advertisement

Maximum of Integrated amp for Focal Aria 906

Interesting, as the amp at the time was a Rega Ellicit-R. Getting the right balance is so important. Very smooth speakers, the 906.

I wouldn’t say the focals i had were bright as such.
They were smooth but sort of afraid to let go. The B&W 805 S were very similar a bit too controlled.
Both definately over emphasised cymbals etc so front seat of the concert sound.
They both lacked gravitas compared to my Dynaudio’s.
Just to add that with this type of presentation i found they tended to fall apart rather quickly as the volume increased.
Still some peoples bright is another persons open/detailed.

Tablettes have tiny drivers though? Or is it good on the rack? When I think sealed I tend to think Spendor A1 or are they worse than the tablettes (and the arias)? Budget set aside, what is the best speaker for the rack like mine (used or new)? My room is just short of 6x4 (more like 6x3.5) but the rack is along the long wall is the listning area is more like 4x3.5

I can assure the bass on the Tablettes (Anniversary edition though, not sealed) smokes the bass of the Focal 906, both punchier and deeper. Don’t ask me how, but it is very obvious, in that size room, they can shake the windows if you wante to. On a rack, maybe the current models will be fine, if close to a wall.

The top ex selling focal dealer in UK is a dealer for belles, they go very well , in particular the belles aria.

I agree, I have a Belles Aria and worked extremely well with my previous Focal Electra 1028 Be speakers, and would likely work even better with the Focal Aria 906.

Ok then what amp do you recommend for the Tablettes (let's say signature if I get them second-hand)? It has a weird 10-ohm rating and I can't understand if you need max 50w into it or 70 (roughly *10/8 plus non-perfect linearity)? I think I won't go to tubes territory there as I live in a place where to get quality tubes is a problem, and I can get them on my annual Germany vacation only, and what if they smoke before then? What amps are better for the tablette? I'm ready to try anything, even from smaller firms ( i heard there is a thing called Dayens and they have this Menuetto amp, it has no phono stage integrated though...

I wonder if you are backwards, with respect. The amp is a smaller part of the sound than the speakers and how they interact with your room. IF you get that right, any good/reasonable amp will work well and you have a very fine budget anyway.

Folks, maybe I should try tubes? There is a beautiful greek tube amp, Tsakiridis Theseus and it has a phono input!!! And it's 1950 euro new!

Tablettes have tiny drivers though? Or is it good on the rack? When I think sealed I tend to think Spendor A1 or are they worse than the tablettes (and the arias)? Budget set aside, what is the best speaker for the rack like mine (used or new)? My room is just short of 6x4 (more like 6x3.5) but the rack is along the long wall is the listning area is more like 4x3.5

If you are talking Tablette 10 then bass is out of all proportion to the size of the speaker, and it is tight and tuneful.... that said they are revealing....

Has nobody mentioned the N*** word with the 906?
I just did. And think I might get away with it?

I think a lot of people on this thread are confusing the sound of the FA 906 with other Focal designs which have a harsh treble. The Aria range is dynamic natural and warm sounding with a well defined but not excessive treble. I think they are warmer than Harbeths with the right amp, but more dynamic.

I have the smaller Focal Aria 905 (now discontinued).It is a fantastic speaker, and will sound great with any amp. The 905 has a maximum recommended rating of 100wpc, but the 906 goes up to 120 wpc.

I have achieved excellent results with the Roksan Caspian M2 and the Marantz PM KI Ruby. I don't think its worth looking at anything much more expensive than these - but also look at Naim, Primare (I bet the i15 or i25 would sound great) and Hegel. I also tried it with the Leema Tucana ii which is a more powerful 150wpc amp, but this sounded too much for the FA 905 and a bit strained and overblown here and there.

As always, listen before you buy if you can.

Sounds like, from opinions here, that the 906 would not be my cup of tea.
There's enough warmth in my system before I get to the speakers, I feel.
Any suggestions for a drier more focused sounding speaker?
(Currently using PMC TB1, nicely focused but lacking a little presence esp at low levels. Or Wharfedale 505.2, good at low levels but get a bit scatty when loud)

ATC are bone dry, very clear, might be your cup of tea, but not much low end until you get to the bigger models. Maybe PMC FB1i if you like PMC but want a bit more oomph?

... Maybe PMC FB1i if you like PMC but want a bit more oomph?
I might add that my TB1s are not lacking in bass, their transmission line design is quite effective in that department. It's just that their balance is best achieved at higher volume levels. Not one for late night listening.

I might add that my TB1s are not lacking in bass, their transmission line design is quite effective in that department. It's just that their balance is best achieved at higher volume levels. Not one for late night listening.

Dare I say an amp with loudness control? Pretty sure that is why they exist in the first place. Probably only Japanese amp still have that. Otherwise, a more lively speaker, ala Proac.

advertisement

Back