advertisement

NS-1000M promo cutaway up for sale

Calm down, it’s only a speaker folks.
Quite right. As I said, wanted to scratch the itch for some time. Lots of people clearly love them, so give them a go I say. I wouldn’t of known unless I tried! In the right room, with the right system and music and the right ears, they may well be the end point for some. I can clearly understand why. Just not for me.

Our local dealer had one of those cutaways for years. I think they sold maybe three pairs of NS1000s. Compared to the dealer's main lines Klipsch and Advent, the Yamahas were overpriced.

The trouble with the NS-1000Ms is that it's very easy to get them sounding 'average'. You have to put a bit of time and effort and pick the right amplification to get them sounding exceptional. However, IMHO, when you get it right, they really are exceptional.

I remember hearing a pair a few years ago at a show and being sad that, in this particular setup they sounded dull, lifeless, shut-in and dreary, which is not what they are about at all. However, a chap walked into the room and his face lit up. He stood beside me for a few minutes and then announced to the chap running the room that he'd never heard a pair before but could now understand what the fuss was about and why people loved them. I could have cried!

I have never heard those Yamaha speakers, but I have always liked the look of them.

My brother had several pairs on permanent loan from Yamaha, he was their first engineer in the UK. I only ever heard them via Yamaha amps, and from memory which can fail after 45 years or so, they always seemed bass light, great for detail though.

How much of that fills in with near-wall placement?

Get a pair with 12” Carbon woofers and they fill in the bottom end. I have never heard a pair of standard NS1000 and dare I say it, I think I might find the bottom end a bit weak.

There's a local person working professionally with loudspeaker design where I live and he is making new filters for the NS-1000M on a non-commercial basis. Haven't heard the result myself, but an owner of a pair says there is an improvement, especially in the lower freqs.

The NS-1000Ms don't go particularly low. As a sealed box design, the 2nd order LF rolloff will let you hear some semblance of low bass, but it's not going to rattle your door or flap your trousers. Its LF performance is more than adequate. What bass you get is tight and fast, which is preferable (to me) than ported bass.

When you consider that it's got a 12" woofer in an enclosure with less internal volume than, say, a BC-1 or SHL5+ (which use 8"), bass extension is not going to be a strong suit unless efficiency is thrown away.

When you consider that it's got a 12" woofer in an enclosure with less internal volume than, say, a BC-1 or SHL5+ (which use 8"), bass extension is not going to be a strong suit unless efficiency is thrown away.
As always, you cannot bend Hoffman's Iron Law, but you can negotiate your trade offs.

The NS-1000Ms don't go particularly low. As a sealed box design, the 2nd order LF rolloff will let you hear some semblance of low bass, but it's not going to rattle your door or flap your trousers. Its LF performance is more than adequate. What bass you get is tight and fast, which is preferable (to me) than ported bass.

Thanks James, I have always admired the NS1000 from afar, didn't realize they were sealed boxes, I have a pair of 12" Tannoy Monitor Golds in A 70ltre (2.4cu ft to me) in sealed boxes and they are a little bass light, but so fast, the transients are remarkable. In contrast the pair of DIY (ATC 100s) in 100ltre ported cabinets have room shaking bass, but just a little slower by comparison. It is in the nature of the beast but both are enjoyable in their own way. Of course the amplification and source make a difference, but the speakers dominate the 'colour' of the sound by several orders, even to my very old ears:confused:

I had a love/hate affair with NS1000's for a few years before I finally gave up. Their Jeckll and Hyde nature has been documented many times. With the right gear feeding them and good recordings no doubt they can sound amazing. In the end you end up cherry picking stuff so your ears don't bleed.

I have a friend in Hamburg who is a total NS nut - NS1000's, 2000's and the rare FX3 - essentially the same drivers in a bigger reflex box.

Their Jeckll and Hyde nature has been documented many times. With the right gear feeding them and good recordings no doubt they can sound amazing.
My NS-1000Ms are somewhat partial to class A amplification and vinyl sources. But they don't sound half bad with CD.

advertisement

Back