advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
France has decided to lockdown, non essential retail closed, you need an "attestation" to leave the house, schools stay open including 6th form colleges (lycées), you can visit old people's homes, homeworking encouraged.
You cannot leave your departement to travel to another one either.

"Other tier three rules include:

• Fitness and dance studios, sports courts and swimming pools can also remain open, although it is "strongly advised" group indoor classes do not take place
  • Public buildings such as community centres, libraries and town halls are allowed to remain open to run activities such as childcare and support groups, but not for private hire, birthday parties and other social events
  • "Indoor entertainment and tourism venues" have to close, but cinemas, concert halls, ice rinks and theatres are not affected by the new rules"

Sounds like a big waste of time to me, and is more about being seen to be doing something rather than that something actually being useful.

Not to mention all the people travelling in and out of the area to work every day. Not a single thing will change aside from some businesses struggling even more.
Like I said a few days ago, it's a pantomime. As long as hospitals aren't overwhelmed, the government doesn't care how many people die.

And why should it? We'll soon be ticking along at a few hundred deaths per day, but news reports barely question the death toll these days, and the Conservatives continue poll at 40%+.

The Tories are masters of PR and "divide & rule" - just don't expect them to protect you.

Apologies if this has already been posted, and I'm sure this has already done the rounds in the UK, but, living in the colonies I've only recently discovered it. Yes Minister predicts UK government COVID strategy

Like I said a few days ago, it's a pantomime. As long as hospitals aren't overwhelmed, the government doesn't care how many people die.

And why should it? We'll soon be ticking along at a few hundred deaths per day, but news reports barely question the death toll these days, and the Conservatives continue poll at 40%+.

Given it is the elderly doing most of the dying I’d still have thought they were killing far more of their own voterbase than anyone else’s. By saying that the alt-right is a science/logic-free zone, just look at Trump’s ‘super-spreader’ fascist rally events.

PS FWIW I have a suspicion the Tory paymasters don’t care about about the next election and will have done their Brexit market shorting and asset-stripping by then and will be long gone. The party are certainly doing way too little to placate the ‘red wall’ areas and there is some real backlash occurring as far as I can tell. As an extreme example I read earlier that Ken Dodd and Cilla Black had their graves vandalised in Liverpool last night. Both well known Tories in a city that detests the party like no other. No one could possibly condone that behaviour, but it maybe highlights the anger growing in some quarters. Once the Brexit penny fully drops, compounded by covid 19, I can see things getting very ugly indeed before the next one.

Given it is the elderly doing most of the dying I’d still have thought they were killing far more of their own voterbase than anyone else’s. By saying that the alt-right is a science/logic-free zone, just look at Trump’s ‘super-spreader’ fascist rally events.

PS FWIW I have a suspicion the Tory paymasters don’t care about about the next election and will have done their Brexit market shorting and asset-stripping by then and will be long gone. The party are certainly doing way too little to placate the ‘red wall’ areas and there is some real backlash occurring as far as I can tell. As an extreme example I read earlier that Ken Dodd and Cilla Black had their graves vandalised in Liverpool last night. Both well known Tories in a city that detests the party like no other. No one could possibly condone that behaviour, but it maybe highlights the anger growing in some quarters. Once the Brexit penny fully drops, compounded by covid 19, I can see things getting very ugly indeed before the next one.
It’s poorer and BAME elderly people doing most of the dying. They’ll have done the maths.

More from the damning report from Monbiot on T&T

"While public health is in meltdown, Serco’s shares are surging. It has made such profits this year that it is now considering a dividend. If it issues one, it will consist of money passed from us, via the government, into shareholders’ pockets.

People ask me, “is this a cockup or a conspiracy?”. The correct answer is both. The government is using the pandemic to shift the boundaries between public and private provision, restructure public health and pass lucrative contracts to poorly qualified private companies. The inevitable result is a galactic cockup. This is what you get from a government that values money above human life."

Typical.

Roll out a mass rapid testing system.

Good.

Let local health authorities be responsible for it.

Good.

Do not provide the resources for them to coordinate the testing nor Trace positives tests.

Choose a testing figure that has no underlying evidence of effectiveness.

Typical.

Stephen

That is certainly my viewpoint. Anything less than a lockdown isn’t a lockdown. The experiences in the past few pages from Del monaco and Gavreid highlight perfectly the transmission risk of schools and other public buildings being open. Arbitrarily closing a few classes of business will do little if anything when one factors the way the virus works and the typical human family groups and what incomprehensibly remains open. The government have to look at this logically from a transmission perspective if there is to be any attempt to curb exponential growth. The whole idea that children, university students etc are fine because they only get mild symptoms is just bullshit, they need to be viewed as a a key viral transport medium. I don’t want to get all computer geek, but it’s like looking at the top layer of the OSI model without the slightest clue about the lower levels. Maybe with really, really effective testing, track and trace etc something other than lockdown could be safe, but as it is we are just rearranging the deck-chairs. Basically at the moment it really is everyone for themselves - just stay away from risk if you have the ability to do so as the national strategy is clearly not working.

I don't trust the app either, mine has pinged at me seven times in the last week to say I've been near someone who has reported having Covid, each time it follows up with - "We have accessed your risk level and you do not need to take any further action" - so what is the point in telling me?

I don't trust the app either, mine has pinged at me seven times in the last week to say I've been near someone who has reported having Covid, each time it follows up with - "We have accessed your risk level and you do not need to take any further action" - so what is the point in telling me?

Mine pings me at 3am to tell me there’s been a change in my area’s designation.

There’s not been any change.

Stephen

Read the code, it is in the public domain

there is a reason why this happens, and it is nothing to do with the app and everything to do with the API written by Google and Apple. I believe a new version has been or about to be released, but I think App authors might need to rewrite some code as well.

Jenrick spreading his non-science based bile this morning.... apparently we don't need a national lockdown, which to be fair, as it's all going so well, is definitely the case :rolleyes:

Meanwhile in the real world the widely respected REACT-1 scientific study has this to say:

'Critical stage' with 96,000 a day getting COVID-19 as more stringent action needed, scientists say

Highlights:

Nearly 100K a day getting it
R well over 2 in London and other areas of England
1 in 36 people in Yorkshire/Humber has it
Current approach is not working.

That is a very, very good explanation of airborne aerosol transmission. The government really should be paying attention to it rather than pandering to JD Gamonspoons etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back