advertisement

Will we get charged tax / Vat from EU to UK now?

I knew EXACTLY what I voted for, along with everyone who voted leave (i.e. the majority), which was getting out of the corrupt, undemocratic, wasteful, parasitic, bankrupt EU. A organisation which produces nothing, yet spends billions on nothing much, is an exact replica of the old USSR (and remember how that ended), has bankrupted several member states, and dictates to its members what they can and can't do. How any sane person could possibly think it is in any way a good, or even remotely sensible idea, is truly baffling. It has been said, by more eminent people than me, that if the EU was a business, it would have been liquidated years ago.

No, we knew there would be change, which in the medium and long term, can only benefit the UK. In the short term, there's just a bit of adjustment to make.

Can't say I agree, or disagree, but this is a perfectly respectable point of view. From inside the EU, I see the failure to make any substantial progress towards unification after the introduction of the Euro (no common foreign policy, no single political system, no common fiscal system, no military collaboration). And, of course, a massive and costly bureaucratic machine that is, in many cases, provides a sinecure for political parasites from the member countries. On the other hand, who can say if Europe would have developed better or worse over the past 30 years if the EU had not existed?

One thing I've noticed, is that the mostly Brits here on pfm tend to look at the thing interms of "UK and EU", while continental Europeans, be they pro or anti EU, tend to take a birds-eye view of Europe as a whole. I think this is a natural, but important difference with wide ranging historical roots.

Can't say I agree, or disagree, but this is a perfectly respectable point of view. From inside the EU, I see the failure to make any substantial progress towards unification after the introduction of the Euro (no common foreign policy, no single political system, no common fiscal system, no military collaboration). And, of course, a massive and costly bureaucratic machine that is, in many cases, provides a sinecure for political parasites from the member countries. On the other hand, who can say if Europe would have developed better or worse over the past 30 years if the EU had not existed?

a respectable point of view? Other than the numerous patent falsehoods, I take it?

Discussion on R4 now about mainland UK exporting to N Ireland, talking to a shipping agent and a small business. They are talking considerable extra costs, the shipper having been working with P&O last year running dry-run exercises. Paperwork!!! The lady with the small business says the paperwork is the same to export to NI as The Philipines.

I knew EXACTLY what I voted for, along with everyone who voted leave (i.e. the majority), which was getting out of the corrupt, undemocratic, wasteful, parasitic, bankrupt EU. A organisation which produces nothing, yet spends billions on nothing much, is an exact replica of the old USSR (and remember how that ended), has bankrupted several member states, and dictates to its members what they can and can't do. How any sane person could possibly think it is in any way a good, or even remotely sensible idea, is truly baffling. It has been said, by more eminent people than me, that if the EU was a business, it would have been liquidated years ago.

No, we knew there would be change, which in the medium and long term, can only benefit the UK. In the short term, there's just a bit of adjustment to make.

So the brainwashing worked then? It'll wear off.

See you again in 6 weeks?

One thing I've noticed, is that the mostly Brits here on pfm tend to look at the thing interms of "UK and EU", while continental Europeans, be they pro or anti EU, tend to take a birds-eye view of Europe as a whole. I think this is a natural, but important difference with wide ranging historical roots.
Historically, IIRC, only two European countries who "took part" in the last war were not defeated, either at the beginning or the end of the war. And only one of those didn't have armies invading and killing their people. So the view from each country will be different.

Historically, IIRC, only two European countries who "took part" in the last war were not defeated, either at the beginning or the end of the war. And only one of those didn't have armies invading and killing their people. So the view from each country will be different.

As this thread has foundered vis a vis the opening post, I'm interested in what you mean by 'taking part'. If actively 'involved', that leaves the Iberian peninsular, Switzerland and Sweden (4 countries). Likewise, these were not invaded either, along with Britain and Eire.

while continental Europeans, be they pro or anti EU, tend to take a birds-eye view of Europe as a whole. I think this is a natural, but important difference with wide ranging historical roots.

Quite surprised, Paul, that the first loyalty is to Europe and second to their native country ? I do find that hard to credit. If so, the E.U. have missed a trick in not achieving a united Europe to politically follow the Euro.

