advertisement

2020 New Album Recommendations

Surprised this wasn’t already a thread.

I’m hoping to get some more listening time this year myself, after moving and a whole load of associated distractions last year, so would really like to know what others are discovering through this year.

Nothing has really jumped out at me yet (which explains the thought for the thread), but this is something I’ve listened to a couple of times and from a genre on the periphery of my normal fare... re-imagined classical folk songs...

Bonny Light Horesman - Bonny Light Horsemen

(Perhaps try Magpie’s Nest as a taster)

49477108453_99e65c99d8_n.jpg
thanks for this recommendation, gonna get this !

Matt Berninger's album is playing it a lot here, it's a slow burner for sure but I'm liking it. The 2x marble blue vinyl version I pre ordered at RRP is already at silly money, which is a bonus.

Yup, first listen was a bit of a disappointment, but now having heard it four or five times I agree it’s a real grower. CD only here though.

Yup, first listen was a bit of a disappointment, but now having heard it four or five times I agree it’s a real grower. CD only here though.

Do you get the extra covers with the CD? I read an interview from him and the album was originally going to be all covers, then he changed his mind. Some of the covers are on the extra LP and they're pretty good.

Do you get the extra covers with the CD? I read an interview from him and the album was originally going to be all covers, then he changed his mind. Some of the covers are on the extra LP and they're pretty good.

Annoyingly, no! What are they? I wonder if available digitally??

Annoyingly, no! What are they? I wonder if available digitally??

C1 European Son
C2 Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye
C3 In Spite Of Me
D1 Big Bird
D2 Let It Be
D3 The End

All done with the same band on the album.

Edit: Looking at Discogs they only appear to be on the Ltd 2x LP versions.

C1 European Son
C2 Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye
C3 In Spite Of Me
D1 Big Bird
D2 Let It Be
D3 The End

All done with the same band on the album.

Edit: Looking at Discogs they only appear to be on the Ltd 2x LP versions.

Damn the fact I no longer have a TT!

Andy Bell - The View From Halfway Down (Andy Bell from Ride's first solo project under his own name)
Mary Lattimore - Silver Ladders (gorgeous chilled harp led music)
Paradise Cinema - Paradise Cinema (Jack Wylie from Portico Quartet, alog with two Senegalese percussionists - one for the Jon Hassell fans)
Craven Faults - Live Works (extended live reworks from his last album - modular synths a gogo)
GLOK - Dissident Remixed (Andy Bell's krauty electronica project - the original album, Dissident, is ecxellent too, but came out last year)
The Necks - Three (They still sound like no one else)
Erland Cooper - Hether Blether (the final part of his Orkney triptych)
Juliana Barwick - Healing Is A Miracle (lush, almost new agey electroinca)
Teleplasmiste - To Kiss Earth Goodbye (one for fans of The Utopia Strong - krauty, modular gubbins)

I've been buying more EPs than albums this year, so not as many suggestions from me.
Excellent list, Andy Bell and Juliana Barwick were on the end of year compilation one of my friends sent me, as he has for the last 40 years, and are definitely going to be investigated further.
Caberet Voltaire’s Shadow of Fear is also worth a blast.

Excellent list, Andy Bell and Juliana Barwick were on the end of year compilation one of my friends sent me, as he has for the last 40 years, and are definitely going to be investigated further.
Caberet Voltaire’s Shadow of Fear is also worth a blast.

Got the Cabs album, but haven't given it many listens yet - this year's been dystopian enough already.
If you like that, then I'd suggest you try the Wrangler (Stephen Mallinder, Benge, Phil Winter) album, A Situation.
I'd also recommend you check out Creep Show, which is the above, plus John Grant.

You may not have seen it, but there's an excellent [url-https://andybell.bandcamp.com/track/cherry-cola-pye-corner-audio-remix]Pye Corner Audio remix[/url] of Cherry Cola off the Andy Bell album.

Got the Cabs album, but haven't given it many listens yet - this year's been dystopian enough already.
If you like that, then I'd suggest you try the Wrangler (Stephen Mallinder, Benge, Phil Winter) album, A Situation.
I'd also recommend you check out Creep Show, which is the above, plus John Grant.

You may not have seen it, but there's an excellent [url-https://andybell.bandcamp.com/track/cherry-cola-pye-corner-audio-remix]Pye Corner Audio remix[/url] of Cherry Cola off the Andy Bell album.

The Cabs is in the classic style, dark with vocal samples all over the place.

I have seen the remix, very good..

Came across this band around 11 o'clock last night via Echo and the Bunnymen's Instagram account.

Hypoluxo with their S/T album.

GLOK - Dissident Remixed (Andy Bell's krauty electronica project - the original album, Dissident, is ecxellent too, but came out last year)

Thanks for this, excellent stuff. Also enjoyed the "Dissident" album itself - the first track is very System 7, which is definitely a good thing.

advertisement

Back