advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw the 2014 film Whiplash last night. It’s about a young aspiring Jazz drummer and his tyrannical band conductor. It’s incredibly intense. The conductor is like the drill sgt in Full Metal Jacket. The drumming is great to see and hear too. Very much recommended.

I finally saw this last night, urged by my daughter for whom it was the third time since first seeing it a week ago. Absolutely brilliant, and I agree with all the sentiments above. The tension in the final scene was almost unbearable.

If anyone, especially jazz lovers, hasn't seen this, I recommend you search it out. I think it was on amazon.

I finally saw this last night, urged by my daughter for whom it was the third time since first seeing it a week ago. Absolutely brilliant, and I agree with all the sentiments above. The tension in the final scene was almost unbearable.

If anyone, especially jazz lovers, hasn't seen this, I recommend you search it out. I think it was on amazon.

Yes, and I’d recommend playing the sound through your main speakers too!

Just watched this little gem.

'CLARA' 2019 on Amazon Prime.

Will not spoil the film with a mini review.

Enjoying the suggestions on this thread.

Any mention of Hap and Leonard yet?
I recently caught up with this, 3 seasons of 6 episodes each.
A little underbelly of southern USA and not afraid to get on with some main issues.

For me it evoked a far more serious, although it does have humour, Dukes of Hazzrd twenty years on but with damaged and disillusioned protagonists with attitude along. ( I may be doing it a disservice there).

Anyway, I thouroughly enjoyed it.

There's a film on Prime called "Coherence".

IMO, it's interesting .. with a few flaws.

What I found interesting was the production. The actors all knew their own lines and character, but didn't know the lines of the others.
The idea is that when someone else says something unexpected, the reaction is supposed to be real.

A slight downside is the temptation to talk over each other, which happens in real conversation.

Gantz 0 on Netflix Japanese CGI about a group of people forced to play a game killing monsters in Tokyo and Osaka. Sounds daft but is visually fantastic with a good plot. Well worth a watch.

Lovely film. The film dances to the soundtrack. Shame about La La Land. I thought it was a real disappointment after Whiplash.

Not personally impressed with Midnight Sky , very slow and dull and pretty pointless story . It goes to show how much peoples taste varies !

Just watched 'Soul' with my wife and younger son on Disney+. Really enjoyed it tbh, but then it's a Pixar and it involved music and that's a pretty compelling combination.

On physical media, I bought Das Boot on BR for my elder son, who is 14 and tank/sub/WWII daft right now. And, I am hoping I might get to the end of Spiral S7 over the next few days. That's on iPlayer. But if anyone wants a real head-puzzler, I can heartily recommend S1 and S2 of Dark on Netflix, which is German time-travel nonsense, but very enjoyable.

Home for Christmas (Hjem til Jul) on Netflix
2 seasons of 6 half hour episodes
Watched the first one last year, the second this.
Light with a nice touch and funny as

Watch David Byrne's American Utopia on Amazon this afternoon. It's not on Prime at the moment so you will have to pay extra for it (disgusting I know).

I'd heard great things and the clips I'd seen looked promising. I wasn’t disappointed. Absolutely stunning from start to finish. Something a bit special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back