advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Millennium bug was entirely different, I made good money out of that!
Yes..not really comparable. Bit none of my devices melted so I assume a lot of other systems would not have needed the money spending on them. But spend people did, as you were witness to.

Yes..not really comparable. Bit none of my devices melted so I assume a lot of other systems would not have needed the money spending on them. But spend people did, as you were witness to.

I saw a piece of computer controlled test equipment crash at an approvals house if you put a date past jan 31st 1999.

I heard someone on one one of the news programs (Sky or C4, can’t remember) that they are being readied. As I understand it the problem the last time wasn’t necessarily the hardware, but finding the trained and qualified staff to run it. You can’t just buy bed capacity and ventilators, you need the expertise too. The NHS has been understaffed for decades, hence at the last peak the attempts made to re-recruit older doctors & nurses who had retired, and were obviously in a higher risk category themselves. More so given the government’s total failure/dodgy money laundering approach to providing safe PPE.
Yup, I read that any hospitals referring to the Nightingale units will have to supply their own staff. I'd be happy to be proved wrong on that.

Excepting that every time someone holds up a particular country as a shining example, two weeks later they're as big of a shambles as the rest of us.

Everyone was pointing at Germany, now it turns out they're just in the same shit as the rest of us. I'm sure there will be another magic country in the news tomorrow that has managed to beat it...

Germany is at half the UK level and has just closed bars and restaurants - not quite in the same level of shit as the UK

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Saw CH4 News last night where a Prof of Epidemiology from Imperial suggested the current number of daily cases was just under 100,000 with it likely to hit just under a 1,000,000 each day by December unless greater measures introduced

I don't buy the millennium bug argument at all.

in what way?

I can tell you it was a thing that could have caused chaos.

I, and many colleagues, spent many hours testing systems and rewriting code.

I made nothing from it as my systems were part of my job. If I hadn’t done it, none of my software connected to my analytical equipment would have worked properly in the turnover.

The people who say ‘why did we spend money on it when it never happened’ really just don’t understand the problems involved.

Stephen

I was the local Y2K co-ordinator for the multinational company I worked for at the time. We spent in excess of 500 Million Euro globally preparing for it, the headline put out later was that is was a very worthwhile exercise and we learnt a great deal from the process. I gave up a great deal of time and missed all millenium celebrations with my family. Little happened on the day, though the IT were outsourced within 12 months, perhaps coincidentally?

The problem with the Y2K situation was that, unless you’d written the code or it was well documented, you’d no idea where the problems might be. It had to be done.

The press didn’t help, as usual.

Surely ‘little happened on the day’ because of the mitigation undertaken. That’s my point!

I was lucky as I could take my systems off line easily, model the date turnover and address each issue as it occurred. I’d written the code-but was still tripped up unexpectedly.

Stephen

Excepting that every time someone holds up a particular country as a shining example, two weeks later they're as big of a shambles as the rest of us.

Everyone was pointing at Germany, now it turns out they're just in the same shit as the rest of us. I'm sure there will be another magic country in the news tomorrow that has managed to beat it...

Yes Europe has been a victim of its own complacency, but some countries elsewhere in the world are doing very well. I hate to use them as an example as data from China is very rarely completely reliable, but the way they act to shut down outbreaks in regions is impressive, New Zealand too.... a handful of cases and a massive regional lockdown and test/trace until its snuffed out. South Korea's test and trace system has kept the death toll below 500... there are examples of how it can work, but we don't have the leadership right now to bring the nation together and take the right decisions. Sadly history is going to show how the UK was one of the worst hit in the pandemic through its government's lack of understanding, governance, its greed and willingness to line the pockets of its friends and its repeated refusal to listen to science, but at least we can be a shining example to the rest of the world of what not to do in a pandemic!

Treasury spokesperson said: "We do not recognise these figures - which as the study itself admits, are 'back-of-the-envelope' calculations.

"Many other European counterparts have experienced an uptick in cases - irrespective of whether similar measures for the hospitality industry have been introduced.

I think the treasury’s right about other European countries. “Back of an envelope” is not very helpful IMO.

in what way?

I can tell you it was a thing that could have caused chaos.

I, and many colleagues, spent many hours testing systems and rewriting code.

I made nothing from it as my systems were part of my job. If I hadn’t done it, none of my software connected to my analytical equipment would have worked properly in the turnover.

The people who say ‘why did we spend money on it when it never happened’ really just don’t understand the problems involved.

Stephen
Agreed. Infuriating to still see Ill-informed comments about this. It’s directly analogous to idiots saying that 250K people didn’t die of CV19, so it was all a false alarm.

Maybe next millennium we shouldn’t bother.

Last edited:
If you look at the detail though it is a bit of straw man. 4% of infections are traced back to hospitality, the same as hospitals. I had no hesitation in attending hospital for pre-op, op & post op.

The main drivers are schools & workplace.

I am not really sure how I feel about ‘eat out to help out’, it definitely helped my business area but otherwise I am on the fence.

It’s also really hard to trace the source of infections, our lives are a very complicated Venn diagram, loads of crossover.

Yes Europe has been a victim of its own complacency, but some countries elsewhere in the world are doing very well. I hate to use them as an example as data from China is very rarely completely reliable, but the way they act to shut down outbreaks in regions is impressive, New Zealand too.... a handful of cases and a massive regional lockdown and test/trace until its snuffed out. South Korea's test and trace system has kept the death toll below 500... there are examples of how it can work, but we don't have the leadership right now to bring the nation together and take the right decisions. Sadly history is going to show how the UK was one of the worst hit in the pandemic through its government's lack of understanding, governance, its greed and willingness to line the pockets of its friends and its repeated refusal to listen to science, but at least we can be a shining example to the rest of the world of what not to do in a pandemic!
Let’s not give China any credit whatsoever, but you are right on the other bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back