advertisement

Early 1980s system suggestions

Thinking about it the 12S/120 is mid-70s isn’t it? Given that’s the starting point shouldn’t it define the timeline? It was certainly long gone from the Naim range by 1980.
Good point, well made. My 1970s system was so lo-fi that I don't know where to start (AP76, Shure cart, Cambridge AC30, Kef something or other!)

That's a late 70s system. I'd suggest LP12 (big red button, no fancy bearing)/Grace 707/F9E or LP12/SME3009/Shure V15. Once properly sorted, likely to sound good with both the AR18s and Kans.

I agree with the comments about the Dual. In the early 80's, I had a Rega3, and my girlfriend! at the time,had the Dual. Both fed into Nad 3020s.

She had the same AR speakers , whilst I had Heybrook HB1s. I thought her system sounded dull and lifeless and was sure the difference was due to the Heybrooks being better. I got a shock when we swopped them round, it was the deck that was making most of the difference. I was hooked on the "garbage in...garbage out" mantra after that !

Yea.... but... my lust for these players isn't about the sound... its just the fact that early twenties me couldn't afford one
That’d have been the Linn CD12 for me, then a bank manager T-Boned me at high speed when she failed to stop at a closed junction whilst in her phone and left me with some very real injuries... that paid for a CD12!

Joking aside, I was lucky to survive that, if I’d have been in my Pug 106 and not my BMW 3 series, I probably wouldn’t have... think I deserved the CD12.

80s system? Well lovely as it is (really lovely), the NAC12/NAP120 ain’t 80s, the Nait2 or 42/110 are 80s and are great too... no matter. I’d be looking at something like Royd Eden speakers personally, and the Rega TT is a solid suggestion. For CD, an early Sony ES model would be a solid bet.

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions. I've now got a 1984 Rega Planar 3 en route, RB 300 with grey K9 attached, which I may need to replace. That'll do for now, as I've had the cost of servicing the 12s/120 in the last few months, as well as servicing the Linto for my main system.

Lovely, they’re timelessly cool and highly dependable decks, the K9 was a real favourite on the Planar 3 “back in the day”... I’m pretty sure the new VM95 stylus will fit the K9 body if the K9 stylus is past it... £25 and very competent!

Any of that range fits. I’d personally go higher up to the micro-line. The K9 had a pretty decent tip on it, certainly a lot better than a 95E.
Agreed, but in a pinch, the 95e is pretty respectable... the 95ML is very good indeed. I always really liked the K9, it was my first really decent cartridge l!

In the early 80s, I had an AR Turntable, Pioneer SA-9800 and AR94. It suited my university student lifestyle perfectly. Of the three pieces of kit, I wish I kept the Pioneer.

The rose-tint of the early 80s have not faded one bit for me, because I've been blissfully back in that era hifi-wise for the last five years. Instead of the Pioneer SA-9800, I have the C-21/M-22 combo. Their class-A purity matches ideally with the ruthlessly revealing Yamaha NS-1000M, especially with my 80s vintage LP12. Only my CD-P and streamer betrays the real decade we're in, but they are more ancillary than mainstays.

I had a Beogram 4004 followed by a Systemdek II early 80s.

Both of the times and I would have them both back, serviced of course, any time.

In 1980 I had a Ariston RD11e (upgraded from an Micro Seiki MB10), a Sugden A48II and a pair of Cambridge Audio L30 speakers. I still have the Sugden (looks scruffy and needs caps) and the speakers (stuck on a shelf somewhere). The turntable was replaced after a couple of years with a P3 and then a Gyro SE, which is still here and probably forever. The thing that struck me reading this thread is that in 40+ years I have only used four turntables in anger, 4 (or maybe 5) amps and 4 pairs of speakers. Needless to say, this house of full of stuff bought for cheap and needing fixing that I will get around to eventually.

But to answer the question, my choice for an early '80s system based on the things I have had are: Rega P3 (forget any Dual), Quad 33/303 or maybe a 405. Speakers? who knows - I always like Rogers Export Monitors and Spendor BC1s, but they were a bit more late '70s than '80s. Or a bit left field, Tannoy Profile 638s - I have a pair of and they are awesome, if ugly, and can probably be got cheapish. The are better than the Precision 6.2s I have now, especially for reggae, but the 6.2s fit in the room so much better.

advertisement

Back