advertisement

Neil Young Archives Volume 2

mikechadwick

pfm Member
Has anyone pre-ordered this? Got to be honest - i forgot all about it and was only reminded when I saw the cover of the new issue of Uncut. Needless to say, limited edition of 3000 has now sold out :eek:

I thought the price was excessive for what you were going to receive and represented poor value for money. It is now going to receive a cutdown "retail offering" release on March 5 2021 and the US price is USD159.98 on Amazon. There will be a repress of the original from The Greedy Hand (ha ha) website released on the same day. More information here:

https://theseconddisc.com/

$100 version of gold rush out in 2021
Se-111311_m.jpg

fter The Gold Rush is pressed 180g Vinyl
· Exclusive 7” single with two versions of the album outtake “Wonderin’” (one previously unreleased)
The unreleased version was recorded on August 5 1969 at Sunset Sound in Hollywood, CA. This 7” single will not be released outside of this box
· Included in the box is a 12 x 12 lithograph of the iconic album cover
· The artwork for the album is updated for the 50th Anniversary Edition:

Neil certainly knows how to make a buck. I won't be getting it but I'll no doubt buy all the individual live albums from it when they're released.

After wading through the whole of the last one before I realised it was stuffed with music I already had, I ripped this one straight to the computer and playlisted the previously unreleased stuff before listening to any of it. There's 3 CDs of previously unreleased studio cuts and one of live cuts buried in this one, excluding the standalone NYA releases it comes bundled with and most purchasers will probably already have - which is better than the couple of CD's of unreleased studio stuff buried in the last set.

Highlights for me so far are the unreleased cuts from the Zuma sessions, the unreleased live and studio cuts with the Stray Gators from around the time of Time Fades away (Their full band version of Last Trip to Tulsa is a funky disorganised riot) and the live Crazy Horse cuts from the '76 Japanese Tour - of which I'd have liked a whole album (with 'Country Home', which is missing here), TBH.

But, it's Neil Young from '72-'76, so it's all fantastic, frankly - just another massive rip off. I'm tempted to suggest Daryl Hannah is high maintenance, but the artist profit on 3000 copies of this wouldn't buy you a bungalow in Medway. So it's just Neil Young being baffling again.

$100 version of gold rush out in 2021
Se-111311_m.jpg

fter The Gold Rush is pressed 180g Vinyl
· Exclusive 7” single with two versions of the album outtake “Wonderin’” (one previously unreleased)
The unreleased version was recorded on August 5 1969 at Sunset Sound in Hollywood, CA. This 7” single will not be released outside of this box
· Included in the box is a 12 x 12 lithograph of the iconic album cover
· The artwork for the album is updated for the 50th Anniversary Edition:

Or there's this:

tumblr_pqxndsk3RN1rxytzu_500.jpg

After wading through the whole of the last one before I realised it was stuffed with music I already had, I ripped this one straight to the computer and playlisted the previously unreleased stuff before listening to any of it. There's 3 CDs of previously unreleased studio cuts and one of live cuts buried in this one, excluding the standalone NYA releases it comes bundled with and most purchasers will probably already have - which is better than the couple of CD's of unreleased studio stuff buried in the last set.

Highlights for me so far are the unreleased cuts from the Zuma sessions, the unreleased live and studio cuts with the Stray Gators from around the time of Time Fades away (Their full band version of Last Trip to Tulsa is a funky disorganised riot) and the live Crazy Horse cuts from the '76 Japanese Tour - of which I'd have liked a whole album (with 'Country Home', which is missing here), TBH.

But, it's Neil Young from '72-'76, so it's all fantastic, frankly - just another massive rip off. I'm tempted to suggest Daryl Hannah is high maintenance, but the artist profit on 3000 copies of this wouldn't buy you a bungalow in Medway. So it's just Neil Young being baffling again.

I've pre-ordered the "retail" pack - saves some cash but misses the book. Enjoyed streaming the albums from the Archives site though - there's some great stuff there.

I've pre-ordered the "retail" pack - saves some cash but misses the book. Enjoyed streaming the albums from the Archives site though - there's some great stuff there.
Unfortunately, the NY archives site is too much for my rural 2 MBit/s broadband and I let my subs lapse a couple of years ago.

Neil and I have had an odd relationship over the years. I first came to know him via schoolmates with copies of After the Gold Rush and Harvest. I was more of a prog/Zappa/jazz head and thought those two albums were OK and Not OK respectively. I thought he was a bit wimpy on a BBC TV solo concert appearance. Then I was aware of him being somewhat messed up with albums being delayed or pulled all over the place. Next I heard Cortez and Hurricane and suddenly I was interested, just in time for him to go wimpy on me again. I was now a passenger on the roller-coaster.

But in the last couple of years I’ve grown to love the music from the Ditch period (or A-level period as I call it) and marvel at how he pulled himself back from what must have been a close call. So I’m very tempted by this. The book would be nice too, but as it seems effectively to cost the thick end of £100 I think I can pass.

Last edited:
The retail box is currently just over £100 at Bezos World and is proving almost irresistible.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I recently made a modest investment on the Homegrown CD, I can see why it wasn’t released first time round. It is ok but the spoken word piece in the middle is unlistenable.

Since he has sold part of his catalogue to ‘the man’ expect to get royally fleeced in the future.

I recently made a modest investment on the Homegrown CD, I can see why it wasn’t released first time round. It is ok but the spoken word piece in the middle is unlistenable.

Since he has sold part of his catalogue to ‘the man’ expect to get royally fleeced in the future.

Homegrown is brilliant apart from that 3 minutes of Neil out his tits talking utter nonsense.

Anyone bought the Way Down in the Rust Bucket album yet?

I'm waiting on the postman bringing it, I see he's got another one out as well, Young Shakespeare. You would think he needed the money.

Homegrown is brilliant apart from that 3 minutes of Neil out his tits talking utter nonsense.

Which the sharp eyed may have noticed is the same nonsense printed on the insert for tonight's the night. I think it adds a bit of texture to the record, personally.

If you buy records by people as epically stoned as Neil Young, you have to take the rough with the smooth. He's totally baked for all of Hitchhiker and that's mesmerising.

Just succumbed to the River deal for the Retail box set. I had resisted buying Tuscaloosa Homegrown etc so I had a limited number of double ups - which reduces the feeling of being fleeced. Although there is a spat between NY and Tidal over their so called Master quality - which means hardly any of his stuff is currently available there to stream. So buying the physical media makes some sense for me.

Turning to the set itself the booklet is pretty peremptory as compared with eg Bob Dylan’s offical bootleg stuff - but it does contain all personnel and recording details. There is also what seems to me a pointless poster thing which lists the tracks in a fake filing cabinet set up.

Leafing through the info in the booklet I was struck by how many of his early collaborators have predeceased him - but I guess he may have been the young buck seeking more experienced sidekicks like Jack Nitzsche and Ben Keith and producers David Briggs and Elliot Mazer.
I have a lot of listening to do in the next few days!

I remember seeing NY at the Rainbow Theatre in early 70’s being a fan of Buffalo Springfield as well. I must admit I was totally peed off with his performance rambling on between songs he played the whole of Tonight’s the night. The audience where calling out for his previous songs from BS days and his solo songs. He replied by starting to play Tonight’s the night!
I have nearly all his albums up to Weld however I haven’t felt the need to go any further.

Regards,

Martin

advertisement

Back