advertisement

Interconnect question

Wonky1969

pfm Member
Just a quick question,i know that if you have different length speaker cable,the sound will be un-balanced.
Does the same rule apply to interconnect cables,specifically xlr's,as I have a 1.5 metre pair that I need one side to be 3.5 metres long,so can I move my left hand active speaker further away.
Thanks in advance.

Just a quick question,i know that if you have different length speaker cable,the sound will be un-balanced.

You must have amazing hearing (in most cases).

That apart, why would anyone use or buy different length cables? A coil or two here and there to take up slack is nowt except for the obsessively tidy.

Does the same rule apply to interconnect cables,specifically xlr's,as I have a 1.5 metre pair that I need one side to be 3.5 metres long,so can I move my left hand active speaker further away.
Thanks in advance.

No it won't... not unless you do something like use 2m for one and 20m for the other anyway.

Just use 2 of 3.5m interconnects. Jobs a gud 'n.

Yes,i am blessed with very accute hearing.the xlr's in question are supra sword,and to get a 3 .5metre pair would be over £1000,so cost prohibitive,i have active speakers which need an xlr input and am moving the hi-fi rack from between the speakers to one side,hence the need for a longer cable on one side.

Has anyone here tried anything similar and could you hear an balanced output?

If you want to use fancy cables, which is fine by me, a) buy them second hand so someone else can take the financial hit, and b) never even remotely consider a pair of mismatched length as they’ll have zero resale value!

PS Buy cables right second hand and they are free. They lose about 50-60% of retail price leaving the shop, but don’t drop any below that, as such they can be viewed as a returnable investment. I’d argue they were usually far cheaper to own than building your own when viewed long-term.

In the early 90's I had one speaker cable which needed to be 5 metres longer,and when sat in a central seated position,i could hear a drop in volume on the longer cable,so I got two cables at the longer length,and problem was solved,thats my experience and why I posted the initial question,if I did the same with interconnects would there be a reduction in SQ.
I certainly didn't want to start a heated debate,just a question from a newish poster

If the interconnects are single-ended then the sound will be unbalanced.

Sorry, couldn't resist! :p
Ever since I tried one of these, everything else sounds unhinged.
31TRMP%2BxRjL._AC_.jpg

Yes,i am blessed with very accute hearing.the xlr's in question are supra sword,and to get a 3 .5metre pair would be over £1000,so cost prohibiti's ve,i have active speakers which need an xlr input and am moving the hi-fi rack from between the speakers to one side,hence the need for a longer cable on one side.

Has anyone here tried anything similar and could you hear an balanced output?

Yes pre-amp to active speakers, XLR's but being a tight Geordie only used reasonable cable from Studiospares. Couldn't hear any difference when last year I made the two cables the same length, probably have cloth ears. I can't imagine justifying over £1000 for interconnects, if anything would put such sums towards a replacement pre-amp:rolleyes:
PS To me one of the benefits of xlr's into active speakers is the very fact that xlr' cables are just not sensitive to varying lengths. I don't think your experience with speaker cables is particularly relevant, a very different set of variables.

Yes pre-amp to active speakers, XLR's but being a tight Geordie only used reasonable cable from Studiospares. Couldn't hear any difference when last year I made the two cables the same length, probably have cloth ears. I can't imagine justifying over £1000 for interconnects, if anything would put such sums towards a replacement pre-amp:rolleyes:
PS To me one of the benefits of xlr's into active speakers is the very fact that xlr' cables are just not sensitive to varying lengths. I don't think your experience with speaker cables is particularly relevant, a very different set of variables.

Thanks for your input,regarding the xlr not being sensitive to length,so a pair with different lengths shouldn't make a difference to SQ?

I have been using perfectly ordinary interconnect cables for years and just enjoy listening to the music.
Not laying awake at night wondering if I have the right ones...

advertisement

Back