advertisement

Hamish MacInnes RIP

RIP. One of Britain's mountaineering legends. Very very lucky to have died a natural death. I didn't know about his spell in a secure hospital and subsequent recovery. That's equally impressive.

Isn't it strange how some people fit a national stereotype, a great Scot.
RIP

Another great Scot was interviwed on R4 - Farming Today - in the past day or so - Doddie Weir - a short programme, well worth a listen.

I get the impression that he was the kind of man who gave much more to the world than he took from it. A great loss to Scotland and to the climbing world.

Interesting picture of the great and good of British mountaineering including Hamish. Mick Burke unfortunately lost his life in his summit attempt:

Great photo.
Just been re-reading WH Murray
(mountaineering Scotland)
Nearly 5 hours cutting steps and handholds
to climb SC gully of Stob Coire nan Lochan.
He was unsurpassed as a writer (of
mountaineering).

Interesting picture of the great and good of British mountaineering including Hamish. Mick Burke unfortunately lost his life in his summit attempt:

Trivia hi fi forum fodder...Graham Tiso was part owner of an Edinburgh hi fi shop, Hi Fi Corner I think possibly. My first experience of top quality gear was him playing me Osibisa on his Quad ESL 57, Quad and Micro Seiki system in a huge room in his New Town georgian flat, the room had rounded corners, and the (original) door was curved to fit. Sound was superb. This would be the early seventies.

Trivia hi fi forum fodder...Graham Tiso was part owner of an Edinburgh hi fi shop, Hi Fi Corner I think possibly. My first experience of top quality gear was him playing me Osibisa on his Quad ESL 57, Quad and Micro Seiki system in a huge room in his New Town georgian flat, the room had rounded corners, and the (original) door was curved to fit. Sound was superb. This would be the early seventies.
Yes he had an interest in HifiCorner. His outdoor equipment shop was right next to it on Rose St. Later Colin MacKenzie took over control of HFC and now Colin’s very capable son Struan is running the business and expanding it. I hope they can get through this awful business environment at the moment.
I got in a hotel lift about 20 years ago and found myself next to Chris Bonnington. I asked him if he was taking the least technically demanding route up to his room. A very nice, funny, down to earth man.

Another tangent - Donald Tiso (Graham's son) was a close friend of my friend Patricia. We first knew him as a young guy around gigs in 79/80, and he was a fixture on the Edinburgh music scene thereafter, an avid recorder of gigs. Sadly he died in January '14 after slipping and falling on Ben Starav whilst hiking with his fiance. She had to leave him and walk off the hill to get help, can't imagine how awful that must have felt. I'd seen him for the first time in years at a memorial gig put on for a mutual friend in 2012 - he was videoing and recording events. He left a huge collection of recordings from the 80's onward - there was talk of someone taking these over to catalogue and preserve them but don't know what came of that.

advertisement

Back