advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

Glad you're OK. Ambulance here is $1k minimum, so I'd rather they not show up unless I'm at death's door.

True, but you get to go ahead of all those in the emergency room that came in on their own. If you're in a lot of pain, it's worth it.

Last Sunday's ride came to an abrupt end at Notting Hill in a collision with a van. Reaching the top of the hill from Holland Park with the lights ahead turning green and road ahead apparently clear, the bus in the lane to my right apparently flashed him to go ahead and turn across the traffic. Suddenly appeared a couple of metres ahead of me, tried to brake and steer round but no time or space and went into the side of it and down. Started to get up but my back was so sore decided to lie there for a bit. Some passers by tried calling an ambulance but were told it would take a long time - so the guys in the van took me to St Mary's and then dropped my bike off at home whilst I was there. Have come off pretty lightly - dislocation and small fracture of the tip my right ring finger, grazing and bruising on my shoulder that I wasn't even aware of for a couple of hours - but it's my lower back that's the most painful - they reckon the injury there was just muscular. Sit or lie in one position too long and it's murder to get up. Lucky escape though. Finger splint is a pita though , keeps getting caught on things and can't hold a pen or spoon properly or tie laces. Did manage to cycle down to the dentist on the other bike this morning without too much trouble.

Man, that sounds like a belter, glad you're fundamentally okay!

I’ve been getting back out again post hip replacement. A couple of 40+ mile rides this week but I am massively down on energy & power.

Great to be back out but feels like a long road ahead to be my old self.
Well, I m not surprised you down on energy and power having just had a hip replacement !. Thats a massive ask doing a 40 mile bike ride in my book
but fair play to you for taking it on. Hope everything proceeds well

Well, I m not surprised you down on energy and power having just had a hip replacement !. Thats a massive ask doing a 40 mile bike ride in my book
but fair play to you for taking it on. Hope everything proceeds well
Yes, it’s a tricky one. I am trying to get back initially to where I was with the dodgy hip & then hopefully before the whole mess started.

I think the invasive nature of the op has taken a higher toll than I thought.

Very wet club ride today, torrential rain after about an hour. Drenched in the flooded lanes. Currently we are allowed to ride in groups of 6. Looks like that will change as of Thursday. Give me getting soaked any day over not being able to ride with others.

Managed a just over one hour clear window yesterday to get 20 miles in & 47 today which is the longest I’ve managed post op. There was a 10-15 minute spell where I felt like my old self; some tough weeks ahead.

For some reason I’m finding it more difficult to do longer rides at the moment. I’m not going to get too concerned about it, as I feel healthy enough. Colder weather doesn’t help, maybe?
On a positive note, proper gloves, fleece lined bib tights and winter socks make 0°C rides perfectly acceptable.

Suffolk lane

COVID rules and a temporary dip in workload meant an early knock off from work today, so a ride in the beautiful winter sun beckoned. 25 miles with a short stop in Lavenham, and a hard push for the final five miles or so. Love it.

Always tougher riding in winter. More layers, cold air & less daylight.

I’ve managed 3 back to back rides of 40 miles or so, starting to feel a bit more like myself. Weather on Saturday looks rubbish so will force myself out for 30 or so miles tomorrow, definitely due a rest day.

I was just thinking this is perfect for cycling, well, as long as the wet stuff stays dry. Cool temps and you can push without getting sweaty, or barely sweaty. The loss of daylight isn't good but as long as it's dry, 10 degrees or so is perfect.

I was just thinking this is perfect for cycling, well, as long as the wet stuff stays dry. Cool temps and you can push without getting sweaty, or barely sweaty. The loss of daylight isn't good but as long as it's dry, 10 degrees or so is perfect.

Doesn't seem to matter how cold it is, I always sweat. But I do "run hot", or as my old man used to say "your thermostat's broke".

Although to be fair it doesn't really matter as I haven't been near the bike since July.

As someone who has rode a pretty sporty hybrid bmc ( alpenchallenge ) bike in an overcoat before I will not laugh at the less brave out there lol... sorry I just did.
Looking forward to getting my cycle Helmet back on properly again after having a massive cyst removed from my head this week. Biggest the surgeon had worked on
apparently..... Lastly getting many punctures this year with Vittoria Zaffironia ? tyres ( condor single speed bike ) anyone had the same problem ?

As someone who has rode a pretty sporty hybrid bmc ( alpenchallenge ) bike in an overcoat before I will not laugh at the less brave out there lol... sorry I just did.
Looking forward to getting my cycle Helmet back on properly again after having a massive cyst removed from my head this week. Biggest the surgeon had worked on
apparently..... Lastly getting many punctures this year with Vittoria Zaffironia ? tyres ( condor single speed bike ) anyone had the same problem ?
Vittoria tyres are generally crap. Michelin Pro4 endurance are good.

Continental gator skin on the rear for winter- or equivalent.
Plus mudguards And a front mud flap- cycling with road spray up your arse is not fun and not good for the bike. Add a rear mud flap if you plan on group rides.

Continental gator skin on the rear for winter- or equivalent.
Plus mudguards And a front mud flap- cycling with road spray up your arse is not fun and not good for the bike. Add a rear mud flap if you plan on group rides.
This is 100% correct although some don’t like Gators; I have them on my WB.

advertisement

Back