advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer II

Status
Not open for further replies.
One post on this as it's off topic.

Nope, I blame anyone who does not use the road properly and there are many motorists who could learn a thing or two and then some. I have no problem with most cyclists (I am a casual one myself) and I don't even care when they run a red light if nothing is coming as what is the harm in that? However, as said, in London there is a small but significant proportion who routinely do stupid and aggressive stuff like ride through red lights with pedestrians or vehicles crossing, ride on busy pavements, cycle across the front of oncoming traffic, go the wrong way down one way streets, don't have lights at night (and seem to dress in black to amplify the effect), harass people in parks with their aggressive tactics etc. etc. and I strongly suspect as a percentage this proportion is higher than the motoring fraternity that behave in the same manner.

They do a lot of this deliberately to make some sort of point and they rely heavily on other road users to react and look out for their safety.This is the bit I find most weird as whenever I cycle I take the attitude that I am the most vulnerable of road users and put self preservation first, I do the same in a car when driving near large goods vehicles... it's common sense isn't it? Yes they may do things wrong, but I would rather stay alive than try and make a point and 'be in the right'. As it happens I stopped cycling when I lived in London (thankfully I'm no longer there) not because of the traffic, but because of the aggressive nature of some of these cyclists (in one such incident I was told to go up the inside of a truck turning left or get off the road as there is no place for being scared, I pointed out that being alive was more important to me and he shoved his way past practically knocking me off my bike capping it off with a F**k off t**t to boot).

Yes, they're not polluting the atmosphere, but until London sorts its transport system out cars and vans will always be on the streets. And for journeys a long way outside of the city cycling is not an option. All that said I am a supporter of more cycling infrastructure, but I do see a looming problem with some of these aggressive types. It's all very well being the big man and making a point, but I think obeying the rules of the road however you are using it is important so you are unlikely to convince me that they are not an issue any more than you are likely to convince me some of the arseholes who drive way too fast and expect other vehicles to get out of their way aren't an issue. It's not about cyclists vs drivers vs pedestrians, it's about law abiding road users vs arseholes that think they're above the law!
Sorry but that is a load of crap.

The stats just don’t bear this out.

I’ve had friends nearly killed by motorists while on their bikes, yet, despite doing circa 8,000 miles a year on my bike I’ve yet to come near hitting a pedestrian. Obversely, I encounter near misses & aggressive driving wherever I cycle; just had a bus come onto my side of the road who missed me by about 6 inches.

But, yes, cyclists are the real scourge on our roads.

We can all quote extreme examples but when it comes to inflicting harm the humble motorist wins at every turn.

Sorry but that is a load of crap.

The stats just don’t bear this out.

I’ve had friends nearly killed by motorists while on their bikes, yet, despite doing circa 8,000 miles a year on my bike I’ve yet to come near hitting a pedestrian. Obversely, I encounter near misses & aggressive driving wherever I cycle; just had a bus come onto my side of the road who missed me by about 6 inches.

But, yes, cyclists are the real scourge on our roads.

We can all quote extreme examples but when it comes to inflicting harm the humble motorist wins at every turn.

Do you live in London?

PS You seem to be another who can't read.... I didn't say all cyclists and I didn't say exclusively cyclists... try actually reading people's posts before launching into a tirade of binary nonsense.

PPS Just thinking, I cycled for decades all round Manchester and cycle in Norfolk now and I can count the number of near misses I've had on the fingers of one hand, maybe the problems you are experiencing don't lie entirely with the drivers, HTH!

Do you live in London?

PS You seem to be another who can't read.... I didn't say all cyclists and I didn't say exclusively cyclists... try actually reading people's posts before launching into a tirade of binary nonsense.

PPS Just thinking, I cycled for decades all round Manchester and cycle in Norfolk now and I can count the number of near misses I've had on the fingers of one hand, maybe the problems you are experiencing don't lie entirely with the drivers, HTH!
As I said, you cannot make assumptions based upon extreme examples. Look at the stats, deaths of pedestrians & cyclists at the hand of car drivers; it really is very shocking.

