advertisement

Flat earth systems that really worked well

My first system got nicked and I used the £600 insurance money to buy a Linn Axis, K9, Nytech/Obelisk (CA102 I think) and Royd A7's. It sounded great, though my mates sounded a bit better as he had deeper pockets and Linn Kans instead. Not sure I've ever quite matched those A7's.

Both the Axis and the A7's are no more, the Nytech is in storage and soon to become part of a 2nd system. If I knew of an affordable speaker to replace those A7's I'd buy it immediately.

Jensen,
I remember back in the day my Linn dealer told me in confidence that their Linn rep told them on dems if you where sat next to a potential customer on the sofa ...start the leg tapping and arm taping.
I kid you not.
Thankfully in my (late)80s/90s Linn era I migrated over to Colin and his gang at Radford in Windsor where late Saturday afternoon’s were often an ad-hoc “have a listen to this” session and Colin would pass the dusters round to be used as blindfolds. A fairly regular thing from memory before all heading off to the pub for the early evening. Great days.

Well, uh, ok, but I thought this thread was about flat earth systems?
Well, my ears have never hurt me enough to deserve a Nait into Epos, but if we are staying FE, whatever that is, I'll have Nytech into some 2 ways. Someone earlier had Keilidhs though and they make better music. I'm keeping the Thorens though, it's so close to the LP12 that it has to be FE.

Best flat earth system I've heard?

A pals active DBL setup. Period. One of the best systems I ever heard, regardless of inclination. No, it didn't do 'sound staging'.

I my self has hade various interpretations of Linn/Naim gear. The best was probably a big olive rig ended with Royd RR3's.

I am sure loads of ‘flat earth’ systems sounded great; at the time they were among the best options out there.

Linn Keilidhs were really good speakers & would happily play music of all types.

Quite a broad range of systems in the end.

Not that it means much, but I was curious to jot up the most common elements:
  • LP12 x 14
  • Kans x 9
  • Nait x 6
  • NAC42/42.5 x 4
  • RP3 x 4
Most common setup:
  • 3 x LP12 > Nait 1/2 > Kans
Or more generally:
  • 8 x LP12 > Naim amps > Kans
Also 5 mentions for Royd speakers of various model.

But I guess this is partly due to the Nait and Kans being more affordable than something like active Briks.

Jensen,
I remember back in the day my Linn dealer told me in confidence that their Linn rep told them on dems if you where sat next to a potential customer on the sofa ...start the leg tapping and arm taping.
I kid you not.

It's still going on BTW as 3 years ago I went to a Naim Statement evening at a venue and the guy giving the talk with first lower priced 500 series components and finally Statement..on touching his streaming device
immediately started slowly moving his head back and forth as if in a trance and the guys in my aisle where taping their legs and also taping their fingers...You have got to feel that PRAT.
Statement sounded nothing special to my ears maybe it was the Focal speakers but heard a pair of Magneplanner 20.1's - Trilogy preamp and Trilogy monoblocks at the Windsor HIFI Show the following year and it blew the Naim Statement out of the water at a system cost way less than that Statement system.Maybe £ 90 000 as opposed to £ 400 000 !! IMHO.
Gaffer tape?

There's still beeing people thinking the earth is flat.

In the old days they dared not to go out at nights, afraid of reaching the edge border and falling..

They voted for Trump and are now taking over the whole world.

LP12/Ittok/AT OC 7 and 9/NAC 72/HiCap/NAP 250/Linn Kabers, marked my flat earth high water line. True believers were aghast over the AT carts, but I liked them!
That's very flat. To be fair the AT carts aren't much of a deviation, Linn carts were all AT based. Depending on who you ask, they were improved special editions, including dedicated stylus profiles, made by AT or they were badged up items knocked up from the AT parts bin.

I think that The Royd Coniston R was a fantastic loudspeaker. I was running SBLs and they had to go back for a service of some kind and the Dealer brought round a pair of the Royds for me to use until the Naim's came back. They sounded so good, that I could have lived with them tbh.

I find that my "flat earth " system works best without any of the Linn bits.

First to go was the Kans in favour of SBL's and much later the LP12 itself in favour of an Orbe with Graham arm. Now up to the NBL/s 6 pack!

advertisement

Back