advertisement

Whisky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Penderyn Legend review:
Neat: Aroma of tropical fruit, vanilla, some light oak.
Taste: Peppery alcohol sting, vanilla, honey and caramel. Very esteric, sweet, absolutely no phenol or cresol.
With the addition of a small amount of water, the vanilla and honey notes dominate even more. A banana note. Very light, sweet, peanut butter type aromas.
As I imagined, it's like a very light Speyside. Nice, inoffensive. Rather the Ford Mondeo of malt whiskies. You can do a lot worse.

It’s back at full price at the mo but I nabbed the Tamnavulin Sherry Cask while it was £20, based on its 90+/100 in the IWSC and it’s a nice dram if you like a sweeter style. I’m usually an Islay man but not exclusively so.

Keeping an eye on the 16yo Lagavulin. Amazon have hacked 20-30% off in previous years so remaining vigilant.

Keeping an eye on the 16yo Lagavulin. Amazon have hacked 20-30% off in previous years so remaining vigilant.

Shout out if you do spot a discount on that, as it's probably my favourite everday whisky and could do with increasing my stocks!

May seem like blasphemy to some but I've just made myself an Old Fashioned using Laphroaig quarter cask. My god that is nice, even if I am drinking out of a Kilchoman tumbler!

I've never enjoyed a cocktail made with ....erm....'good' whisky though I must admit I am tempted by this.

In other news I am still loving the bitter cherry bourbon that I made recently.....and tipping a teaspoon into an old fashioned is revolutionary!

It’s back at full price at the mo but I nabbed the Tamnavulin Sherry Cask while it was £20, based on its 90+/100 in the IWSC and it’s a nice dram if you like a sweeter style. I’m usually an Islay man but not exclusively so.

That sounds like a good one to spot

Someone mentioned Glenmorangie Lasanta above. Tesco are, or were a few days ago, doing this for 35 pounds if you have a clubcard. Also, just bought a couple of bottles of Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or from SpiritsKiosk. First time I have used them, but they get good reviews. Cheapest I had seen before was about 48 quid a bottle. From SK it was 42 initially, then 10 percent off for new buyer subscribing to the newsletter, and free delivery over 50 pounds.

Someone mentioned Glenmorangie Lasanta above. Tesco are, or were a few days ago, doing this for 35 pounds if you have a clubcard. Also, just bought a couple of bottles of Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or from SpiritsKiosk. First time I have used them, but they get good reviews. Cheapest I had seen before was about 48 quid a bottle. From SK it was 42 initially, then 10 percent off for new buyer subscribing to the newsletter, and free delivery over 50 pounds.

Me, but no local Tesco and no club card.

But also I'd rather buy online and have it delivered than venture to Tescos where I live and have to deal with the local mouth breathers...

I’m just sampling the Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve - not cheap at full price (although I got it for £25) and it was well reviewed by IWSC - and I have to declare it’s a bit ordinary. It’s pleasant enough but lacks depth.

I’m just sampling the Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve - not cheap at full price (although I got it for £25) and it was well reviewed by IWSC - and I have to declare it’s a bit ordinary. It’s pleasant enough but lacks depth.

Yeah; had that. Agree with what you say; no depth at all and the aftertaste disappears very quickly

If you want a good 'Caribbean' dram; the Balvenie Caribbean is superb :)

So Johnny Walker is good? I’d always assumed, being a blend, that it was cooking scotch or something you’d put on your cornflakes, like Bells etc, rather than a serious beverage.

So Johnny Walker is good? I’d always assumed, being a blend, that it was cooking scotch or something you’d put on your cornflakes, like Bells etc, rather than a serious beverage.

JW Blue tickles my pickle -- I find it very smooth with bags of earthy/peaty notes. Very enjoyable IMO. Worth the price?.. I'm inclined to say yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back