advertisement

drum & bass

What era? If starting at the beginning Goldie Timeless, Groovrider Mysteries Of Funk, Photek Modus Operandi and most things on Metalheadz are worth a look. I’m sure others will be along with more recent stuff and to highlight how it morphs into grime, dubstep etc.

I have to say that all of the multitude of categorys confuses the hell out of me, not least how one morphs into another, which is another way of saying that the categories are essentially imaginary - I buy what I like, end of.
Howvere D&B is my better half's musical passion - I'll catch up and suggest some of her favourites, of her interpretation of D&B, later.

For me, there are quite a few postings over on the trip-hop thread that would classify as D&B, so if you haven't browsed that, it will take a while to get through, but have a search there.

I don't think you can go far wrong with New forms by Roni Size. It's a classic and has the fabulous Brown paper bag on it, which is a must listen track if you like a bit of DnB.

Start with Kemistry and Storm's DJ Kicks set, which is a classic - raw and dark and uplifting all at the same time.

I don't think you can go far wrong with New forms by Roni Size. It's a classic and has the fabulous Brown paper bag on it, which is a must listen track if you like a bit of DnB.

Get the 2CD set, otherwise you don't get the vocal version of 'Brown Paper Bag'.

Bit of an essentialist me: drum and bass dead by '97 and best years '93-'96

Looking back, this compilation captured two peak labels at their peak:

(playlist)

Early Reinforced compilations also great:

Only good single artist LP IMO:

Hospital Records had some good releases ca 2009-10

Despite his issues away from the music, Mistabishi made this banger

I think there is no finer than LTJ Bukem Logical Progression. I’m quite enjoying a bit of Pola & Bryson Lost in Thought if you’re looking for something a bit more recent.

Good thread, some of my favourite albums are
Ram Trilogy - Molten Beats
Ed Rush & Optical - The Creeps
Bad Company - Inside the machine

advertisement

Back