advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
It replaced a £3k modern DAC that I had chosen following a number of demonstrations against similarly priced DACs. The massive investment that Technics put into its power supply and output stages must be the reason as I assume that DAC chips themselves have developed considerably.

50639059041_02265a3d09.jpg

post-11148-100000437%201170294444.jpg[IMG]
I honestly think that the properly engineered top end DACs from the mid 90s are some of the most enjoyable I’ve heard... give a Linn Numerik, Theta, top end DPA etc a good signal and they will be a tough act to beat. I fine a lot of modern DACs a little boring, accurate they may be, inspiring they aren’t.

That Technics looks like a real beauty!

I honestly think that the properly engineered top end DACs from the mid 90s are some of the most enjoyable I’ve heard... give a Linn Numerik, Theta, top end DPA etc a good signal and they will be a tough act to beat. I fine a lot of modern DACs a little boring, accurate they may be, inspiring they aren’t.

That Technics looks like a real beauty!

It's 20kg of cool sounds!

Exactly, we still have Brexit to come next year, anyone looking to buy some new kit from an EU country, you've got 4 weeks, otherwise expect a long wait & big hike in prices!
TS

I actually just brought forward buying a Khozmo preamp in anticipation of this issue.

Though tbf I’m having a hard time separating ‘prudent decision to purchase earlier than planned’ from ‘excuse’.

Either way, it arrived today and it’s very nice.

I actually just brought forward buying a Khozmo preamp in anticipation of this issue.

Though tbf I’m having a hard time separating ‘prudent decision to purchase earlier than planned’ from ‘excuse’.

Either way, it arrived today and it’s very nice.
Excellent choice, I have a Khozmo hooked up to a Leak ST20 in my bedroom system.

Excellent choice, I have a Khozmo hooked up to a Leak ST20 in my bedroom system.

Nice.

I’m using the Khozmo dual mono as a kind of balance control into a Primaluna integrated at the moment. But the amp does have an input that bypasses the preamp stage and feeds the power amp direct. So I can also hook the Khozmo up so it works in basically the same way as your setup.

Looking forward to experimenting with both ways over the weekend.

Yes, when I saw images of Central London I was sorry I couldnt visit!

A few years ago, we parked up in central London on a Sunday early morning. We took the bikes and it was amazing cycling around the city and all of central London with almost no traffic around

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it and where you found it?

I absolutely love high end 80s and 90s Jap hifi and in particular earlier digital kit.

I have owned it for a few years. It is as rare as hen's teeth outside Japan.

Nice.

I’m using the Khozmo dual mono as a kind of balance control into a Primaluna integrated at the moment. But the amp does have an input that bypasses the preamp stage and feeds the power amp direct. So I can also hook the Khozmo up so it works in basically the same way as your setup.

Looking forward to experimenting with both ways over the weekend.

Actually, since this is the thread that it is, I suppose a pic or two might be in order.

50654508988_4965e84f44_k.jpg

Reverse angle for greater valveness:

50655243806_ca98b3ff53_k.jpg

Actually, since this is the thread that it is, I suppose a pic or two might be in order.

50654508988_4965e84f44_k.jpg

Reverse angle for greater valveness:

50655243806_ca98b3ff53_k.jpg
Gosh..... that looks purposeful. is the smaller box next to your Khozmo one of those french dacs?

Gosh..... that looks purposeful. is the smaller box next to your Khozmo one of those french dacs?

Yes it is, well spotted. It’s technically known as a Starting Point Systems DAC 3. A nice little NOS DAC, made by a decent chap, as far as I could tell from dealing with him.

I’m aiming to try one or more Audio Note models against it eventually, but for the time being it’s great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back