advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

I've been mostly behaving myself. Though a few weeks ago a rare opportunity arose. An AF Nikkor 300 2.8 VR1 in great condition at a great price. I had to make promises to my better half, raid the kitty, and buy it. I put my 300mm 2.8 AF-I in the car, went out and bought the new one, and shot a load of demonstration shots with the old lens. It sold within 3 days last week. Now to sell a couple of bags, a monopod, 50 1.4D, 20 2.8D.... to replenish the kitty, and clear some space.

50566007837_c5cb1c6134_b.jpg

My old AF-I 300 f2.8, last week.

I have a confession to make. Yesterday I purchased my first bit of photography equipment in months. A second hand Nikkor Z 50mm f1.8 S

D3S_5693-oblique.jpg

Lefty

Nikon have these on sale now so I asked Santa to pick one up for me. I was kicking myself that I didn’t pick one up last year when they were £350. I have the 35mm and am really happy with it.

Nikon have these on sale now so I asked Santa to pick one up for me. I was kicking myself that I didn’t pick one up last year when they were £350. I have the 35mm and am really happy with it.

You won't regret it. It's an astonishing lens. I sold my Sigma 35/1.4 ART because this is sharper.

I take my Canon F1 and Olympus M2s that did countless Weddings/Portrait Sessions out of the display case and wonder why I spent a fortune on all this digital, over complicated shit.
Enjoyed the Darkroom more than the actual taking. Changed days indeed when a half decent camera costs buttons and a half decent lens is the price of a half decent car.

Does a swap count? I traded two lenses that I kinda used for one that I hope to use more.

Since the lockdown started I’ve managed to buy the odd item -
Nikon AF-S 500mm f/4G VR
Nikon AF-S 500mm f/5.6E PF
Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8FL E
Nikon AF-S 24-70 f/2.8 VR

Nikon D5
Nikon D4s
Nikon Z6
Nikon F5
Nikon F100
Nikon F3HP
Nikon FM
Nikon FE

Glad I started back work.

Since the lockdown started I’ve managed to buy the odd item -
Nikon AF-S 500mm f/4G VR
Nikon AF-S 500mm f/5.6E PF
Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8FL E
Nikon AF-S 24-70 f/2.8 VR

Nikon D5
Nikon D4s
Nikon Z6
Nikon F5
Nikon F100
Nikon F3HP
Nikon FM
Nikon FE

Glad I started back work.

You win!

I have been tempted by the 70-200 FL E myself. Although it would make more sense to get the Z version 70-200. Shame it's so hard to get hold of (and expensive!)

I've also been tempted by the 14-30 which is currently on offer at £919. Although I very rarely shoot ultrawide these days...

Probably a new pair of walking boots and some extra pairs of waterproof trousers would be the better investment for me!

Lefty

You win!

I have been tempted by the 70-200 FL E myself. Although it would make more sense to get the Z version 70-200. Shame it's so hard to get hold of (and expensive!)

I've also been tempted by the 14-30 which is currently on offer at £919. Although I very rarely shoot ultrawide these days...

Probably a new pair of walking boots and some extra pairs of waterproof trousers would be the better investment for me!

Lefty

I’ve bought the Z6 purely for video as I’m not fully 100% behind mirrorless yet as non of Nikon’s offerings can do things my D5 and D850 can do but I’m sure next year a true pro spec mirrorless will be available. If I went for the Z version I’d limit it to just one camera whereas the FL fits everything.
I’d actually missed off the 14-24 f/2.8 I’d bought but yes there aren’t many times you go to 14mm but I’ll try it for some astrophotography soon.

You win!

Lefty

I jumped and bought one when the price came down.... But a week later still haven't managed to get out to use it.... Stuck between work, crappy weather, and early darkness.

I acquired the z 24-200 a couple of months ago via Panamoz... It still has not been released in the UK. It's a magnificent lens, quality is superb and could be the only lens many people ever need. It's also very compact, barely any bigger than the 24-70/4 which is now redundant for me. Most of my shots in Highlands in September were taken with it.

I'll probably sell the Samyang 14/2.8 shortly.... It's opened new vistas for me for sure... But the 14-30/4 is smaller, lighter, and has auto focus.

I'm also finding that the 24/2.8 D is not working so well on the FTZ adapter as it did on my D600. But seriously, the 24-200 is so good that I can live without it.

Got a wee MF camera inside

9LR5n61h.jpg

Oh good, another GA645 user. I love mine. You'll probably spend a while trying to work out how to manually focus it, and turn off all the automatic features - this is a mistake. What you want to do is use it as a point and shoot (stick it in P mode), and just let the camera make decisions for you. The 'recording speed/aperture on the film' thing is handy, and since it uses the space below the image it doesn't interfere with the image area at all, which is great.

Oh good, another GA645 user. I love mine. You'll probably spend a while trying to work out how to manually focus it, and turn off all the automatic features - this is a mistake. What you want to do is use it as a point and shoot (stick it in P mode), and just let the camera make decisions for you. The 'recording speed/aperture on the film' thing is handy, and since it uses the space below the image it doesn't interfere with the image area at all, which is great.

Yes P or A for me, I’ve set up the data recording, hopefully get to use it this weekend!

Over the years I've bought too many lenses and photographic things. Although they've almost always been secondhand, I figured I shouldn't buy anything unless I sell or trade something else — maybe two something elses. Gone are my old manual focus 55mm f/1.2 and 85mm f/1.8, lenses I've had for a couple of decades. In is a used 85mm f/1.4 AI-S from 1981.

Man, it's beautifully made — the lens has brick shithouse–like construction with a silky-smooth focus ring. If the 85mm f/1.4 AI-S were new and if Leica made it, I'd likely need to take out a second mortgage to buy it. But it was *almost* a swap.

e55b5b7524d2e0c8424bf61ab9d6dd51.jpg

Joe

advertisement

Back