advertisement

Exposure 2510 Integrated Amplifier

samz

pfm Member
Anyone demoed this amplifier, I’ve not read any reviews yet as it might be a recent introduction to the range.
How does it compare to the 2010S and more expensive 3010S2D. Also there’s the XM5 to consider too.

I read somewhere (so not first hand experience) that the XM5 is more or less the 2010s with a stepped down powersupply to make it all happen in that small box.
No idea where the 2510 comes in. I'de go for the 3010s2d, if funds are limited then s/h. It's a great amp.

The 2510 is an updated and improved 2010 - the 2010 according to Exposure's website is no longer available.

The 2510 also comes with an MM phono stage as standard.

And the omission of one set of speaker terminals. No idea of any other changes over the 2010S2D, I assume it still uses passive pre-amp design. Whatever, it's an Exposure, so it'll be fab. Having said that, the robust rise in price over the 2010 takes it very close to the mighty 3010S2D.

I talked to a salesman of an hi-fi shop and he told me the XM5 is purposely made on a small size version to compete against the old Naim shoebox Nait and some Rega amps but not as good sounding as their other series of normal size.
Never heard them though.

And the omission of one set of speaker terminals. No idea of any other changes over the 2010S2D, I assume it still uses passive pre-amp design. Whatever, it's an Exposure, so it'll be fab. Having said that, the robust rise in price over the 2010 takes it very close to the mighty 3010S2D.

There are two 3010S2Ds on eBay right now, one of them is less than half the current list price.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=174499592434

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=303746407290

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I may look out for a used 2010S2 as I’ve not tried an Exposure amplifier before.
I’ve had and sold on a naim 150x/122x
Apart from that I’ve had Denon, NAD, Marantz, Sansui amplifiers over the years. I currently use a Heed Obelisk Mk2 which has bettered the others I have tried.
A 2010S would provide more power than the others I’ve tried, and would like to see if it drives a second pair of stand mounts that I have better than other amplifiers I have tried.
Does the 2010S2 share similar characteristics to the 3010S2 but with less power ?
Any comparisons between the Exposure amplifiers mentioned a Rega Elicit R ?
Many thanks

I am currently trying the 2510 and I absolutely love it. The sound is detailed and beautiful and it has a great phono stage. It makes you want to listen to all of your music from scratch. The only minusses I can find at the moment that it is perhaps a bit too much for my livingroom (my Paradigm monitor 9 speakers LOVE it, but my neighbours may not, 'quarter to nine' is the max for the volume button for me), and the bass can be a bit 'much'. The song 'Wish I Didn't Miss You' from Angie Stone's 'Mahonay Soul' album has a bass line that deeply purr's into your ears when it goes really low. I will try moving my speakers. Maybe that will help. Maybe I am just too close to the speakers right now.
I read a review of someone describing the sound as 'beefy' and I think that is a nice way of putting it. I tried the Rega Elex-R last week, and compared to the 2510 the Elex-R is 'light' and less detailed. But ofcourse this amp is almost 1.5 times as expensive as the Elex-R. Next week I'll try the Elicit-R.

I am currently trying the 2510 and I absolutely love it. The sound is detailed and beautiful and it has a great phono stage. It makes you want to listen to all of your music from scratch. The only minusses I can find at the moment that it is perhaps a bit too much for my livingroom (my Paradigm monitor 9 speakers LOVE it, but my neighbours may not, 'quarter to nine' is the max for the volume button for me), and the bass can be a bit 'much'. The song 'Wish I Didn't Miss You' from Angie Stone's 'Mahonay Soul' album has a bass line that deeply purr's into your ears when it goes really low. I will try moving my speakers. Maybe that will help. Maybe I am just too close to the speakers right now.
I read a review of someone describing the sound as 'beefy' and I think that is a nice way of putting it. I tried the Rega Elex-R last week, and compared to the 2510 the Elex-R is 'light' and less detailed. But ofcourse this amp is almost 1.5 times as expensive as the Elex-R. Next week I'll try the Elicit-R.
Rather than moving the speakers further away from you, you may need to move them further away from the wall... or indeed yourself further away from the wall (if practical).

:) They are almost 1 meter from the wall. That should be enough. I tried to put them in a different spot in the room but didn't like it. This amp is just rather powerful. I now use it with the volume on 37 minutes' (aboutish) and that is sufficient.

I haven't heard the 2510 but i recently upgraded from a rega Elex-r to the 3010S2D. Its such a different amp. Bass goes much deeper, my speakers sound incredibly quick and I find its vocals much more forgiving, as with the Elex-r female voices could sound a bit shrill but not with the exposure. My speakers are neat momentum sx3i which are isobaric and can generate a lot of bass, interestingly i can have them closer to the wall now than I could with the Elex-r, as the amp seems to control any bass boom much better. Its an excellent amp and the MM phono stage is also excellent.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back