advertisement

One box solutions v separates

I have gone from 4 boxes (Pre, Monoblock, Monoblock, Phono Pre) to 1 and am very satisfied. Could have been 5 to 1 if I didn't still prefer my separate headphone amp over the option in the integrated.

I looked at the Hegel as an option, but decided I would rather have my DAC separate as it is likely something I will want to upgrade over time more. of course there is the option of an integrated amp where the DAC is on a separate module you can update over time.

The unnecessary outrageous price of analog and digital cables dampen someone's hope to acquire proper separate components so people acquire all in one components.

Another Devialet fan here. Gone from four (five counting power supply) to one box. Completely reliable (touch wood) in the seven and a half years of ownership. I still have a multi-box system upstairs, but it's too bloody cold up there this time of year.

The unnecessary outrageous price of analog and digital cables dampen someone's hope to acquire proper separate components so people acquire all in one components.
Yes indeed. It's outrageous to have to buy amps costing as much as one tenth of cables.

Unless you understand they're not necessary...

Even if you go all in one you still have mains and speaker cable to throw money away on (if you are a believer). Maybe even ethernet!

Last edited:
In the context of a pre-amp a DAC is just another input, I am far less prone to require everything separate.

In the context of a pre-amp a DAC is just another input ...
Similarly, adding network bridge functions to a single box, such as Ethernet or WiFi supporting interface protocols such as Roon, Airplay, UPnP/DLNA, Squeezelite, HQPlayer NAA or Spotify, can be seen as just adding other inputs.

This might just reflect my ignorance but I am not sure of the maturity of some of these function and whether or not future developments in digital steaming might require unavailable updates. I would certainly think of including these network interfaces in a single box but this is where I would also start to think about (i) when something might change in future; and (ii) what I would do if something did change.

A diversity of inputs helps. Including inputs I believe to be stable enough - analogue and digital via SPDIF, TOSLINK and async. USB. These provide paths forward if other interface protocols develop without backward compatibility or if errors are found in interface software which cause incompatibilities.

I do have these networked functions in my system - but via an inexpensive and unobtrusive Raspberry Pi box that can be updated and even junked with alacrity if that's needed to cope with future developments.

I think a quality intergrated amp can be every bit as good as a quality pre/ power set, though I'd normally choose a seperate phono stage with either, as for DACs and digital technology I'm not so sure but given the way digital tech changes perhaps best kept seperate.

I've ended up with a system that is quite flexible. One of the big features I like about my Bryston B60 (other than the excellent service offered by Bryston, 20-year warranty etc) is that it has a Pre-Out and Power-In, which means I can use it as a separate Pre and/or Power amplifier, useful with a MiniDSP inserted in between. I have used this for an active system with B60 Pre as the main Preamp, the B60 Power supplying bass and a separate power amp for tweeters, or as it is at the moment, B60 Power for full-range drivers and 2nd outputs from the MiniDSP into a sub-woofer.
If the MiniDSP goes bust, I can just swap it out or remove it completely.
Similar with the Yamaha CD-NT670D, does CD replay, Spotify Streaming, NAS Streaming, Internet Radio etc all in one box, and its so affordable if it did go bust, its not an issue. I still have the trusty Sony S9000ES sitting safe in a box!

Similarly, adding network bridge functions to a single box, such as Ethernet or WiFi supporting interface protocols such as Roon, Airplay, UPnP/DLNA, Squeezelite, HQPlayer NAA or Spotify, can be seen as just adding other inputs.

This might just reflect my ignorance but I am not sure of the maturity of some of these function and whether or not future developments in digital steaming might require unavailable updates. I would certainly think of including these network interfaces in a single box but this is where I would also start to think about (i) when something might change in future; and (ii) what I would do if something did change.

A diversity of inputs helps. Including inputs I believe to be stable enough - analogue and digital via SPDIF, TOSLINK and async. USB. These provide paths forward if other interface protocols develop without backward compatibility or if errors are found in interface software which cause incompatibilities.

I do have these networked functions in my system - but via an inexpensive and unobtrusive Raspberry Pi box that can be updated and even junked with alacrity if that's needed to cope with future developments.
DACs have been around for as long as I can remember, people still listen to very old designs & some prefer them. I can’t really argue with your wider point on streaming not something I know a great deal about.

DACs have been around for as long as I can remember, people still listen to very old designs & some prefer them. I can’t really argue with your wider point on streaming not something I know a great deal about.

I'd be fine with having an amp with a DAC, but wouldn't be quite as keen on having an amp that's also a streamer other than for a lower end/disposable system. In our kitchen we use a Cambridge Audio One as amp, CD player, DAB tuner, DAC and streamer and it's great for the occasional use that gets especially as it takes up very little space, but I wouldn't want to go down a similar route with the systems in other rooms - mostly because it's a lot of functionality to lose in one go if it generates a fault, as well as some futureproofing concerns.

I'd be fine with having an amp with a DAC, but wouldn't be quite as keen on having an amp that's also a streamer other than for a lower end/disposable system. In our kitchen we use a Cambridge Audio One as amp, CD player, DAB tuner, DAC and streamer and it's great for the occasional use that gets especially as it takes up very little space, but I wouldn't want to go down a similar route with the systems in other rooms - mostly because it's a lot of functionality to lose in one go if it generates a fault, as well as some futureproofing concerns.
Yes, fair point.

Yes - IMHO DAC technology is quite mature enough for me to include in the single box. And the common interfaces too (not sure about I2S, though). My view might not suit people who like to try new things more often than I do, though. And as I think you know I also have a CD player in with my preamp plus DAC. Putting all of these eggs into one basket was something I was happy to do a couple of years ago and I am still happy today.

