advertisement

EHRC report into Labour

Get your money now on another Tory win in 2024, any excuse will do to keep them in govt.

It's pretty much cut & dried; it would take a miracle to get the Tories out of power now, no matter how bad they are; Johnson must be splitting his sides laughing at this point.

I see that the Naz Shah case made it in there. I think she was very silly to post what she did, but I don't think it is anti-Semitic to question Israel's treatment of Palestine and the territory they have gained illegally. Anti-Semitism is an an attack on the Jewish people, not the Jewish government.

It's pretty much cut & dried; it would take a miracle to get the Tories out of power now, no matter how bad they are; Johnson must be splitting his sides laughing at this point.

Considering that he can get super-injunctions for his stuff, doubly so.

Starmer is a lawyer. They can read and interpret stuff at a speed that is astounding (I have seen a top barrister in action in chambers, somewhat humbling even if you think you are not thick yourself!)

If he thinks that Corbyn needs to be suspended as part of this, then he must believe something pretty serious is afoot.

To clarify this a bit: it seem that the reason given (might be right, might be not) for the suspension is that JC refused to retract remarks that effectively tried to say that the report overstated the situation. In other words JC still does not see that the culture he actively participated in was inherently Anti Semitic and he continues to try and downplay it. Is he really that blind?

To clarify this a bit: it seem that the reason given (might be right, might be not) for the suspension is that JC refused to retract remarks that effectively tried to say that the report overstated the situation. In other words JC still does not see that the culture he actively participated in was inherently Anti Semitic and he continues to try and downplay it. Is he really that blind?

Yes. He's like Nelson with his telescope. If he felt the need to comment, he could have said something noncommittal like 'It's a long report, I'll need time to digest its contents'. But no. Bigmouth Strikes Again.

Keir Starmer has suspended Jermyn Corbyn from the Labour Party as I understand for his anti Jewish stance. This is no surprise at all for me because if any one including the press bothered researching Keir Starmer background they would learn he is married to a Jewish lady and has adopted the Jewish faith for his children. If anything maybe he was well primed by his Rabbi's. This fact omitted from present news reporting is astounding.....

Unfortunately, it is predictable that Keir Starmer being married to a Jewish lady would not be reported on.

Both these comments are ridiculous and have nothing to do with today’s report.

It was a brave move by Starmer to suspend Corbyn, risking as it does the wrath of the left, but in light of Corbyn's typically stubborn and idiotic response to the report's conclusions, he left the Labour leader with no choice. Corbyn should now follow his best mate Ken Livingstone out of the Labour party.

On BBC News, Very damning response by EHRC underlining the accountability of the Leader of the Opposition’s Office.

Not going to get sucked in to this thread but this is worth sharing:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1321798255685062658
The Campaign Against Antisemitism has submitted complaints about Corbyn, Abbott, Long-Bailey, Tahir Ali, Mike Amesbury, Apsana Begum, Richard Burgon, Barry Gardiner, Kate Hollern, Afzal Khan, Angela Rayner, Steve Reed, Lloyd Russell-Moyle, Barry Sheerman, Zarah Sultana & others.
Basically, any MP to the left of (e.g.) Gordon Brown is now fair game: even relatively bland figures like Rayner and Gardiner.

Starmer...If he thinks that Corbyn needs to be suspended as part of this, then he must believe something pretty serious is afoot.

I'm not so sure about that; I think he will do anything to distance himself from Corbyn. I think that the Left wing of the Labour party is dead in it's tracks now.

It is a disaster. It basically takes racism right off the table and allows the Tories to continue to adopt Trump, UKIP, BNP and EDL policy wholesale. Vile xenophobic/racist Daily Mail and Express front-pages now get a free pass forever as we have no credible opposition party. Buy five issues and get a free Clandestine Channel Commander hat or Windrush Deportation commemorative plate...

For clarity page 127 of the report defines the scope:

To assess whether the Labour Party had committed unlawful acts of discrimination, harassment, or victimisation in relation to its members, we analysed a sample of 70 complaints of antisemitism made against Labour Party members.
This sample included:

• 58 complaints chosen by us, from over 220 complaints identified in:
• submissions from the JLM and CAA
• a report by Professor Alan Johnson, ‘Institutionally Antisemitic: Contemporary Left Antisemitism and the Crisis in the British Labour Party’ (March 2019), and
• information in the public domain, and
• 12 complaints put forward by the Labour Party.44

To narrow down the sample, we excluded:

• incidents of alleged antisemitism not reported to the Labour Party
• complaints that were outside the timeframe of our terms of reference, and
• ‘member-on-member’ conduct when it was unlikely that the Labour Party
would be responsible for the conduct under the legal provisions we explain in Annex 3.

tldr; not two!
The report concludes that two of the individuals involved in the complaints it sampled broke the law. Unless you believe allegation = guilt?

Not going to get sucked in to this thread but this is worth sharing:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1321798255685062658

Basically, any MP to the left of (e.g.) Gordon Brown is now fair game: even relatively bland figures like Rayner and Gardiner.
I like Angela Rayner; she’s got balls.
But it was no easy task for her on R4 World at One to reply to the comment that both her and Starmer were members of the shadow cabinet and had not spoken out against the problem that had been identified at the time.

The burden of the two posts is that 'Starmer suspended Corbyn because his wife is Jewish. Funny how the press didn't comment on that, isn't it? (Nudge nudge, wink wink)'

That is just your misinterpretation. The point was that people are frothing at the mouths to paint Labour as an anti-Semitic party, yet their leader has a zero-tolerance approach and is married to a Jewish lady. It just doesn't stack up.

People should have stamped this out right at the time, resignations should have happened, but instead this has all been allowed to become what it has become.

advertisement

Back