If you get charged VAT on importing goods, you don't have to pay it in the country of origin; you don't pay it twice...

highend-broker.com lists two prices for goods, so you'd pay the vat deducted amount for that country of origin and then a very similar amount on import, plus import duty which is, what, 5-6% tops?

more difficult to do that through eBay though!

I obviously misunderstood, I presumed the trade deal - tariff free - would mean the only (physical) costs would be VAT?

What is the extra amount being charged?

.sjb

As this thread has foundered vis a vis the opening post, I'm interested in what you mean by 'taking part'. If actively 'involved', that leaves the Iberian peninsular, Switzerland and Sweden (4 countries). Likewise, these were not invaded either, along with Britain and Eire.

Quite surprised, Paul, that the first loyalty is to Europe and second to their native country ? I do find that hard to credit. If so, the E.U. have missed a trick in not achieving a united Europe to politically follow the Euro.

No, maybe I was not writing clearly. It is not that continentals have a first loyalty to Europe rather than their own countries. But they see the situation as regarding the continent as a whole. i.e "What is the future for Europe?" rather than "What is the future of the UK with regards to Europe."

On the contrary, I think most continentals identify with their own nation, even if some may say "I consider myself a European," which means very little. "Europe" is felt as a semi-abstract concept, a process, in which they are engaged, in common with other EU countries, but by no means a solid, permanent, reality. I don't know about "loyalty" or "patriotism," I suppose it depends on the individual.

I obviously misunderstood, I presumed the trade deal - tariff free - would mean the only (physical) costs would be VAT?

What is the extra amount being charged?

Personal imports over £390 are subject to duty...

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ties-to-apply-to-eu-goods-worth-more-than-390

Also the implication is that if you enter the UK with a newish phone or tablet etc. you may need to prove you bought it in the UK and aren’t trying to smuggle an EU purchase back into the UK. All part of the Brexit bonus.

If you get charged VAT on importing goods, you don't have to pay it in the country of origin; you don't pay it twice...

highend-broker.com lists two prices for goods, so you'd pay the vat deducted amount for that country of origin and then a very similar amount on import, plus import duty which is, what, 5-6% tops?

more difficult to do that through eBay though!

when buying second hand from private citizens (like a lot of cross border niche hifi buying), you always pay the VAT twice, though didnt used to, obviosuly, inside the single market. Even when buying new from small producers who aren’t set up to export, you often do.

Personal imports over £390 are subject to duty...

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ties-to-apply-to-eu-goods-worth-more-than-390

Also the implication is that if you enter the UK with a newish phone or tablet etc. you may need to prove you bought it in the UK and aren’t trying to smuggle an EU purchase back into the UK. All part of the Brexit bonus.

But is paying “customs” not a tariff?
Or is it just businesses that can import/export tariff free?

.sjb

The implication in the article is that it’s just individuals since businesses aren’t mentioned.

Also alcohol and tobacco is limited to personal use only, so a maximum of 18 litres of wine, 200 cigarettes etc.

.sjb

Oh Lord, we do have a naive one here with what amounts to tax nomenclature :)

No matter, you'll get hammered in accordance with the law :)

when buying second hand from private citizens (like a lot of cross border niche hifi buying), you always pay the VAT twice, though didnt used to, obviosuly, inside the single market. Even when buying new from small producers who aren’t set up to export, you often do.

how's that then? as private citizens aren't registered to charge vat...

But agreed it's there 'within' the second hand price, so to speak.

how's that then? as private citizens aren't registered to charge vat...

But agreed it's there 'within' the second hand price, so to speak.

So you've answered your own question. The first VAT is paid by whichever private citizen buys the item new and forms part of it's second hand price. But is not levied again if I buy it from a guy in Bury. Nor, last week, if I buy from a guy in Bordeaux. Now, though, if I buy a piece of second hand hifi equipment for £1000 from a seller in Bordeaux, I will have to pay 20% VAT on top to the UK govt, plus duties. Add shipping and that's rarely going to be economic.

Not only that, but VAT will now be levied by all those (eg developing) countries with whom the EU had trade agreements waiving VAT and duties (I'm no expert, but in the case of developign countries, the Everything But Arms initiative), but the UK doesn't. So for me that's records from the Caribbean, Africa and Latin America.

advertisement

Back