotate the object (e.g. a few degrees between each shot). Then some post processing magic analyzes all the photos and generates a 3D model that you can import and clean up manually. I'd imagine you could actually use a turntable to rotate the part for scanning, of course rotated manually, not at 33rpm. :)

For my F5 and BA2018 builds (https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...dio-pass-firstwatt.240452/page-3#post-4189830) the 3D printer helped me make so many parts. I made a bracket to hold the speaker protection board above the transformer, and used the IEC mounting screws to attach to the chassis. I made lots of custom grommets to protect wires that needed to run through (sharp) holes in the base plate. I made cable management parts. When I sold the amp and preamp I made covers to enclose anything with mains voltage (IEC inlets, soft start, terminal blocks, fuse blocks, etc.). Before I had a 3D printer and learned CAD my ability to make things was really constrained. Living in an apartment in the middle of a big city I don't have room for big tools (band saws, drill presses, angle grinders, etc.) and it's really incredible to just be able to design and print a one off part instead of fabricating and building it.

advertisement

Back