advertisement

Cyrus XR who's going to be first...

zippy

pfm Member
To listen to / buy the new Cyrus (preamp especially).
Cyrus are modestly calling it "nothing short of a revolution"

How does one audition these days anyway..?

For my part, though i like the small black box format but couldn't they have designed a better facia, with a full width display that is actually readable from a normal listening position?

I like the looks - fresh looking but still fits nicely with the Classic series.

However, when it comes to hyperbolic statements about sound quality improvements, tread carefully. Audio electronics has been capable of transparency for decades - so don't expect major advances now.

I thought you meant who's going to be first to criticise it on the grounds of price before hearing any of them. Oh, come to think of it...
As far as auditioning, my local Audio T has been very generous offering to deliver items for home demonstration.

....it’s a seriously high price-point; Naim territory. I’ve wonderful HiFi components made in China; Wharfedale, Cambridge Audio to name a couple, but they are not premiumly priced at all.... I’m interested, as if these components are made in China then, IMO, they would have to be extraordinary at their asking price...

Probably going to be loved by What Hi Fi and hated by everyone else !
However they do need a good new product to rekindle sales so fingers crossed for them

....it’s a seriously high price-point; Naim territory. I’ve wonderful HiFi components made in China; Wharfedale, Cambridge Audio to name a couple, but they are not premiumly priced at all.... I’m interested, as if these components are made in China then, IMO, they would have to be extraordinary at their asking price...
Cyrus say 'assembled in U.K.' so I'd say there are Chinese components, but then again what maker doesn't have..

I used to have a Cyrus system and frequented the old CU forum. Decent kit with the right speakers. This new product line is long overdue. I had assumed they planned a new line using the Cyrus One casework. Maybe they did and it it got canned due to disappointing build quality. Anyway, the new display and buttons on the old shoebox are definitely an improvement, if not quite state of the art. No mention of a streamer yet. They really struggled with app development and FW updates with the last ones.

Their case design remains a bit too "coked-out 80's hedge fund manager" for my tastes.

I find most high end audio products truly hideous - massive cases, silly oversized feet, very poorly judged illumination.....all to justify very high prices for what is in effect no better than has been produced for many decades in terms of performance. When it come to reinventing the wheel, the hi-fi industry must take the crown.

The Cyrus boxes are both functional and elegant.

BTW the new XR releases will cost between £2K-£4K, expensive but not nuts.

Our manufacturing showcase video showing some of the techniques and processes necessary to make Cyrus Audio products in the UK

You might be able to upgrade some of the internals. The recently introduced new dac board can be retrofitted to some legacy amplifiers and pre amps. Plus you can send your PSXR back to Cyrus and have it brought up to MK2 spec. Some of the older CD players can be brought up to latest CDI spec. To give them credit, they do try to offer an upgrade path.

Time will tell.

advertisement

Back