advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gravity wasn’t garbage. It was technically brilliant and that was its main thrust. It didn’t pretend to be anything more. My very favourite Sci fi was Silent Running, a dated, perhaps, but deeply human story. Movingly shot and played. Sci fi can often be cold and dispassionate. This wasn’t and stands out because of it.

You are rong. It is utter drivel. and Ad Astra is infinitely worse. :D

Ad Astra - Brad Pitt is on the most important mission in history, so they send him to the remote moon base on a rickety 1980’s moon rover, having already been told this is bandit country. Why didn’t they just fly him across?

Ad Astra - Brad Pitt is on the most important mission in history, so they send him to the remote moon base on a rickety 1980’s moon rover, having already been told this is bandit country. Why didn’t they just fly him across?

It also has moon pirates and space monkeys, which seems awesome.... until you actually watch it.

No. No :)

Respectfully, disagree.

My fave SciFi was "Moon". Beautifully shot; haunting soundtrack; great acting; and explored the notion of self, of loss, of isolation (bit like PFM reallly ;) )

(Oh and Moon was done on 5 million bucks, which is nothing in terms of budget)
I liked Moon too. That Bowie was a clever man!

You’re not a script writer are you?

Lol, no. If I was, I'd hope I did a better job. Ad Astra is embarrassing.

I don't make wine either, but I'm perfectly capable of distinguishing good from bad. Also with movies.

Seriously, if you think Ad Astra is good (or even acceptable), then more power to you - having luch low standards must make enjoying these things much easier. :D

Like most things on Netflix these days Midnight Sky felt like a Netflix movie I'd already watched. It was ok but predictable and an easy watch . Netflix gets more like a late visit to the video shop where all the good vhs's are already out, by the day.

We also enjoyed the Bee Gees biopic on Sky Arts. I forgot just how prolific they were. Must listen Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack again soon.

Lol, no. I don't make wine either, but I'm perfectly capable of distinguishing good from bad. Also with movies.

Seriously, if you think Ad Astra is good (or even acceptable), then more power to you - having luch low standards must make enjoying these things much easier. :D
Didn’t comment on Ad Astra, strangely.Nor have I seen it. Films aren’t all necessarily black and white, good or bad.Most have some redeeming features.None are perfect. And in the end it’s all subjective.

Didn’t comment on Ad Astra, strangely.Nor have I seen it. Films aren’t all necessarily black and white, good or bad.Most have some redeeming features.None are perfect. And in the end it’s all subjective.

True. I did say Gravity was nicely shot, it’s certainly beautiful. But for me that doesn’t make up for its other (serious to me) deficiencies.

For me Alien remains up there for older stuff, along with the 1982 remake of the Thing (Obviously not as good as the original blah blah)

New stuff, Interstellar smacked it out the park for me I can watch that over and over. I also very much like Arrival

I also like The Abyss, Avatar, Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2019, Children of Men, Communion, man there are loads of good ones.

Oh and Starman, even Contact I like, even with the glaring plot hole.

Blade runner
Alien
T2
Aliens
The Thing remake
These are all great and in my list, especially The Thing which is stunning I think. I also love Children of Men, Starman, The Man Who Fell To Earth, Dark Star and Silent Running. Capricorn One was a great concept as well.

Great list.Interstellar had that breathtaking spinning station sequence. Starman for me as well. Very moving film with great music. I loved the beginning of the Abyss but it went a bit weird after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back