advertisement

Equipment supports/racks

Other than for a turntable I'm not convinced I can hear a difference between racks. In my living room the system is just on a normal bit of AV furniture rather than a hi-fi rack, and while I use proper hi-fi racks elsewhere (including Mana stuff for my main system) I'm not really sure I'd bother again.

I'm glad @Woodface kicked this thread off. I'm about to make my first foray into the vinyl world. Having last owned a turntable in 1984, I have no clue and have often thought I might need to reserve some of the budget for turntable isolation. Surely vibration has got to impact TT playback to some extent? I'll watch this thread with interest and will probably ask for advice separately when the amp and turntable are nearer to joining the Obelisks. Have the milking machine; just need to get the cow now.

So I'm I'm imagining things.

I’m really analysing my own journey as a young, enthusiastic and perhaps gullible hifi journeyman. I think I was probably guilty of falling for the foo but I was never convinced hence the shedding of this stuff over the past few years.It paid for the gear I now use which is simpler and less flashy than previous buys. I’m now much happier in my listening, less bothered about trying other things and upgrading. The biggest difference was when I changed the speakers I had for ribbons. I realised that the transparency and subtlety that this change brought to my music was all I really needed. They cost less than my previous boxes and harmonise well with my commercial all in one amplifier. I spent all those years changing boxes when I could have been listening to ribbons and their suitability to the c,as do all and vocal music I love.getting this configuration right made it even easier to forget other more minor things like cables and stands etc.

I'm glad @Woodface kicked this thread off. I'm about to make my first foray into the vinyl world. Having last owned a turntable in 1984, I have no clue and have often thought I might need to reserve some of the budget for turntable isolation. Surely vibration has got to impact TT playback to some extent? I'll watch this thread with interest and will probably ask for advice separately when the amp and turntable are nearer to joining the Obelisks. Have the milking machine; just need to get the cow now.

Turntables are the one area I have noticed a difference. My LP12 is on a Mana wall-shelf (plus a couple of additional levels) and that'd been great.

The turntable in the living room system is just on top of the AV unit and that's fairly ok but you do get the occasional footfall issue.

I'm a big fan boy for Quadraspire , went from Q4 to Q4 with Q4 evo shelfs here and there finaly selling it all on for Quadraspire SVT which is very good .
From my experience items that benifit the most are TTs CDPs and very surprisingly Dacs .

I'm glad @Woodface kicked this thread off. I'm about to make my first foray into the vinyl world. Having last owned a turntable in 1984, I have no clue and have often thought I might need to reserve some of the budget for turntable isolation. Surely vibration has got to impact TT playback to some extent? .
Yes, of course it does. However solutions don't have to be expensive. A shelf standing on squash balls, blutak or a folded towel will isolate a TT as well as an AudioFooBollocks custom stand, it just lacks the reassuringly high price tag.

I have my silly-priced hifi on two 4 shelf Atacama Equinox racks for no other reason than they allow easy access to the cabling and all those power switches which hifi lunacy tends to place on the back of the *&!# boxes

The racks might be good news for the SME20 but I am not convinced of any SQ benefit for the rest including the valve pre and phono stage.

The friend who inherited my Canary 601 valve pre and Avondale stereo power has them in the middle of her bookshelves and they work none the worse for it 'once she removed the speakers from the shelves that is).

I am not a fan of the traditional racks especially those with a small distance between levels. Electromagnetic pea soup.

advertisement

Back