advertisement

Do loudspeakers ‘break in’?

I often wonder why manufacturers don’t break in their woofers before they reach the production line, especially on upper market speakers.
What would it cost them? Not a lot, given the prices they charge.
I find it unacceptable that the final customer has to do it. This often leads to disappointment after purchase.
I suspect it depends mainly on how relevant engineering quality is to the business. Neumann are from the high quality end of the spectrum and an indication of their approach is given in the "Preaching Tolerance" section near the bottom of the page here. It probably represents around the best that can be achieved today for a modest cost. Of course it requires the use of active crossovers rather than passive but if technical quality is a requirement then that would tend to follow.

Flippant response to the question - I sure HOPE so, I'm listening to Leak Mini-Sandwich units that are........50 years old!

I'm not one for the technical data but I distinctly remember having some Kef 104/2 in the late 1980s that sounded much richer after a few days use. This may have been due to speaker burn in or the fact that I left the Naim equipment on permanently. I never really worried about the source of the improvement.

I work for a manufacturer of snowmobile drive belts and when installing a new belt, we recommend running it less than half throttle for 20 minutes and let it rest for complete cooling down. Failing to do so, the belt will not conform with the sheaves and performance will be affected.
The surrounds of some speakers being made of a similar rubber, they will also need some time to get their best flexibility, this is what we call a burn in period.

Do speakers break in (or loosen up) if you just play at low volume, say 70db tops?

Yes, absolutely. Speakers definitely benefit from regular use IMO. Environmental factors are very real too, e.g. even a well used pair of speakers usually sound noticeably ‘off’ straight out of a cold box from a courier etc. A whole lot of factors at play, e.g. surround and spider compliance, capacitor forming, internal air-load in sealed boxes etc. I never like to judge anything until it’s been in use a good while.

Yes, absolutely. Speakers definitely benefit from regular use IMO. Environmental factors are very real too, e.g. even a well used pair of speakers usually sound noticeably ‘off’ straight out of a cold box from a courier etc. A whole lot of factors at play, e.g. surround and spider compliance, capacitor forming, internal air-load in sealed boxes etc. I never like to judge anything until it’s been in use a good while.
Last week I bought a pair of Linn Kan II (Ku stone) and straight out of the box they were very shouty with a fast low mid bass but no low bass at all.
A week later they are not so shouty and seem to have developed a much better low bass which I am very impressed (taking in consideration the size of the units).
This could be because of:
1. I am getting used to their sound
2. the speakers are breaking in

I’d put money on it being mainly 2 if they have been in storage unused for any time period. I’d not describe it as ‘breaking in’ as they are a vintage speaker, more acclimatising themselves to a new room’s temperature and humidity (they are a very well sealed box, so this takes time), re-forming old crossover caps and just loosening up again. They’ll keep getting better for a while yet IME. Not something to rush with volume or whatever, they’ll get to wherever they are going in their own time.

Last week I bought a pair of Linn Kan II (Ku stone) and straight out of the box they were very shouty with a fast low mid bass but no low bass at all.
A week later they are not so shouty and seem to have developed a much better low bass which I am very impressed (taking in consideration the size of the units).
When the speakers are brand new, this sound difference comes from the break in.
When the speakers are used or old and left without usage for a long period of time, this might be caused by an empty capacitor recharging itself.
Our brain and ears also get used to a new sound as well, more specifically when you go from a colored sound to a more transparent one.

Just an update on my recent purchase (Linn Kan II (Ku stone).
One week after setting them up, they are now acclimatized. I can confirm that their presentation has somehow became softer (highs & mids) and the bass is tight but has more impact which works wonders with electronic music.
They are very good with jazz, quite balanced and have that amazing quality of disappearing.
They are a bit raw with a Nait 2 but I found the Onix OA21S to be a better match as it has a more polite presentation.
These speakers are keepers

advertisement

Back