Yes - IMHO DAC technology is quite mature enough for me to include in the single box. And the common interfaces too (not sure about I2S, though). My view might not suit people who like to try new things more often than I do, though. And as I think you know I also have a CD player in with my preamp plus DAC. Putting all of these eggs into one basket was something I was happy to do a couple of years ago and I am still happy today.
I am about to go down a very similar route

I personally think digital/UPNP is fully matured. there's nothing new in a hi-end 24/192 setup, just variations. My amp use 4 BB 1794 DAC channels, these chips are still being used in current designs.

Tech blub from here: http://en.audionet.de/machines/dna/

Construction
Combining innovative construction and circuit structure solutions with our experience and knowledge in digital and analogue audio technology, the DNA utilizes more than 4,000 parts for highest accuracy digital and analogue signal processing.
Over eighteen years of research and development into improvement of our components, proprietary software and the feedback of audiophiles at all stages allow the DNA to feature a sound that is rarely experienced in an integrated amplifier.

Equalizer, Delay- and Bass-Management
The DNA’s double precision bass management uses 48-bit resolution at all sampling frequencies, enabling the most accurate reproduction of even the lowest frequencies. The bass manager offers freely selectable cutoff frequencies, filter Q factors, and subwoofer phases; thus enabling integration of up to two subwoofers into the network, and are configurable into multi-room outputs.

The digital parametric equalizer uses 5 Minimum Phase Equalizers (MPE), for main channel and subwoofer outputs. Each MPE is configurable in filter type, frequency, gain, and Q factor within an unusually wide adjustment range, allowing the effective optimization of all parameters and compensation of less than ideal room characteristics or acoustical problems. The delay manager allows for a range of up to 7 meters, automatically calculating delay times in relationship to the setup and speaker distances while allowing phase control of each subwoofer.

Signal processing
In order to optimize the D/A conversion, Audionet’s engineers pursued the uncompromising reduction and elimination of jitter, resulting in a highly exact, musical and solid sound image, stage and depth. To this end, we have developed Audionet’s Intelligent Sampling Technology, which performs with stellar results the analogue signal recovery from the digital bit stream. Audio data is routed through a two-stage filtering and decoupling procedure. First, the input data is filtered with Audionet’s proprietary software using a powerful signal processor and up sampled synchronously, through filters designed for optimal transient and frequency response. At the next stage, the optimized data is then resolved through an asynchronous up sampling procedure at 192kHz/24bit, allowing the complete isolation from any potential jitter originating from the input clock. The resulting audio data is then passed to two high-performance converters, which are clocked by dedicated ultra high precision quartz crystals and individually processed per channel into analogue signals. This method ensures that jitter faults are eliminated – completely lossless – in the analogue signal to the highest degree, resulting in unmatched clarity, room depth, and stage imaging. In addition, power flux interferences are avoided by powering the digital section of the DNA entirely separately from the analogue section.

Amplification
Neither did we make any compromises with the analogue signal processing of the Audionet DNA. In a lavish research and development phase every detail has been reconsidered and tested. The circuit design and the construction are designed for maximum performance.

The DNA’s analogue power amplifier represents the latest version of Audionet’s state-of-the-art Ultra Linear Amplifier (ULA) technology. This highly complex circuit topology, designed initially for use in medical engineering and applications, thus requiring highest precision standards, delivers results at the limits of physical laws. Even with the most severe strain or amplifier stress situations, signal impurities are virtually unnoticeable, and high return loss guarantees that demanding loudspeakers will play to their full potential.

The amplifier section of the DNA has been designed as a dual mono power amplifier. This helps to reduce the feedback of magnetic fields and interference radiation and largely blocks interaction be-tween the amplifier channels and also the input, correction and power stages. Each channel has its own power supply with a separate 700 VA transformer and 72,000 µF of filter capacitance. An ex-tremely fast, local correction stage prevents the emergence of distortions in realtime. For the analogue biasing voltages we have added another separate power supply with its own 50 VA transformer.

Audionet researches, pursues and acquires exclusively only highest quality components worldwide, requiring in many cases custom design and production. For example, filter caps are designed to our specifications using Japanese silk dielectrics, custom mica caps, and selected high-current foil caps from Germany, manufactured for an ultra low loss angle. Internal wiring is done with top-grade silver/gold alloy, and the best available connection systems from our colleagues at WTB in Essen, Germany. As part of our quest to use only the highest-grade components available, Audionet manufactures the DNA’s operational amplifiers in house. Each Audionet op-amp contains more than 86 discrete components, and is characterized as a unique gain-bandwidth product.

To optimize the high frequency capabilities, the circuits have been miniaturized, and signal paths minimized. The signal path is clear of passive, sound effecting components, like coils, inductors, or capacitors. Noise, distortion, and crosstalk are all but eliminated, for the highest level of energy, dynamics, and purity of sound. A microprocessor unit regulates all functions and measurements, including DC, high frequency, overload, and temperature.

The Audionet DNA’s sound has a strong foundation, is powerful yet spacious and full of contour, natural and refined, turning bits and bytes into an unprecedented and vibrant musical experience.

The last iteration of the amp (which I have) has a few further developments in both hardware and software but mainly in the software domain, playing native bit and sample rates etc.
I upgraded the amps filter caps to Mundorf Mlytics, totalling 176.000uF - and i also use the optional PSU, and Audionet EPS G2 http://en.audionet.de/machines/eps-g2/ which adds a further 260,000uF.

This was first conceived and tested 2011/12, unfortunately they stopped production in 2017.

Having had a single pre/CDP/DAC unit go faulty it didn't half leave a hole when it went off for repair (and put me off digital volume control for life).

I get the idea of single or fewer boxes, but would definitely weigh up repair cost and feasibility considerations of the unit/s in question, and technology redundancy, especially if a big investment.

advertisement

Back