advertisement

Standmount speakers

I have a pair of Quad S1s and I love them. They're only little so bass oomph is limited, but I'd imagine the S2s are a chunk better in that regard. They are very smooth, but also very upfront. They aren't fatiguing and you really don't miss a thing in a recording, but if you like the shy and retiring Harbeth style sound they might not be for you.

EQ as Jem mentioned is your way forward and room treatment.
There was a good thread recently on the forum in regards to this very subject.

Last edited:
I had the Focal 906, a very pleasant speaker, very silky smooth treble. A little soft compared to say a Proac or Spendor, but will never hurt your ears. Big soundstage too. Worth a shot. Quite a large standmount.

Agree with getting a rug. If not I think your problem will persist no matter what speaker you use. Wooden floors in fact any none carpet flooring will reflect the sound making for bad acoustics.

I always give a delivery option when selling stuff, even if I have to buy the packing to do it.
Admittedly there is not a lot of passing traffic through Norwich. It's a bit out on a limb.

Nevertheless it seems most people selling speakers specify collection only which must limit the interest quite considerably.
Especially at the moment, as you say, hifinutt.

I doubt it’s the Neat’s, more likely the Vena. Try to borrow a Quad power amp and use the pre out on the Vena, I had SX3 and they were not thin sounding at all. I used the Vena 2 with them briefly and while the Earth never moved it drove the SX3’ ok. Is the Vena you have a 1, 2 or 2 Play? I believe the power output went up between 1&2 versions.

Hi the Vena I have is the original version. Lots of people saying it's not the speakers so I'm now thinking an amp that has tone controls, at least it would allow me to tweak the sound.

Or recent Yamaha amps

Very good suggestion. I use my Motive 2’s (forerunner to the SX2) with a Yamaha 803 and it sounds excellent. Has room EQ built in as well, not that I’ve felt the need to use it as source direct mode sounds superb.

Looking at the lower end of my budget, has anyone heard the Wharfedale Dentons.

Unless they've brought out a new version, you are going back a bit; nor were they particularly special. Your problem is the wooden floor (d'you use spikes?) and Snufkin and I.D.C.'s advice re. rug/non carpeted flooring are apposite. If you want a decent stand-mount, you'll need decent spiked stands, but a large rug is cheaper. Alternatively, go back to carpets or get a sympathetic floor-stander. I'm a carpet lover, though my wife isn't but hifi takes precedence.;)

That's the ones. Look lovely, I'm guessing they have a nice sound to them. Failing that, I'm thinking an old Marantz pm8005 or similar with tone controls to tame the highs.

advertisement

Back