advertisement

God ! I hate this obsession !

Sadly no one system plays all recordings to the same enjoyment level and you get used to knowing that a particular bands albums are poorly produced. As what others have said, reach a level where you are happy and stick with it. Throw away those upgrade itches. Unless of course you own any Naim where it’s brain washed into you that a new power supply will always make it the best of the best of the best with honours sir :D:D:D:D

I don’t think I’ve ever let my system dictate what I listen to even though certain recordings will never sound great.
Some records especially Reggae, pressed in Jamaica from the 60's, 70's and 80's of which I own a lot is rendered unlistenable on some systems and on that same system a beautifully pressed Blue Note original can sound incredible in those circumstances it isn't much of choice.

Sadly no one system plays all recordings to the same enjoyment level and you get used to knowing that a particular bands albums are poorly produced. As what others have said, reach a level where you are happy and stick with it. Throw away those upgrade itches. Unless of course you own any Naim where it’s brain washed into you that a new power supply will always make it the best of the best of the best with honours sir :D:D:D:D
The biggest jump in sound quality I've ever heard on one system was when I added a Naim Supercap to an 82/250 amp unfortunately it didn't sound so good with every recording so eventually it had to go. I'm by no means a Naim fan boy and do not own any now but they've made some exceptional amplifiers in the past.

Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately !) my best hi-fi gears that allows me to listen to all of my music including the poor recordings of Joe Jackson are the amps from the 80’s such as Naim NAP 160, Sugden and some big black boxes from Exposure.
My favorite music is from the 70’s and 80’s...........I wander if the years of the recordings have to match with the year of fabrication of the amps ???!!! :eek:

What the hell to do with an amplifier that makes some tracks absolutely sublime and others absolutely sh*t, depending on the quality of the recording ?

I've never ever heard such a transformation in the sound and presentation as when I recently installed a Primare A60 in the chain. It's sublime and absolutely sh*t all at the same time, depending on the recording. I'm not sure I can live with it. :( But then, I'm not sure I can live without it. :rolleyes: (That's HiFi hyperbole.)

(Primare BD32 disc player; Gyrodec and Primare R30 phono stage; Primare Pre32 with MM30 card; Primare A60 power amp; EWA LS25 speaker cable; ESL63s)

You could try a preamp that is less "transparent" / lower-fi.

If you don't listen loud Tivoli Audio all-in-ones might be worth a listen: https://tivoliaudio.co.uk

Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately !) my best hi-fi gears that allows me to listen to all of my music including the poor recordings of Joe Jackson are the amps from the 80’s such as Naim NAP 160, Sugden and some big black boxes from Exposure.
My favorite music is from the 70’s and 80’s...........I wander if the years of the recordings have to match with the year of fabrication of the amps ???!!! :eek:
Poor recording from Joe Jackson? Always found his records to sound really good

JJ has done some great quality recordings, but "Laughter and Lust", "Blaze of Glory" and to some extent "Big World" are poor. Shame because there are some great songs on these albums.

My first rule of hifi (which, needless to say, I've often broken): once you've got a system you're happy with, stop buying hifi mags, reading online reviews, and frequenting hifi forums.

My first rule of hi-fi is even less lenient:

Never buy hifi mags or read online reviews, and beware of frequenting hifi forums (they're just as likely to trigger insecurity and consumerism or lead astray).

I hope the o/p won’t mind my extending this thread a bit.
I have a similar unsolvable dilemma. I have two nice amps; each suit my system acceptably well. A Linn Klimax Twin and a Lejonklou Tundra 2.0.. Driving KEF LS50s on Solidsteel stands, sourced by a Linn KDS.
The problem is that I use one amp for a month. Then I get curious and try the other amp. Each change there is the "wow!" factor. I just live with the fact that I have to keep them both.
My conclusion is that every component has faults and that every so often the ear enjoys a change of shortcomings.
Which would you keep?

Try finding out what you dislike about each and look for an amplifier which is a compromise...

But it sounds as though you are spending too much time listening to your hi-fi instead of listening to music.

I hope the o/p won’t mind my extending this thread a bit.
I have a similar unsolvable dilemma. I have two nice amps; each suit my system acceptably well. A Linn Klimax Twin and a Lejonklou Tundra 2.0.. Driving KEF LS50s on Solidsteel stands, sourced by a Linn KDS.
The problem is that I use one amp for a month. Then I get curious and try the other amp. Each change there is the "wow!" factor. I just live with the fact that I have to keep them both.
My conclusion is that every component has faults and that every so often the ear enjoys a change of shortcomings.
Which would you keep?

Both of course.

Good luck stay safe.

I enjoy listening to all types of music but opera not , madam butterfly is fine. The worst recording in my collection is the Strokes always feel disappointed when I give it a listen. Shame as I get the music some right good tunes in there, it's got a distortion kind of production to my ears. Always feel Carole King Tapestry is an album with a disappointing sound yet it is packed with great songs. In the whole I'm still delighted with my system which is 7 years old now.

The biggest jump in sound quality I've ever heard on one system was when I added a Naim Supercap to an 82/250 amp unfortunately it didn't sound so good with every recording so eventually it had to go. I'm by no means a Naim fan boy and do not own any now but they've made some exceptional amplifiers in the past.

I wasn’t having a dig at Naim or their owners, I am actually a Naim user with my XS2 and I’ve owned many of their wonderful amps in the past but I hope one day they will introduce something that doesn’t need an upgrade and it’s bang on perfect from the off.

In that case, I'm surprised that some of the tracks are not very well recorded. Maybe they compressed it to hell for the compilation?

advertisement

Back