advertisement

Are there many Denon fans out there?

G.smith310

pfm Member
DENON have really caught my eye recently

Japanese, quite handsome, on paper their sound quality is up my street.

Can anyone give any advice on them? Ones to avoid, eras to look out for etc

My max would be £500 so I've been looking at 1500, 1510 1520 and 2000 all AE models.

I do like the look of the IV models but they are older and spending so much on an older model is a bit scary!

I'd be switching between my Proac Tabelette 2000s and monitor audio silver 1s

Thanks,

I bought one of their top amps. After a year it would loose one channel after a couple of hours. Put it into get fixed received back as fixed. After a couple of days the the problem returned. Shame as it was a great sounding amp. I gave the amp to a brother in law who lives with the problem. Replaced the Denon with a Yamaha for the shop which was very reliable.

@I.D.C. how did it compare to the yammy from a sound point of view? I was also looking at yammies but they seem to be a bit pricier
Yamaha was better built given the price that's not a surprise. Denon had a warmer sound but still very clear. Yamaha was a cleaner sound if that makes sence. A turntable was source of both amps using the amps phono stage. Both good sounding amps in their own right.

@Hoopsontoast that is a thing of beauty! by looking at the sold prices on ebay, it seems like id be lucky to get one at all! they dont come about often,

@Gervais Cote id snap one up if i see one for the right price. Im guessing that the champgne facia makes it sound better too ! ;)

@DimitryZ What is the build quality like?

@Arkless Electronics not a fan? or just a general comment?
Build is excellent, though not as in overbuilt tank.

I bought a Denon TU-800L tuner quite a few years ago for a song and for sound and reception it's hard to beat. Superb clarity, air and detail, just a bit light on bass. A very sensitive tuner and very wide in wide IF mode and very selective in the 3rd 'Super Narrow' mode. Much better than the TU-260L that got all the attention in the hi-fi press!

I own a Demon multi-tuner system.
Devils, they are.

I remember trying the DCD-A100 when they had their 100th anniv. - glossy black SACD player. It was superb - I played a Squeezebox into the coax DAC and got amazing results. Probably as nice to listen to as the CDX2 I had at the time. However I thought the matching amp was a bit sluggish so I didn't go further with them.

@Hoopsontoast that is a thing of beauty! by looking at the sold prices on ebay, it seems like id be lucky to get one at all! they dont come about often,

@Gervais Cote id snap one up if i see one for the right price. Im guessing that the champgne facia makes it sound better too ! ;)

@DimitryZ What is the build quality like?

@Arkless Electronics not a fan? or just a general comment?

A general comment. They all have the same styling, same build, use similar technology and the same parts by and large. When I get say an 80's receiver in that's made by a Japanese company I pretty much just ignore what make it is as once the lids off they are all much of a muchness underneath.

advertisement

Back