advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bowmore 12 looks good value but in general, I prefer my whisky at 46% or 43% at a pinch. Usually 40% I find a little bit lacking. I've not tried that Bowmore so I can't say for sure but probably I wouldn't take a punt on it..
Agreed. Obviously a bit sweeping, but it’s a good rule of thumb to avoid anything diluted to 40%. You can always add water.

The Bowmore 12 looks good value but in general, I prefer my whisky at 46% or 43% at a pinch. Usually 40% I find a little bit lacking. I've not tried that Bowmore so I can't say for sure but probably I wouldn't take a punt on it..
It is also chill-filtered and caramel colourant added which does not go down well with the aficionados.
Ralfy is a reliable, if idiosyncratic, source of whisky opinions for malts I have not tried.
80/100 which is a basic, but decent, malt mark, but he rates the blends in Lidl and Aldi higher!
Also Serge & Co at Whiskyfun. 84/100.
http://www.whiskyfun.com/archivejune20-1-Bowmore-Glenmorangie.html#030620
Also the Malt-Review website. MR are harsh!

Last edited:
Ralfy knows his stuff alright. My latest Ralfy-inspired discovery was mixing 100 proof Rittenhouse rye with Eagle Rare bourbon. Delicious. Poor man’s Pappy apparently, not that I’ll ever find out!

Ralfy knows his stuff alright. My latest Ralfy-inspired discovery was mixing 100 proof Rittenhouse rye with Eagle Rare bourbon. Delicious. Poor man’s Pappy apparently, not that I’ll ever find out!
Intriguing...might give that a whirl.
Do you have a link to the recipe?
Edit: Found the link and it's 50/50:

JW Green arrived today. One aspect I love is that my father was a JW Red drinker so the bottle and label evokes memories. The Green flavour is right up my street though there’s not the complexity of some expensive single malts, I doubt the prime barrels are used for the Green. For £28 it’s wonderful.

The Rittenhouse does look interesting and I do like rye. I've got three bottles open just now with Pikesville being a particular regular though I've got a bottle of Handy that gets opened when good friends pop round. I met Ralfy at Good Spirits in Glasgow and grabbed a fantastic Ralfy released Ben Nevis that was only 4 year old sherry refill. It was an amazing whisky that put most bottles even four times its age to shame.
Cheers for the heads up

Wee birdie saying Lidil 16 year old is made by Bowmore as you can imagine a bit of a bargain.

As far as I'm aware; that's right and it's very nice too... Not had the bottle myself; but have had a dram or 2 of it and it was very nice indeed; great depth

Lagavulin 16.

Don't bother with anything else.

£48 on Amazon.

I haven't had any of this for upwards of forty five years, but nevertheless wholeheartedly agree with you, twotone. Am suspicious of the £48 Amazon price, and everything else Amazon. Can't stand Amazon.

I love Lagavulin 16 and that Amazon price is a whopping £2 off the price my supermarket does it for. However, there are other enjoyable drams out there and I wouldn't want to restrict my experience to one.

Keep watching Amazon, this is peak whisky promotion season. I don't get it, you are going to sell scads of it anyway in December, so I would have thought that January was the time to lower prices, because you can't give the stuff away then and every other bugger is doing dry January for some strange masochistic reason.

Still, December it is.

Sadly I'm generally on a ban on buying myself whisky during December, in-case I end up overlapping with Christmas presents that have been bought for me.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the TOAD, its my local distillery and I have spoken to the guys in Oxford Wine Company earlier this year and they described it as being a bit 'too young' at the moment, and probably best waiting for a later release.
Have you tried it? I guess the TOAD tastings are not happening at the moment but when we went there last year it was a very fun place with people who clearly love their spirits!! (Their dry gin was superb, too.)

The TOAD Oxford Rye (Cask 3, 53.4%, Nov 2017, bottled July 2019 ) - absolutely lovely - very beguiling, smooth, rich, balanced. I have this and Arran 10 at the moment - the TOAD, of course higher ABV, is just more velvety, caramel and superbly well balanced (I drink it neat). Sorry I'm not very good at explaining - if the the guys from OWC are right this is definitely one to watch for the future - though it will never be cheap but on the other hand nice to have the local connection - must have run around what is now the distillery in South Park about 1000 times! It will be my Christmas tipple if it lasts that long...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back