advertisement

Should ‘poor’ be a protected characteristic?

Easy to forget that there are places in the world were the choices are between different means of potential death; potentially being blown to pieces or potentially drowning, potential incarceration or potential drowning.

Like France?

Nobody has forgotten the things you list.

There are different mind-sets in different cultures, though comments on here obv. tend to be from a caring British mind-set (?) In Baghdad a couple of days ago there were large and ugly street protests. Nothing new there, except maybe that the reason for the protest was to commemorate the anniversary of the one last year, where a number died.

I only know what I read, and this may not be accurate, but the irony of this situation made me realise the vast difference in cultural and religious thinking across the world, not to mention lifestyle etc.

Not a word about Tory scum, soap suds or flotsam but I do wonder if the former share a cultural or religious difference from the rest of the population as would seem to be alluded to in some posts. :)

Like France?

Gosh! France is an oppressive regime forcing it citizens to flee for fear of their lives?

I’ve heard the French are pretty unpleasant, but I never realised they were that bad!

Like France?

Tabs, I think you need a fuller understanding of international asylum law than I have, to be able to comment on this stuff but key issues seem to be:

- You don't have to claim asylum in the first 'safe' country you come to (this is a common misconception).

- You should claim asylum in the country you wish to have asylum in.

- Many people have connections to the UK, other family members, language skills, whatever, which make the UK their preferred choice. Therefore, they are expected/required to claim asylum in the UK. Not least because if they claim it elsewhere, the current regime will just knock back any subsequent requests for asylum in the UK on the basis that they should stick with their first choice.

Tabs, I think you need a fuller understanding of international asylum law than I have, to be able to comment on this stuff but key issues seem to be:

- You don't have to claim asylum in the first 'safe' country you come to (this is a common misconception).

- You should claim asylum in the country you wish to have asylum in.

- Many people have connections to the UK, other family members, language skills, whatever, which make the UK their preferred choice. Therefore, they are expected/required to claim asylum in the UK. Not least because if they claim it elsewhere, the current regime will just knock back any subsequent requests for asylum in the UK on the basis that they should stick with their first choice.

Nobody has said they were seeking asylum, that I am aware of.

We do not know of connections or not to their preferred country.

There were different choices.

Gosh! France is an oppressive regime forcing it citizens to flee for fear of their lives?

I’ve heard the French are pretty unpleasant, but I never realised they were that bad!

Nice twist.

Exactly, you make my point.

Nobody has said they were seeking asylum, that I am aware of.

We do not know of connections or not to their preferred country.

There were different choices.
There’s this incredible mismatch between what you know about this subject and the forthright nature of your opinions on it. God knows most of us are happy to talk loudly out of our arses much of the time, but Jesus look at the subject matter here and look at what you’re doing: finger-wagging at dead refugees over their poor choices, blaming parents for the deaths of their children. I wonder if it were anyone else but refugees would you feel as comfortable coming out with this stupid, moralising crap about the dead. Zero knowledge, zero empathy.

There’s this incredible mismatch between what you know about this subject and the forthright nature of your opinions on it. God knows most of us are happy to talk loudly out of our arses much of the time, but Jesus look at the subject matter here and look at what you’re doing: finger-wagging at dead refugees over their poor choices, blaming parents for the deaths of their children. I wonder if it were anyone else but refugees would you feel as comfortable coming out with this stupid, moralising crap about the dead. Zero knowledge, zero empathy.

I could post something empathetic. It wouldn’t do anyone any good.

What is good is that I can express an opinion, without the personal comments.

What is bad is that there appears to be only one valid opinion, and any other opinion must be because of lack of knowledge.

Surely if we all had the same knowledge, we would have the same opinion... yet that isn’t the case.

What is bad is that there appears to be only one valid opinion, and any other opinion must be because of lack of knowledge.

Surely if we all had the same knowledge, we would have the same opinion... yet that isn’t the case.
Well, we all know a family drowned. You seem to claim to know it was through poor choice.

Nice twist.

Exactly, you make my point.
It isn’t t a twist though. You’re argument has been about choice, asylum seekers have the legal right to chose the country to seek asylum in, so if you believe in freedom of choice, you should be arguing to let asylum seekers in. Not keep them out

It isn’t t a twist though. You’re argument has been about choice, asylum seekers have the legal right to chose the country to seek asylum in, so if you believe in freedom of choice, you should be arguing to let asylum seekers in. Not keep them out

If you care about your family, you don’t put them at such a risk.

Why should they have to beg in the first place?

Homeless person presents to the council. They are (if lucky) accommodated in a damp, coockroach-infested shithole.

Is "beggars can't be choosers" an adequate response to this scenario?

If you care about your family, you don’t put them at such a risk.
You seem to assume that such choices come from a comfortable place such as ours. We chose not to put our families at risk because we have the great good fortune to have much better options. Other people in other countries do not have the same range of choices with death at one end, and something very British* at the other. For some it’s a gamble. A gamble between one choice of potential death, and another.

*That is not meant as sarcasm, we should be proud enough of our privileges to extend them to others less fortunate

Defending callousness and ignorance on the grounds of diversity. I see.

advertisement

Back