advertisement

Ban on petrol and diesel cars from 2030

tones

Tones deaf
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54981425

Nice idea, but is this in any way practically realisable? It's nice to set high goals, but only if you're happy to make marks higher up the wall than would otherwise have been the case. Actually clearing the wall seems cloud-cuckoo land - or is that where I'm residing?

I don't think it is particularly onerous.

The ban is for pure petrol/diesel powertrains. Petrol/diesel + some form of electric power will still be allowed as I understand it.

PHEVs are already being rolled out as it is the only way to achieve CO² limits whilst still using an ICE.

If they can produce an EV or a hybrid that:
  • Has a minimum range of 300 miles
  • Doesn't give me 40 miles on electric and then 260 miles at 20 mpg.
  • Can fully charge in the time it takes to fill up with 64 litres of DERV.
  • Doesn't have the elastic band CVT.
  • Doesn't drive like a boat.
Then they might be a bit more attractive.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54981425

Nice idea, but is this in any way practically realisable? It's nice to set high goals, but only if you're happy to make marks higher up the wall than would otherwise have been the case. Actually clearing the wall seems cloud-cuckoo land - or is that where I'm residing?

It's even better to set targets that you won't be held to and shift the attention away from things that you are currently cocking up.

I'd be more impressed if they were announcing plans to get the oldest, dirtiest vehicles off the road with incentives - something they can so without delay, instead of just being focussed on stopping production of the most efficient and clean vehicles there have ever been.

If they can produce an EV that:

- Doesn't make me a victim of 1984. Meaning the manufacturer/govermnent/far east state doesn't keep checking where/how/what I'm driving. Won't happen. Sad, as I dreamt of having a EV since the sixties.

Be even better when they start charging by the mile to use the roads to make up the huge shortfall in tax revenue.

I don't think it is particularly onerous.

The ban is for pure petrol/diesel powertrains. Petrol/diesel + some form of electric power will still be allowed as I understand it.

PHEVs are already being rolled out as it is the only way to achieve CO² limits whilst still using an ICE.
Hybrids will be banned in 2035.

Does this mean all petrol and diesel cars must be off the road by 2030 or is it just production?

Apologies for being slow (I know I’m not a petrolhead - I don’t sit in the driver’s seat permanently grinning, so I fail the test), but what is the attraction of a car that drives like a boat?

Handy when going through fords? (Or even fjords).

advertisement

Back