You seem to assume that I am at fault? I ride predominantly in the Peak District, exactly the place where people are expected to ride & walk for leisure yet I encounter & see dangerous driving pretty much every time I go out.

You stated, without any facts other than your own bias that the % of dangerous cyclists (in London) is higher than motorists? What utter nonsense. I believe there are more uninsured drivers than cyclists in total. Look at the massive increase in speeding during lockdown but yes, cyclists eh?

I fail to see how your observations are in any way relevant to the incident involving Sir K. Do we know anything of the facts relating to the accident?

Apologies for being overly sensitive about the ongoing destruction being wrought upon vulnerable users of infrastructure.

As I said, you cannot make assumptions based upon extreme examples. Look at the stats, deaths of pedestrians & cyclists at the hand of car drivers; it really is very shocking.

You seem to assume that I am at fault? I ride predominantly in the Peak District, exactly the place where people are expected to ride & walk for leisure yet I encounter & see dangerous driving pretty much every time I go out.

You stated, without any facts other than your own bias that the % of dangerous cyclists (in London) is higher than motorists? What utter nonsense. I believe there are more uninsured drivers than cyclists in total. Look at the massive increase in speeding during lockdown but yes, cyclists eh?

I fail to see how your observations are in any way relevant to the incident involving Sir K. Do we know anything of the facts relating to the accident?

Apologies for being overly sensitive about the ongoing destruction being wrought upon vulnerable users of infrastructure.

This is off topic so I'm leaving it here, but you don't live in London so with all due respect you have no direct knowledge of the type of cyclist I am talking about. It does, in my experience, seem to be more or less a London 'thing'. I do agree with your observations in general though the difference being that on any journey I made in London I saw dangerous driving and cycling every single time!

This is off topic so I'm leaving it here, but you don't live in London so with all due respect you have no direct knowledge of the type of cyclist I am talking about. It does, in my experience, seem to be more or less a London 'thing'. I do agree with your observations in general though the difference being that on any journey I made in London I saw dangerous driving and cycling every single time!
I don’t live in London, I did used to visit pretty regularly & it is a hyped up environment. I actually think that driving in the capital is generally more aggressive & cycling is definitely different to where I live. However, I just see it as a false equivalence given the respective ‘harms’ done.

I think the worst I’ve ever inflicted upon a driver is a short perceived delay to their journey whereas some motorists see my existence as an affront & engage in dangerous behaviour.

Driving is a privilege not a right.

But, yes, let’s leave it there as we generally agree more than not.

Surely there are lessons to be learned given the SNP have never hidden from taking a very firm and vocal anti-fascist and anti-authoritarian stance and in that process succeeded in wiping both the Tories and Labour right out of Scotland.

Let's hope they stay ' wiped ' out of Scotland .

lol

https://twitter.com/channel4news/status/1322201481966137345?s=21

Really refreshing levels of contempt here, of the kind you usually only see directed at the left. Hopefully this is the kind of thing we’ll start seeing more of as younger interviewers start to displace the old dinosaurs. It’s going to be increasingly difficult to find journalists under 40 who don’t think these people are just completely pointless arseholes.

He’s really not happy about it! What a prick.

Alistair Campbell talking some sense on the same page (Twitter). He’s 100% right in sticking a lot of blame for Brexit on Corbyn, and that will turn out to be an absolutely defining aspect of this country’s decline. Whilst Labour obviously don’t own it the way the Tories do, their spineless cowering under Captain Feckless certainly helped the far-right get exactly what they wanted without credible challenge.

Alistair Campbell talking some sense on the same page (Twitter). He’s 100% right in sticking a lot of blame for Brexit on Corbyn, and that will turn out to be an absolutely defining aspect of this country’s decline. Whilst Labour obviously don’t own it the way the Tories do, their spineless cowering under Captain Feckless certainly helped the far-right get exactly what they wanted without credible challenge.

He should look at himself in the mirror - Brexit is all about a rejection of his politics...

Right. More analysis please from the guy who helped blow up the Labour Party with People's Vote, then blew up People's Vote, ensuring the hardest of hard Brexits. Greatest political mind of his generation.

Just laughing right now at all these horrible old bastards. That CH4 clip has cheered me right up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back