advertisement

My local river has just been trashed.

If you get in quick his BPS payment could be stopped, payment window has just opened but it can be delayed by months.

I'm pretty sure it will be an infringement of cross compliance and the original will be in his Farm Environmental Record.

I thought flood control measures usually went for slowing down flows to keep them even.

Assuming it is proven to be him, might he not find himself liable for any flood damage downstream, on top of any other liabilities on the environmental front?

It seems to me, from what is reported here (haven’t followed up elsewhere), if the EA has been ‘dragging its feet’, that’s as likely to be because any fix is complicated and they wisely choose not to rush in with an easy, obvious (and wrong) solution such as this arsehole has implemented. With any luck, the EA will have studies suggesting what this sort of work would have ‘achieved’, and if it comes to pass, he deserves to be bankrupted for the reparations.

I saw the report and a photo somewhere. I don't know what was there before, but what was left is horrific. It will simply erode long before any vegetation is established and he may end up wishing he hadn't bothered.. unless of course claiming 'Environmental Improvement' subsidy is his plan.

There's a small stream in a little wooded valley just below where I Iive. The local farmers have dredged it out a few times recently and where they have been too enthusiastic, they too have caused erosion and made things worse, though I don't think they are malicious.

IMHO, most farmers are decent enough, but there does seem to be something in the mentality of a significant minority of the 'Get Orrff of Moi Laaand' variety, which leaves them thinking they are above the Law.

When I was a lad.. we got chased out of a local Spinney on a regular basis because we were 'disturbing the wildlife'. When the farmer wanted to bulldoze the lot, and numerous hedgerows. in order to increase field sizes.... said spinneys and hedgerows were 'full of vermin'...

Thank you for the link. I've voted ! :)

My son (who lives in Barcelona) has just found out some interesting detail. Price had a planning application for the site for 19 houses refused because of the potential damage to the river.

I've got some more detail which I'll post later this evening.

advertisement

Back