advertisement

Great first words on record....

Does the OP mean the first words sung / spoken by an artist on their debut?
In which case, Patti Smith's "Horses" kicks off with "Gloria" - "Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine".

Ha! Great minds...

That was the idea. I just thought that line from Elvis Costello was a magnificent way to announce yourself to the world and wondered who else had arrived with such verbal aplomb. Patti Smith is a good call.

I think there is a good Dead Kennedys opener. Something like, ‘Why are you a stupid assshole? Would you really like to know?’
Their actual first words on record are great: "Efficiency and progress is ours once more now that we have the neutron bomb"

... we came in?
Pink Floyd, The Wall.

Also, great last words on record:

Isn't this where ...
Pink Floyd, The Wall.

Does the OP mean the first words sung / spoken by an artist on their debut?
In which case, Patti Smith's "Horses" kicks off with "Gloria" - "Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine".

Ha! Great minds...

......although, technically, Horses wasn't her recorded debut, the Hey Joe/Piss Factory 7" was.

Found it. Not their first album, but a great opener from Plastic Surgery Disasters - Dead Kennedys

Advice From Christmas Past.

“Why are you such a stupid asshole?
Would you really like to know?
Well, pay your fee, remove your clothes, and Yvette will show you how
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird
Life can be perfect
People can be trusted
Someday, I wll fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own
Free from all the pain
Happy and having fun all the time
It never happened, did it?”

"The music is reversible, but time isn't" ELO - Fire On High (played backwards)
"God Brother - You Lie!" Arthur Brown - Fire Suite
"OK" Steve Howe - And You and I
"Can you tell me where my country lies..." Peter Gabriel/Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

That was the idea. I just thought that line from Elvis Costello was a magnificent way to announce yourself to the world and wondered who else had arrived with such verbal aplomb. Patti Smith is a good call.
There were 3 singles released before the album so strictly speaking he announced himself with
“Calling Mr. Oswald with the swastika tattoo”.

There were 3 singles released before the album so strictly speaking he announced himself with
“Calling Mr. Oswald with the swastika tattoo”.
That's annoying. Snappy, but not as good as the opening line from 'My aim is true'.

"I think, er yeah, it felt natural."

"I still believe in God, but God no longer believes in me."

And, depending on your favourite version.

"This one is dedictaed to Lou Pineda, and it's called 12XU!"

or

"Alright, here it is... again. And it's called...12XU!"

"Oh, the snot has caked against my pants
It has turned into crystal"

Live and Let Live from Forever Changes by Love.

advertisement

Back